PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Issue

TheSVTKid
10-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Ok I just had my SVO tranny rebuilt like 6 months ( 1,500) miles ago. And it's acting up again. 3rd gear syncro keeps going bad. And I dont' even beat on this car. I drive it on nice sunny days, nice and easy. Is this a common issue.

Now my second question, I have a V-8 t-5 that is going in. Now what do I do as far as a bushing or bearing that goes on the end of the imput shaft. I have heard all sorts of mixed reviews. I have heard get a V-8 one, get a bushing...

What is the real way to put this V-8 T-5 in this car. I am just sick of fixing the SVO's tranny.

Any ideas?

EA

dgallo
10-21-2002, 10:02 AM
If I am not mistaken, the V8 T5 has a shorter input shaft than the T5 for the 4cyl mustang, therefore it won't fit in the SVO. Also someone correct me of I am wrong, there is no difference between the two transmissions as far as strength is concerned. They are both T5's.

SVOeric
10-21-2002, 01:45 PM
you are correct on the length of the input shaft... but it will still work. the diameter of the end of the shaft is also different. You just need the special bushing to take the place of the pilot bearing.

I also believe you are correct on the strength, except for a couple of minor details, the v-8 transmissions have a higher first gear, which does allow them to handle a little more torque on takeoff. They also have a larger input shaft (as mentioned) which allows them to handle a little more torque)

None of this however has anything to do with a 3rd gear synchro.

I'm not sure what could be causing that problem.

I keep hearing people tell me that their v-8 t-5 is so much better than their SVO T-5. as long as their t-5 is 85.5, or 86, it is the WC T-5, and the same transmission Ford used until until the started using the next version of the T-5 (in the cobra) which I believe was called the T-5Z, which is a standard WC T-5, with a upgraded input shaft, and shaft bearing (again, to handle a little more torque)

My guess is these guys are seeing more difference in the shifters than in the transmissions.

None of this really helps with your 3rd gear problem tho Kid.. (sorry)

xgap
10-23-2002, 09:16 PM
85.5-86 svo trans ratios
3.5 2.14 1.39 1 0.78

90+ 5.0 trans
3.35 1.99 1.33 1 0.68

svobud
10-23-2002, 10:22 PM
I think I've posted this link several times...but just in case you missed it, it's a great reference ....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml

sader123
10-25-2002, 05:37 PM
I would swap input shaft from the svo tranny to the v-8 tranny, both a 1:1 ratio and it should fit !

ediii
11-01-2002, 09:28 PM
The first thing I would do is go back to the rebuilder. If you haven't been beating on it it should still be good.

1HOTSVO
11-06-2002, 08:33 PM
I agree, I would beat on your tranny builder first.
I made a ton on power (330HP) and the SVO tranny took it for quite a long time.
If in the end you go with the V8 tranny, the swap is very simple.
If you have an 87-93 tranny, all you need is the correct bearing. I forget the part number but the guys at D&D know the part and can get it for you.
If you have a later model tranny (I used a 94 Cobra T5 - rated for 310lbs tq, but will take more in short bursts), you will need to swap the shaft to a 93 V8 style and use the same bearing as I mentioned above. Again, you can get the shaft for about $75 from D&D.
The next problem that comes in play is the gear ratio. You will need to match your gears to get best performance.
The best gear ratio I came up with and am using is a 4.30 rear-end since the first gear in the 94 tranny is 3.35. With this configuration the gear match very well through 5th gear. If you have a 93, etc. tranny, you will need to use 4.56 gears but you will see a big difference in RPM since 4th gear is 1:1.

If you have not already done it, I would also recommend the 8.8 rear-end upgrade.

Good luck with your project!
Brian