PDA

View Full Version : How do I set TPS and Base idle

svobud
04-04-2002, 06:49 PM
How do I set my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) ?

To set the TPS you will need the following tools.
1. Small Phillips screwdriver
2. Digital Voltmeter
3. Analog Voltmeter

The base idle needs to be set properly prior to setting the TPS. see below for instructions on setting base idle

The next thing to do is hook up the analog meter to the green and Black wires. With the key on open and close the throttle body slowly, you should see the needle move in a smooth arc without jumping around. If the needle jumps there is a dead spot in the TPS and it will need to be replaced.

The next step is to set the TPS to the proper voltage with the key in the on position. Using your digital meter, connect to the same wires as you did in the above. The TPS voltage should be as close to .90V with the TB in the closed position. At full open (WOT) should be around 4.5V to 4.75 V. If the TPS is not within the above settings, loosen the 2 phillips head screws and rotate the TPS until you get to .90V at closed throttle. Tighten the screws, and recheck your settings again.

How do I set my Base Idle?

To set your base idle you will need to have the car running, at operating temperature, all accessories off.

The next step is to disconnect the IAC (Idle Air Controller). The engine speed should slow to around 750 or it may stall. The proper setting is listed on the emissions decal on the cover of the coil.

With the IAC still disconnected set the idle speed using the adjustment screw on the front of the TB. Operate the throttle a few times to make sure that it is set properly.

Turn off the engine and reconnect the IAC and start the car. After a few minutes the idle should set itself around 950 to 1025 RPM. After doing this procedure, it may be necessary to reset the TPS.

thanks to Scott W for writing out this info

izzy
07-20-2002, 05:23 PM
thanx a lot for these instructions, my tps has always been off since i bought the car. The car runs fine until i get off the freeway or a long drive in fifth usually and when i come to a stop, its kinda like i have a vacuum leak or something but my idle goes crazy like i have a big *** cam or something. Then eventually it turns off. Im tired of having to feather it at stop lights all the time. I hooked the car up to the Scanner at school and it told me everything was fine except for the tps was out of range...meaning i guess i gotta set my tps. I do have a question though, I don't really know how to acces my tps(where exactly it is) and are these instructions for all year svos? Mines is an early 85 (march) and was wondering if these intructions would work for my car?

thanx,
izzy

SVOeric
07-20-2002, 07:40 PM
the instructions are fine for all years of SVO's

the TPS is located on the throttlebody, and the heads of the screws you must loosen to adjust it point towards the firewall.

I happen to have a spare sitting here on my desk, here is a pic.

Part #'s are

Motorcraft CX-1018
Ford E5FZ-9B989-C

1985-86
Motorcraft CX-1135
Ford E6ZZ-9B989-A

izzy
07-21-2002, 07:42 PM
This TPS, are these all the same on all svos? Will these instructions work for all years?

thanx.

SVOeric
07-21-2002, 07:46 PM
The instructions are the same for all year SVO's

the only difference I know of between 84, and 85-86 is the connector is different, therefore it is a different part #

kiwi
04-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Eric, I see your desktop TPS is a little "smudged"/ I have not checked mine & if need be/or is it OKAY to clean it/Or it does not affect its operation?:confused:

SVOeric
04-28-2003, 08:08 PM
hummm--- as small as that thing is, it would be a PAIN to clean..

Maybe take a q-tip with some alcohol and wipe inside it, then some diaelectric grease to lube it ???

might be worth a try if you are going to replace one anyway...

NY eric
05-11-2003, 04:35 PM
OK I have looked everywhere on my 86 and I cant find the emission sticker. It is supposed to have the base idle info on it. I am sure that I read somewhere that it is supposed to be 900 with the IAC disconnected. I just want confirmation. Also MY TPS wont go below .94v will this be a problem.
Any feedback would be hot

Eric

SVOeric
05-11-2003, 08:07 PM
My emission sticker has been gone for a long time -- I use 750 for base idle, and .94 for the TPS setting.. works pretty well

NavySVO
02-24-2005, 08:24 AM
in the above procedure for checking/setting the TPS, it states "The next thing to do is hook up the analog meter to the green and Black wires". Where are the test points for these at? Do I remove a cover or dust boot for access?

SVOeric
02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
anywhere along the green and black wires... the back of the connector (where it connect into the vehicle wiring harness) works as a good place

kiwi
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
poke the test leads (if sharp) into the insulation of the wires...

Philc
03-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I've found the easiest way to check voltage is to make a little harness out of a junkyard TPS and wiring harness- this goes between the TPS and your wiring harness, and has aligator clips to attach to your voltage meter leads. makes it 100 times easier!!

russde
03-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Philc
I've found the easiest way to check voltage is to make a little harness out of a junkyard TPS and wiring harness- this goes between the TPS and your wiring harness, and has aligator clips to attach to your voltage meter leads. makes it 100 times easier!!

A Picture is worth a thousand words Phil.....
Thanks,

I meant: "please post a picture of your setup Phil"

worked_xr
07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
A couple quick question... what are the effects of setting the TPS higher (~1.0v) versus lower (~0.9v)? Is the TPS setting the same regardless of which ecu is being used? I've seen unsupported documentation that the PE ecu prefers a lower TPS setting than other ecus.

Any feedback much appreciated.

dynoguy
04-17-2009, 12:07 AM
On most Fords the TPS needs to be less than 1 volt with throttle closed so the ECM knows the car is idling. If you set TPS voltage over 1 the computer thinks the engine is at part throttle. This can cause all kinds of problems.