PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Relocation

chalkys_explorer
02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi Guys,
been a while but need a question answered. Want to go to dual exhaust on the 84. Already have a Magnaflow muffler and stainless 2.5 tailpipe on drivers side. Am planning on adding a 3"DP, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" to2.5" Y pipe and the drivers side of the LX 5.0 system.

Have already done the intank single pump swap (190lph) but left the stock fuel filter on the frame rail. Wondering if anyone has a photo or factory diagram of the location of the fuel filter on the 86 SVO's with the dual exhaust. I only have the maunals for 84 so I'm ouuta luck. thanks.

Chalky

Ken Potter
02-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Hope this helps...

chalkys_explorer
02-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Ken,
thanks for the pics. By the look of it the filter appears to be in the same place as my 93 LX 2.3L . Is this correct?? If so, theoretically, I can grab the fuel lines, pump bracket and bits of an 87-93 Mustang and retrofit to my car?? Is the path for the fuel lines different?? Thanks

Chris

NinjaBOY
03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Chris,

I've done this swap on a couple of 84's I've owned, and left the fuel filter in the same place as it was originally. I even kept the bracket for the fuel filter and pump and use it as a heat shield for the filter. There should be enough slack in the lines to keep things right where they are.

Roger

SvoRoLo
02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Chris,

I've done this swap on a couple of 84's I've owned, and left the fuel filter in the same place as it was originally. I even kept the bracket for the fuel filter and pump and use it as a heat shield for the filter. There should be enough slack in the lines to keep things right where they are.

Roger

Sorry to revive an old thread but I really need to know how you did this? I have held back on doing the 255hp lph swap for about three years already. I also read that you can modify the bracket to run a single fuel filter, does anyone have any photos of this modification or can anyone explain exactly where you would drill the holes. I'm currently in the middle of the swap right now. I would like to have enough clearance to run dual exhaust with flowmaster/spintech (I know it's a restrictive muffler but I will have cutouts when its time to play).

*I have the Ford Racing 255hp lph fuel pump the ranger filter with the longer inlet/outlet pipes and have wiring and soldering iron to bypass the resistor.

SvoRoLo
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
nvm I figured it out.

SvoTy
02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but I really need to know how you did this? I have held back on doing the 255hp lph swap for about three years already. I also read that you can modify the bracket to run a single fuel filter, does anyone have any photos of this modification or can anyone explain exactly where you would drill the holes. I'm currently in the middle of the swap right now. I would like to have enough clearance to run dual exhaust with flowmaster/spintech (I know it's a restrictive muffler but I will have cutouts when its time to play).

*I have the Ford Racing 255hp lph fuel pump the ranger filter with the longer inlet/outlet pipes and have wiring and soldering iron to bypass the resistor.

Be careful with that pump, just because it says 255 does not mean it is a high pressure pump.

Under boost you can see 70 lbs or more depending on how much boost you are running. A regular 255 designed for a V8 will start falling off around 50 pounds or so.

Stick a fuel pressure guage on it and check it out under boost.

The Walbro GSS340 255 is the best pump for these cars.

SvoRoLo
02-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Be careful with that pump, just because it says 255 does not mean it is a high pressure pump.

Under boost you can see 70 lbs or more depending on how much boost you are running. A regular 255 designed for a V8 will start falling off around 50 pounds or so.

Stick a fuel pressure guage on it and check it out under boost.

The Walbro GSS340 255 is the best pump for these cars.

I opted for the high pressure pump and cross referenced the part number before I installed the pump.