PDA

View Full Version : Question.

J-n-R
06-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone...

Some of you may know a company named Wheel Replicas. I work for them on the side a little and am good friends with the owner. I consult with him a lot on different wheel designs, and was instrumental in the design process with him on some of the newer designs he is coming out with.

What need, desire, or otherwise exists for the SVO's wheel? If the numbers were there to build a replica of it would there be any real interest here?

Obviously the ability to make the wheel in different sizes, finishes, etc. would be there.

just thought I would ask if there is any interest since I have the ear of the owner...

Ken Potter
06-09-2007, 08:22 PM
SVO wheels can be had for relatively cheap. Once refinished they look as good as new. The only thing I think might be of interest would be making them in 17". This would allow for bigger front brakes / SN95 swaps and keep the stock look somewhat. I feel this market would be very limited though and would probably cost more than they could be sold for in todays market.

SVOeric
06-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree with Ken.. Also -- SVO wheels, due to the large face are horrible for cooling brakes. I'm all for repro SVO stuff, but I just don't see it being worth his time to make them.

We would of course be up for any discounts we might be able to work out on standard 05 styled wheels (which fit the SVO pretty well)

J-n-R
06-09-2007, 08:59 PM
let me know what I need to do to set up as a dealer to do group buys or something along those lines and I should be able to get something going on the newer wheel designs for anyone here interested. I just want to make sure I am playing by the rules here...Too good a group to get in trouble...

SVOeric
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
the deal is easy. offer a discount to our members, and you get to become a supporting vendor (donating door prises for the reunion is always a plus as well) PM me if you want more specific details,
Thanks

svobrown
06-10-2007, 07:04 AM
J-n-R ?

I would love to see a copy of the speedline wheels that came on the saleen (*87?*) I would sale my dog to get a set of them!

J-n-R
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Funny you should ask...We are working on that one right now...

here is the thread over on the corral...

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=880272

Working with Jeff on the designs and which wheels to manufacture has been interesting. The whole wheel weight issues is something he works hard to keep down. For example, his FR5 wheel in 17x9 comes in at 20lbs on the nose. That is 4-5 lbs lighter than the stock Ford 17x8 bullitt wheel...

The challenge to making any of the wheels is keeping the weight down. Some wheels, like the 93 cobra wheel, just don't give you that much opportunity to remove weight because they have such a large surface area on the face of the wheel. I suspect the SVO's wheels would be the same.

I will relay any ideas to him to consider...

SVOeric
06-10-2007, 10:11 AM
here's the question tho, will they fit an SVO ? I know the lug pattern will, but will there be a version with 40mm offset ? Remember the SVO used much different offset than the sn95's.
Also -- will we be able to put center-caps on them :)
The SVO center hub sticks out farther too

svobrown
06-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah. 17" with 8's in front and 9's in back. I like the dull finish on them but will take what ever they make. Make them for the 05 and up mustang and put a deeper center cap to fit the svo.
I will also hold my breath until this happens. That wheel would look good on a white 07 GT. Market it for the new mustang. I'll buy them for mine.
Keep it clean with no bolts or rivets.
I'll make my own center cap to get that wheel.

MeZapU
06-10-2007, 12:00 PM
here's the question tho, will they fit an SVO ? I know the lug pattern will, but will there be a version with 40mm offset ? Remember the SVO used much different offset than the sn95's.
Also -- will we be able to put center-caps on them :)
The SVO center hub sticks out farther too

I agree. These are an SVO owners biggest concern.

J-n-R
06-10-2007, 12:19 PM
The plan is to bring in the wheels in for 4-lug fox applications and the 5-lug for the sn95 and later.

The higher offset wheels are not a big issue for us usually. For example, take our 18x9 fr5's. for the fox chasis cars we run the 9inch wide wheels are set at a +24mm offset. The 10's are 22mm...(18s)

The high offset version of the 9" wheel is 36mm and the 10's are 45mm. If I can locate a local SVO owner we can always test fit to see how everything lines up.