PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for next year.

indiana dave
10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
As great as the weekend, and all Reunions are... There are a couple suggestions I can make.

Name tags... Definately would help put Screen names to real names, and faces.

New member introductions. One example: There was an elderly couple who had never been to a reunion. They were walking around Saturday morning looking lost. Seemed they were hanging out Friday night, and nobody ever introduced themselves, or told them where or what time the show was... At the least, the directors should have name tags or something, and should keep an eye out for new faces. We could do better in this department. Seemed there were a couple other new people looking kinda lost Saturday morning. I told them where the maps and directions were at the front desk.

we should just book the whole dang hotel if we're in the same area next year!!!

if anyone else has anything to add, please do...
And if i can help with these, I will.

SVOeric
10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Anyone that looked lost got introduced to me, cause I walked up and introduced myself.
If you're talking about Larry Rickman, this is not his first Reunion, and he knows Bud and me.

We're probably not going to be in the same hotel next year, not enough trailer parking.

Alex L
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
an emergency response team, along with their phone numbers. Some issues that came up would have been resolved with a quick phone call. (and i bet henson got sick of me calling him :D )

Second the name tag suggestion.

Directions with exit numbers.

Chris Hadden
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry I missed this years reunion. Looked as though all that attended had a blast. I will be there next year if I have to push that stupid black car there. Maybe we could come up with another location, I like Ky in all but how about some where in the center of the U.S. Hey Gator G, maybe you could help us out with this. Just a little update, the SVO is under going some major surgery as we speak and it's feeling a bit under the weather. It is getting a new brain and we'll just say it's not running yet. Hope to have everthing situated out by next week, I'll post a thread when it's done. Missed seeing all this year. Later, Chris H

SVOeric
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Name tags were in my car. I just didn't get to handing them out.

if someone had mentioned it, I would have remembered to grab them!

TheViking
10-09-2007, 11:40 AM
We're probably not going to be in the same hotel next year, not enough trailer parking

Not to mention the strange behavior exhibited by some of the "employees" Sunday night. Where was Bud when we needed him?

SVOeric
10-09-2007, 11:49 AM
well there are hotels closer to the dyno/show/auto-x sites.

All-n-all, the hotel did a great job of keeping everything mostly straight, and putting up with our odd hours, and gatherings. I was pretty happy with everything else but the lack of trailer parking

SVOeric
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe we could come up with another location, I like Ky in all but how about some where in the center of the U.S. Hey Gator G, maybe you could help us out with this.

The only way we could get more centrally located would be if we go farther west, say Kansas...

Chris Hadden
10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
True, I was just throwing out idea's

Ken Potter
10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Did somebody say Kansas?

http://www.hpt.com//store/catalog/video/2_laps_hpt_07.wmv

Looks like fun to me...

Probably dang expensive though.

High Roller
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
1. Make it as great as 1999
2. Make it as great as 2000
3. Make it as great as 2001
4. Make it as great as 2002
5. Make it as great as 2003
6. Make it as great as 2004
7. Make it as great as 2005
8. Make it as great as 2006
9. Make it as great as 2007

Since I didn't have an SVO in 1998, I can't attest to that reunion, but all the rest have been fantastic. These things just keep getting better every year.

Chris Hadden
10-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Any one in VA. Virginia international Raceway would be fun.

TheViking
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Virginia international Raceway

Yes, except like most tracks they are always booked.

SVOeric
10-09-2007, 02:22 PM
that's a cool video, the dude is pretty smooth with the wheel, but jerky with the gas pedal. he seemed to smooth out on the last part of the track.

drquest
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I'd be up for any 4-6 hour location with a track. This one posted up a few days ago looks sweet :)

http://www.autobahncountryclub.net

Gee it will be the 10th anniversary Reunion right? :)

NavySVO
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Virginia international Raceway would be fun.

Heck yes......I could be there in 3 hours!!

But, that wouldn't draw the same crowd. Too far East.

Meotchh
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
KS is defintely more centrally located. I'm planning on trailering the 86 next year & I would love to be able to shave off 1200 miles RT of the 4200 miles it would take to get to KY & back. KY just makes it too difficult for those of us on the west coast to bring our cars.

NavySVO
10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
that's a cool video, the dude is pretty smooth with the wheel, but jerky with the gas pedal. he seemed to smooth out on the last part of the track.
Actually, a little "light footed" in the right pedal......

svobud
10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Maybe we could come up with another location, I like Ky in all but how about some where in the center of the U.S. H

Kentucky is centrally located. ;)

Seriously - it's VERY difficult to organize the logistics of the Reunion (or any car show event) without actually LIVING in or near that planned location. Having someone outside the BOD do this would be risky to say the least.

So - take your pick. Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, or the Armpit of the North America, aka: Cleveland, OH. Those are your choices. :D

Chris Hadden
10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, we hav'nt been to Cleveland yet. Maybe we could stop by and see Drew Carey while we are there! OHIO O O O O o o o o

Meotchh
10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Kentucky is centrally located. ;)

Seriously - it's VERY difficult to organize the logistics of the Reunion (or any car show event) without actually LIVING in or near that planned location. Having someone outside the BOD do this would be risky to say the least.

So - take your pick. Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, or the Armpit of the North America, aka: Cleveland, OH. Those are your choices. :D

Well if it were in GA I could cut my costs by just crashing at my parents house, or with a friend, or with one of my brothers.

How about next year have it in CA:p:

svobud
10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
How about next year have it in CA:p:

Funny, but I didnt see it on the list. Think we're gonna have to start including an IQ test with membership applications? :eek:

ryans89notch
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Suggestions

I suggest I come! Sorry to have missed it! Looked and sounded like alot of fun. I got to do some wrenching on mine this weekend but we chilled around the house mainly. Next year for sure!!!

Henson
10-09-2007, 08:55 PM
O-H-I-O !

Columbus? Mid-Ohio!
Pricey though
Maybe be able to tag onto Shelby Club or Cobra Club.

Seriously, Beaver Run is pretty cheap and not busy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbt_J5mX4g

Nelson Ledges! Let’s go where it all started. Cheap also.
http://www.nelsonledges.com/default.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HXVuVqN7m0
For you knee draggers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZkjyvuwWYA

Popular Mustang Dyno shop near Nelson. 24miles apart.
http://www.bigshotdyno.com/contactus.html

IRP is good too.

8T6 SVO
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Did somebody say Kansas?

http://www.hpt.com//store/catalog/video/2_laps_hpt_07.wmv

Looks like fun to me...

Probably dang expensive though.

Great video!

I've got one question for Y'all - did anyone see anyone turn on their left or right blinker during the 2007 reunion autox?

Sorry I missed it!

NavySVO
10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
did anyone see anyone turn on their left or right blinker during the 2007 reunion autox?

Strangly enough I did.......don't remember who though

Raven855
10-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Come to Tulsa! The Shelby meet is here, we have Hallet real close, Tulsa International raaceway is here and they are putting in a Hallaet type track next to the receway. Several places to dyno also.......

1fastII
10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
One of the things I love about going to KY was the drive through the mountains on the way out there. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, though.

85ttops
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
i have to vote Alabama, its a real nice striaght shot for us south westerners , i'd be willing to drive the svo there , the way it is now . it wouldnt be in any races but it would be there all the same , if i get all i want done by next year it just may be there with me ,

as soon as you "BOD" come to a definate decision , on the date / location , please let me know so i can put in for the time off and purchase a plane ticket if the svo isnt done

TheViking
10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Seriously, Beaver Run is pretty cheap and not busy.

Beaver Run also has an area setup for Auto-X. Not really in reunion territory but perhaps a mini-meet.

NinjaBOY
10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
One of the things I love about going to KY was the drive through the mountains on the way out there. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, though.

Yeah, we came down from PA, and I couldn't get over how nice the drive was, and that included a nice long stretch of new pavement. Last time I did KY, I was driving at night and didn't see much other than the pavement directly in front of me.

I wouldn't mind trying a new location like OH though. It'd be a new experience with lots of new faces I'm sure.

madadder
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
...................................if you do Ohio, I cant use distance as an excuse. Sounds like everyone had a good time.

Jesse
10-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Racing on Mid-Ohio would be incredible, with the added bonus of being less than 30 miles away.:) Would probably be really expensive though. Couldn't use the old "no time" or "too far" excuse then could I? I'm pretty sure there is a dyno facility in the area, either Lexington or Mansfield, but could all you old folk do without a Hooters? (laughing)

svobud
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Y'all can keep dreaming about us renting an open track if you want, but it wont be happening in the near (next couple of years) future. Too expensive and it takes a BUNCH of logistics to get it done. *snip* all the stuff I just typed about all the years we (the SVOs) spent on lil taladega and none of you suggesting this propsal were even there. BTW - obviously, you missed post #19 for your location choices.

If you want a Reunion held in your backyard - I suggest you move closer to one of the current BODs. ;)

Laredo
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I know the logistics would not be possible but wouldn't this be cool....

....how about top-speed radar runs at the Salt Lake flats :woot:

svobud
10-09-2007, 11:17 PM
....how about top-speed radar runs at the Salt Lake flats :woot:

:doh:

is it located in B'ham Alabama, Atlanta Georgia, Richmond Kentucky or Cleveland Ohio?

Jesse
10-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Cleveland isn't too far from Mid Ohio. :( Now to just overcome the whole extreme cost of renting the track.....anybody have a rich uncle out there somewhere who would donate to the cause? :)

85ttops
10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
alabama please

Laredo
10-09-2007, 11:29 PM

is it located in B'ham Alabama, Atlanta Georgia, Richmond Kentucky or Cleveland Ohio?

Hey Bud, It was a humorous "fun" suggestion, not serious. That's why I started it with "I know the logistics would not be possible...."

TheViking
10-09-2007, 11:29 PM
How about getting one of the original design team to a reunion? Probably cheaper then renting a track.

chalkys_explorer
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Australia!!!!!!:):):)

In all seriousness, instead of name tags, why not make a laminate?? They make good souveniers(??) and look really cool hanging from the rear view mirror after the event. They also stand out quite well and you instantly knw someone is involved with the event.

Suggest they have persons name, forum name and a picture of their car. That's beacuse I don't know everyones names but I know what their cars look like.

Also on the back you can print useful phone numbers, little maps or some other useful information.

Just a thought. I have an old template from my touring days and could knock a sample together if anyone is interested.

Chalky

Henson
10-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Yep, That's why I was angling toward Nelson. But that maybe too far as well. Probably the correct price though and great dyno and hotels are close too. Let's not forget the football hall of fame. I'm sure there's other stuff. There's Amish crap everywhere for the Gals.

If in Ohio I'd offer my services however I can, Cleveland or not.

done.

How about getting one of the original design team to a reunion? Probably cheaper then renting a track.

Awhile back I met with Michael Kranefuss. I gave this board the contact info to get a hold of him for a reunion. Whatever happened with this? I think he would classify as a "designer".

Gator
10-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Just chiming in here on the whole "lets have it here jazz."

1) Kin-Turkey is central to the majority of Members of the club. Yes, we do have alot of people who travel a long way to the event. But history dictates that the majority of people that attend (with cars) are within an 8 hour drive.

2) The local chapter (central KY) of the SCCA is by far the coolest group of guys i have ever had the pleasure of running with. We have quite a history now with those guys and both the SVOCA and they enjoy the auto-x event we have. I wouldnt even consider approaching alot of the SCCA guys around here with what we propose to the Central KY guys.

3) S&R Racing is in the same boat as above. ( although the dyno guys around here are cool.)

4) We have excellent resources locally (namely Eric and Rob ) to plan the event ahead of time which is not an easy feat by any means. Sure, we can make changes for next year's event in regards to hotel and print-outs and what-not.

Now you guys want to run Mid-Ohio, Nelson's or Beaver, hit me up and i will most certainly see whats on the planner for that day. But as for a late Sept-October reunion at any of the above....have fun, cause the hotels in the areas pretty much suck and its is "usually" crappy weather up here around this time.

Not to mention that we already had some concerns about the price of the auto-x....i cannot even imagine what it would cost for a weekend event at Mid-Ohio. HA !! That would be a $500 per car day (assuming that we even had 20 cars) and thats IF they let us do it on a weekend.

Now all ya gotta do is worry about the show site (and all the jazz that comes along with that) and a central place (hotel wise) for 50-60 people with decent dinning, attractions and shopping nearby.

Seriously guys and gals, give the BOD some credit here...we HAVE thought about these options before, it wasnt a long time ago, in a galaxy not so far away.

Sorry about the rant...but like I said, its pretty much beating a dead horse.

Like I said, you guys and gals wanna get together outside of the Reunion, by all means Holla...i'll do my best to be there as im sure many others will do the same. Carlisle is a great example of this.

Now...anyone want to discuss the simpler things like name-tags and a schedule of events ?

Pat_in_L.A.
10-10-2007, 02:12 AM
I have to agree wholeheartedly that the Reunion needs to be held in a venue near a BOD member. Work on setting up the Hotel, Dyno, and show location demands personal contact and follow up. Eric has Rob to help with the dyno day part of things (THANK YOU ROB!). Lexington was a great area to show up early and go on some historical tours and do some shopping.

Forget the notion of getting a west coast BOD member, because that wouldn't move the Reunion one inch farther west. We'll just settle for our west coast version at Knott's every year (And ALL are welcome to come visit).

As for me, the Reunion is my big vacation for the year, and I prefer to spend it somewhere other than at home. As long as I can show up early enough to help out a few locals and scrounge a car to thrash around, I'm happy (Thanks Rob and GAboy).

When you try to piggy back with another club on a race track rental, you are vulnerable to their whim unless you have a written contract. As soon as things so formal as a contract are suggested, the back pedalling is soon to follow. If the west coast guys want to put on a track day I can check in to what dates COCOA gets Willow Springs (twice a year).

This club puts on each year's Reunion with the help of the club's sponsors and the $30 that each PAID MEMBER has contributed. If you were at this year's Reunion, you should do a little math on the costs and wonder how the hell they pull it off each year.

svobud
10-10-2007, 07:49 AM
This club puts on each year's Reunion with the help of the club's sponsors and the $30 that each PAID MEMBER has contributed. If you were at this year's Reunion, you should do a little math on the costs and wonder how the hell they pull it off each year.

We scrounge. This year, Gator was changing his tires in the parking lot (putting on his race tires so he could 'heat cycle' them). He left his wallet laying on the curb. Over the years, I've picked up a few things from the many criminal minds I've been introduced to (Buddah, Duck, Fleming) and they said - "get his wallet". I'm sure Lyle will be wondering how on earth his credit card got max'ed out in Kentucky.

BlackSVO
10-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Any one in VA. Virginia international Raceway would be fun.

YES,

Let's do VIR.

Actually...Kentucky would be fine for me....I will definitely make it there next year.

NavySVO
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
and a central place (hotel wise) for 50-60 people with decent dinning, attractions and shopping nearby.
With good parking, as there are AT LEAST half a dozen trailered in cars, so that is 3 spots x 6.

Gator
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sure Lyle will be wondering how on earth his credit card got max'ed out in Kentucky.

Naw....I, he, we shop at Hustler Hollywood all the time. It would have just looked a bit odd handing out ( insert adult marital-aid device here ) as a door prize. :eek:

insert adult marital-aid device here - hehehhee...no pun intended.

SVOeric
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah - the corporate discount on beer at Liquor Barn sure does help!!
actually, I tried, -- there is some stupid law in KY against giving discounts on mass quantities of liquor... can you believe that!

Alex L
10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah - the corporate discount on beer at Liquor Barn sure does help!!

there's a corp discount? crap, wish i would have known that friday night.:doh: