PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump for 84 SVO

SVOTom
11-17-2002, 08:19 PM
Have a 255 lph pump but the wimpy in tank pickup won't take it. Will a 86 5.0 assembly mount the pump? The local ford dealer and the local junk yards have no idea of what I'm talking about. I don't want to keep buying parts I don't need.
Thanks...

SvoTy
11-17-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 1owner
Have a 255 lph pump but the wimpy in tank pickup won't take it. Will a 86 5.0 assembly mount the pump? The local ford dealer and the local junk yards have no idea of what I'm talking about. I don't want to keep buying parts I don't need.
Thanks...

The 86 assembly should be a direct hook up and mount to the new pump. The main thing that you have to watch on the 84's, is that they used a resistance wire on the ground for the in tank "pusher" pump. When you hook a 255 pump to it you "will' cook this wire.

You will find it in the wiring harness that comes through the hatch floor to the right of the spare tire well. Cut the black wire before the resistance part and splice (with solder and shrink tubing) yourself enough wire to get to a good ground.

Ty

SVOTom
11-18-2002, 07:35 AM
Thanks!
Not suprised Ford would'nt Say this...

fengler
10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
I keep reading these threads and i am confused on one issure. When i installe walbro pump, do i remove both of my 84 fuel pumps?

I know the pusher pump has a resistance wire and im supposed to replace that with a thicker wire, well am i supposed to leave the pusher pump in the tank or something? Or am i using my newly thickened wire as the ground for the new walbro?

notopstang
10-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Yes, the 255 LPH Walbro will replace both pumps. Usually people will replace the pump outside the tank with a fuel filter.

The resistance wire will be replaced by a ground wire which will be ground for the Walbro, IIRC. It's been a while since I did mine, and a year since I've even seen my turbo baby!

Others correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck!
--Javier

boostedbruiser
10-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Order of operation.

1. drop tank
2. remove old pump and pick up. Take note of fuel sock location and position
3. get a 87-93 pick up bracket, install new 255 pump (JY for bracket)
4. run new ground wire (for 84-85's) and ground to chassis (i just cut the wire off the connector harness and re pined the new wire to run through the stock connector. looks factory except a wire runs to the chassis and not back into the harness.
5. suggest replacing the seal for the filler tube.
6 remove any debres in the tank(mine had 8 ft of rubber hose in it)
7. Ensure fuel sock is in the correct position
8. reinstall tank, be sure to not crush lines. Do not tighten the straps all the way
9. 84-85's require removal of inline pump and replace with a 90-9X ford ranger filter. PN ???? but i know its the same for a 90 ranger with 4.0 V6. use new clips for fuel line connections. if you plan on dual exhuast or already have it, take great care to reroute lines away from exhaust pipes.
double check all connections and tighten straps for tank.
10. turn key but only to the prime position and then check for leaks.
11. then have fun with your new pump.

Recommend fuel pressure gauge and also to get a HIGH PRESSURE walbro 255 pump. yes theres a difference. buy a 255, even if you don't think you'll need it. the price difference is minimal ,and it has TONS of room to grow.

If i forgot anything please advise.

Oh last thing take care on the connector on the top of the tank. i had a 255 pump in my car and the original inline, problem was the inline pump was the only one working because someone broke the connector for the top of the tank.

fengler
10-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Order of operation.

1. drop tank
2. remove old pump and pick up. Take note of fuel sock location and position
3. get a 87-93 pick up bracket, install new 255 pump (JY for bracket)
4. run new ground wire (for 84-85's) and ground to chassis (i just cut the wire off the connector harness and re pined the new wire to run through the stock connector. looks factory except a wire runs to the chassis and not back into the harness.
5. suggest replacing the seal for the filler tube.
6 remove any debres in the tank(mine had 8 ft of rubber hose in it)
7. Ensure fuel sock is in the correct position
8. reinstall tank, be sure to not crush lines. Do not tighten the straps all the way
9. 84-85's require removal of inline pump and replace with a 90-9X ford ranger filter. PN ???? but i know its the same for a 90 ranger with 4.0 V6. use new clips for fuel line connections. if you plan on dual exhuast or already have it, take great care to reroute lines away from exhaust pipes.
double check all connections and tighten straps for tank.
10. turn key but only to the prime position and then check for leaks.
11. then have fun with your new pump.

Recommend fuel pressure gauge and also to get a HIGH PRESSURE walbro 255 pump. yes theres a difference. buy a 255, even if you don't think you'll need it. the price difference is minimal ,and it has TONS of room to grow.

If i forgot anything please advise.

Oh last thing take care on the connector on the top of the tank. i had a 255 pump in my car and the original inline, problem was the inline pump was the only one working because someone broke the connector for the top of the tank.

Thanks! :cheers:

DIZSVO
04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Man if i just would have found this before posting in other threads. What is dfferant in the 84-85 mounts and the 87-93 mounts. can a spacer or somthing be made??

tateg
04-18-2007, 04:49 AM
The pump in the '84/'85 tank is *TINY* and the hanger for it is made for the *TINY* pump. It would be difficult to use it for a full size intank pump.