PDA

View Full Version : Will 3" downpipe do anything for me?

Turbo4
04-19-2002, 05:29 PM
I just came into a little extra cash and was wondering if a 3" downpipe is the next logical mod for me. Right not on my 86 SVO I've got:

K&N factory replacement
Gillis Boostvalve (set at approx. 17psi)
NGK TR5 plugs
Dynomax Super Turbos

What is the stock dual exhaust diameter on the 86? I raced a 5.0L last night and was enck & neck with him... he claimed to have 380hp but that's obviously BS (although my car was flyin' it definitely doesn't have that kind of power!)

Will I notice a perfomance increase with the 3" downpipe? I'd like to leave the rest of the system as is for now. Will it help?

svono50
04-19-2002, 06:08 PM
I would highly recommend it, especially based on the other mods you already have. A 3" DP w/o cat will bring on the boost about 200-300rpm quicker, mainly due to the reduction in exhaust back pressure.

The stock DP is 2.5" with it splitting into dual 2.25" for the mufflers and tailpipes. The stock factory cat-back is not a restriction up to 270hp. I can attest to this from my own dragstrip testing.

I think that other Mustang owner was either smelling too many exhaust fumes :clown-n: or else he was playing with you. I would opt for the first selection. See if he will put his car on the dyno to back up the 380hp claim ;) Later.

Turbo4
04-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks... anyone else have ideas?

I'm thinking of the Sacramento Mustang or ATR piece... any opinions on the two?

svono50 - As soon as the guy said "Yeah, I've got about 380 horse" I almost crashed... of course he would have clobbered me had he that much power... I figure he's probably closer to 280hp! His car sounded mean (exhaust & cam at least) but he didn't knw what an SVO was... he thought that I had a turbo'd 5.0L until I told him he just got beat by the mighty 2.3!:D

SVOeric
04-19-2002, 11:49 PM
I got the Sacramento 3" pipe on my car. While I like it fine, if I had it to do over again, I would get the pipe Paul, from SVP sells.

It doesn't neck down to 2.25 like the sacramento pipe I have does.

svobud
04-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Yes, I highly recommend a 3" DP on your set up - and I'm using the one from SVPU. Nice part. Stainless....and fits in snug really well. My set up is a bit more open than yours (no cat) - but I did increase a "DYNOed" REAR wheel HP by 17hp - 24lb TQ with a 3" exhaust upgrade on an otherwise - mostly stock car.

You'll hear me recommend SVPU alot. And, it's NOT only because me and Paul are friends who (along with 3 other guys) decided to create this club for the SVO enthusiast....BUT - because he'll shoot you a straight answer, part, and price....and, he's a SVO Enthusiast ...just like the rest of us :)

Support the vendors who support the enthusiast and parts/pricing will only get better.

Turbo4
04-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys... can someone link me to the "Paul" SVP 3" pipe? I didn't even know it existed! Thanks!

SVOeric
04-20-2002, 11:49 PM
you dont know Paul, at SVPU??

wow!!

www.svpu.com is his website...

he has more parts and stuff than he has listed on his site. I think he is in the progress of adding a lot more stuff..

SVO-SMITTY
04-22-2002, 10:13 AM
They are a must. Get one!