PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler reviews?

indiana dave
11-02-2002, 12:58 PM
What brand intercooler are you running, and what benifits/drawbacks do you see?
Stock
T-Bird
Spearco
Interrad
Motion dynamics "improved" stock intercooler?
Other?

indiana dave
11-02-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm running a T-Bird intercooler on mine...
Only problem, it doesn't have a lip on the intake side and hardware store hose clamps won't hold it under prolonged boost.
I intend to remedy that by either welding a bead around the tube to form a lip, or pop-rivit a thin strip around it.
I also will be visiting a turbo & diesel shop for some heavy-duty hose clamps.

Also, in it's stock location, I know it's not optimum for cool air.

SVOPaul
11-02-2002, 04:52 PM
You're overlooking the obvious and creating too much work for yourself.....put a good quality hose on there along with a decent clamp and you won't have that problem. If you are still running stock SVO hoses with that IC then the hoses are quite obviously your problem. Having a bead welded on will work but a bit much work considering there are much better IC options out there. Pop rivets are just a bad idea plain and simple....keep the chance of small things flying around and possibly into the turbo and/or engine and your wallet will thank you later.

I'm running a spearco....all the benefits and no drawbacks other than having to be aware that you have less ground clearance up front.

indiana dave
11-02-2002, 05:50 PM
I am running heavy-duty hoses... sorry I didn't mention that.
I've got the heaviest stainless steel clamps I could find at the hardware store...
It's fine around town, and occasional stop-light war, but at 17-18psi all the way down the front straight at Putnam Park road course, it couldn't hold the pressure.
God point about the rivets...
I figure with the welded bead, and better hose clamps, it ought to be worry free at any amount of boost.

drewkeen
11-02-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by SVOPaul
I'm running a spearco....all the benefits and no drawbacks other than having to be aware that you have less ground clearance up front.

you like it? how much better than stock one?

SVOPaul
11-03-2002, 11:58 AM
There is no comparison to the stock one, it is far better...hands down. I do think it is a bit overpriced since Turbonetics bought Spearco and jacked the price up. Currently Reed at Turbo Specialties and I are looking into the possibility of producing a similar kit(basically a knock off) which could be sold for much less than what Turbonetics priced the spearco unit at but nothing concrete yet, we are still in the cost analyizing stage.

In the meantime, if you happen across a used spearco kit...buy it! you'll love it!

gbeaird
11-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Paul,

Build it and they will come! :-)

Dave,

We are running a TC IC on our 86. I added this mod before I found out about the replacement HD IC hose that Paul and Jim sell. Get it! Although I am running factory boost settings, to combat the lack of a lip on the end of the outlet end of that IC, I modified the end with three small sheet metal screws.

I found some small, round-head sheet metal screws. I _think_ they were #6, 1/2" long. They may have been shorter. I drilled three holes approximately 3/8" from the end of the outlet of the IC, so the screws would tap in quickly, but not expand/crack the lip when screwed in. I then screwed them in snugly. When the IC hose is in place, there is no way for them to go anywhere. I used heavy duty marine exhaust hose. Gates makes it, and most autoparts stores stock this. Depending on the parts droid you get, you can get it by the foot, or may have to buy a 3' length. They actually sell it by the inch, but they rarely want to do this. You can guess how I got mine.

2+ years of at least once-a-month autocrosses later, and we have had NO hose failure. Yes, the IC is not exactly legal for stock class autocross competition, but few knew what they were looking at. The car is now enjoying semi-retirement.

Gene Beaird
86 2R SVO
Pearland, Texas

indiana dave
11-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Gene,
I am running heavier hoses...
I considered the sheet metal screw thing too.

I'm going to try even better hoses & clamp from a local turbo & diesel shop before I resort to running a bead around the tube.

So anyone know anybody running the interrad? I can't find their website lately, but it looks like an awsome piece.
It would definately make for a cleaner installation and appearance.

lonchair
11-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Here is my take on my Spearco:
http://svo.driversfound.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68

I'm still modifying it to get it to fit right. It seams like everytime I look at it, I notice something else that ain't right. This winter I'm gonna pull it off the car and make a new scoop out of rubber (protection against road hazards), weld a solid strip on the back (so if it ever gets shoved back, the pully won't get into the cooling fins), and cut the mounting tabs off and reposition them so they actualy line up with the brackets that mount to the swaybar and power steering rack bolts.

In short, If you are gonna buy a Spearco, get a used one made by Spearco, not one of the POS ones made by Turbonetics.

Ross L
03-30-2003, 09:48 PM
I picked up 3 mph(Q mile) with nothing more than a spearco. And this was over a "iced" stock SVO ic. Ross

NO 5 OH
05-14-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by indiana dave
What brand intercooler are you running, and what benifits/drawbacks do you see?
Stock
T-Bird
Other?

I've run the stock and Turbocoupe intercooler on my SVO, and the drawback to them is what everybody else will tell you... not a big enough core and over the highest area of heat in the motor. The Turbocoupe IC offers more core area and is better than the stocker... but it's still in the stock location which isn't optimal.

The "other" intercooler option I'm running now is a modified Buick Grand National. It's been modified with the Duttweiler neck and I made my own lower portion of the shroud as it was a bit too low for my taste with the factory lower scoop. The inlet and outlet are now 2 1/2", just like a Spearco and the core measures 10" X 13"... and is roughly 3" or so deep. I had to make my own mounting brackets and fab up my own intercooler piping... as well as run a new fan as it's not feasable to run this intercooler and the stock fan. Even using aluminum tubing for intercooler piping and expensive silicone hoses and t-bolt clamps... I've effectively made an intercooler that I'd say is comparable to a Spearco at less than half the cost. If you want to keep your AC and run a front mount IC... this is the way to go.

There are basically two options out there for intercoolers now for the SVO... spend a thousand dollars on a new Spearco or make your own. I'll post a full review and pictures if anybody's interested.

Shannon

svo375
06-05-2003, 11:13 PM
i'm looking at using a volvo 740 intercooler and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of a difference the length of the intake or return air piping makes to the performance of the intercooler or the turbo?

jayG
06-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Im interested in pictures :D

NO 5 OH
06-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by jayG
Im interested in pictures :D

Ask and ye shall recieve ;)

This is the only pic I can find right now that is of the intercooler and piping complete. I've got several others but they're on the camera at the moment and I don't have access to them.

If you would like further pics just ask and I'll try to oblige :D

http://www.planetboost.com/images/svo/engine.JPG

jayG
06-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the pic Shannon!Btw you wouldnt happen to have a pic from the opposite angle?(from the back of the IC?)

NO 5 OH
06-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the pic Shannon!Btw you wouldnt happen to have a pic from the opposite angle?(from the back of the IC?)

Hey no problem Jay... always willing to help out ;)

I do have some pics from when we were first mocking in the intercooler, but that was without the piping run to the inlet and outlet. If you can tell me specifically what you're looking for, I can describe it for you as well as probably get a pic or two.

Felix Wankel
06-09-2003, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of how you mounted it to the car.

jayG
06-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks Shannon!I'd like to see a pic of the mount.

NO 5 OH
06-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks Shannon!I'd like to see a pic of the mount.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you and Felix sooner. I have some pics on the camera that I think will let you see the mount, but right now I'm gonna have to remake the driver's side mount as I had to remove the plastic piece that holds up the lower radiator hose and now the hose is hanging down below the front bumper cover. It's not really hurting anything... but I just don't really like it all too well ;)

If you guys are thinking about using this intercooler as well, it would be advisable to remake the lower part of the shroud (that pulls the incoming air in to cool the IC) as even on a stock ride-height car the bottom of the shroud was about 3" above the ground :( I'll get pics of the mounts and the shroud as soon as I can.

kiwi
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
No room for a fan on the crank pulley!:(

kiwi
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
2nd One....

kiwi
06-18-2003, 11:28 AM
3rd.......

svopantera
10-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by NO 5 OH
Hey no problem Jay... always willing to help out ;)

I do have some pics from when we were first mocking in the intercooler, but that was without the piping run to the inlet and outlet. If you can tell me specifically what you're looking for, I can describe it for you as well as probably get a pic or two.

Hey, would you be willing to fab the pipes and brackets and sell it to me?

Kris:)

coulomb67
04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
I put my Spearco on a couple of weeks ago and had only two issues. One is ground clearance with the scoop installed. Maybe not a problem for a stock ride height but a lowered car...for get about it. I ended up cutting off the bottom 2 inches and then putting a rubber dam cut from a Pontiac and screwed on. Works great!! Also, the bottom bracket wouldn't slide over the power steering bolt and the horizontal bracket needed to have the hole slotted to fit. Of course, that may have been because I tweaked the brackets pretty good trying to leave Taco Bell!!

XaeroSavvy
05-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I bought mine with some huge Ron Davis front mounted intercooler. I'll have pics soon.

v8eatr
05-14-2005, 02:17 AM
I had a front mount two core intercooler and was real proud of the work till i showed it to ken duttwieler he said"it looked good but won't start cooling the air till you hit 60 mph,If I were you I'd mount it here with a eng fan from a vw rabbit on it" so with head in hand went back to the drawing board,
turns out it would fit sideways right were the stock air box was.the intercooler I had bought in 88 had the inlet and out let on the same side so the tubing run was pretty short plus with a fan on one side and 4inch flex pipe routing air from in front of raider with an elbow for a dryer ext vent. cant belive I paid $1000. for it back then I bought it from a place that I saw in TURBO mag.they went out of bissness soon after think it was called pacific somthing in long beach ca Ill look for photos see if I can find them

ps I'm just sharing what I did please dont nail me

indiana dave
10-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Thought I'd post this link I found on another site comparing flow rates of different junkyard intercoolers.
http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/intercoolers.html

XaeroSavvy
10-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, it seems that no one else has my intercooler, but here's a pic. It's the one from Motion Dynamics. Any thoughts?

Not to mention the double fans are mounted to it.

NavySVO
10-22-2005, 06:21 AM
that is a nice setup, but for $2000.00 +............:eek2:

XaeroSavvy
10-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by NavySVO
that is a nice setup, but for $2000.00 +............:eek2:
Funny thing. I bought the car with that setup. Only paid $2,250 for the car.

So, I bought the intercooler, and the SVO came with it. :D