PDA

View Full Version : Shock adjustment

cobra0478
02-01-2003, 08:07 PM
OK,guys
I tryed the search,expected to find my answer there but nothing,
my car is almost ready for the alignment rack,and before it goes I would like to have my shocks adjusted correctly,could anyone here explain to me how to adjust them.
Thanks
Don

SVOeric
02-01-2003, 08:26 PM
it's pretty simple..

Fronts:
take your adjuster knob, and adjust the struts to full firm on both sides, then set them how you want them, by turning them both the same number of turns towards soft.

Rears are a bit more of a pain---

You have to remove them from the bottom mount, compress them, and while they are compressed, turn them (I believe the direction is stamped on the shock) --

The process for the rears is the same as the fronts, set them full firm, then count the number of turns you want to soften them.

Someone back me up on this, as it has been a while since I have read the koni booklet.. :)

cobra0478
02-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Am I correct in asuming that clockwise to a dead stop would be full firm?And also that anything between firm and soft,that felt good would be an ok setting?

SVOeric
02-01-2003, 09:00 PM
I can't rememeber.. i always look at the knob :)

cobra0478
02-01-2003, 09:22 PM
OK,
We will finish putting the car together tomorrow,and I will tinker with the adjustment some,if I run into trouble I will get back with you.
Man it sure feels good to finally be to the point that I can get this thing on the road,I had to get to sick to work before it happened,in fact I am not doing the work on the car myself, about all I can do at this point is supervise what my son does,at least it is getting done.
Talk to you tomorrow,maby even post a couple photos.
Thanks
Don

SVOeric
02-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Cool... I can't wait to see them!!

svocudd
02-02-2003, 09:15 PM
This is one thing I tried to verify myself. The koni manual if I recall states only two full turns for the front's to go from full soft to full firm but I have heard people mention they cranked then till they stopped also. Maybe Paul's knows for sure?

Cudd

NO 5 OH
02-03-2003, 05:02 AM
The front struts, if memory serves me correctly are 3 1/2 to 4 turns from fully soft to full stiff rotating the Koni adjuster knob in the clockwise direction. The rears I know for sure are 2 1/2 turns from full soft to full stiff. As Eric has noted it is a PITA to adjust the rear shocks... the easiest way to adjust them is to either:

A) take them completely off the car and put them in a vice, and adjust them
B) take the shock loose from the axle and use a jack to compress the shock, then turn it to whatever stiffness/softness you prefer.

SVOeric
02-03-2003, 07:48 AM
4 turns is also what I remember on the fronts

cobra0478
02-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Is it a solid stop at soft and firm?
Can I turn them to far either direction?
Don

svocudd
02-03-2003, 01:37 PM
The full soft on the fronts is definately a solid stop. Based on what the previous posters indicated I necer had mine of full firm. I never messed with the rears at all. Liked the setting on those just how they came.

Cudd

SVOeric
02-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by cobra0478
Is it a solid stop at soft and firm?
Can I turn them to far either direction?
Don

Yes on both counts -- :)