PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Please

turbosvo
06-03-2008, 01:36 PM
ok so my car used to run 9.4's in the 1/8th mile with just a 255 fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, ranger roller cam, boost turned up to about 18psi, and air filter on van meter.

but i blew a few piton rings then i did some work

i installed trw forged pistons, ported my head, got bigger valves, a237 cam, 75lb fuel injectors with a chip from (juscuz) bob log header and 3" elbow off of turbo, and my car runs good BUT I DONT HAVE MUCH POWER IN HIGHER RPMS LIKE I USED TO! But it does when it wants to:confused: so its wierd what could it be

i havent adjusted the cam yet, could that just be my problem?

Bouncer88
06-03-2008, 01:39 PM
The cam actually seems like that would be the problem, but I am just getting into this tuning stuff so don't take my word for it.

turbosvo
06-03-2008, 01:50 PM
thats what im thinking it is, because i had that old ranger cam retarded 4degrees and it ran great at high rpms! And the a237 is at zero right now, so ill try switching it tonight! Is there a degree that some one has had really good luck with on a a237 cam and the set up that i have?

84svoracer
06-03-2008, 06:35 PM
But it does when it wants to:confused:

If it is only doing it sometimes then I don't think it could be the cam because it would do it at all times and not spontaneously (unless of course you have a vtec honda :doh: ) or am I reading what you wrote incorrectly?

turbosvo
06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah it feels better sometimes!

84svoracer
06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Then its most likely fuel or ignition related. I would check all of the obvious things first like boost leaks, make sure the timing is advancing with rpm (I think this is with the spout unplugged? it should move roughly 20*) , tps, and fuel pressure. Is the car running smoothly when it doesn't have as much power or act funny at all?

boostedbruiser
06-04-2008, 01:50 AM
EXPLAIN...."it does wat it wants to" Symptoms....??????

Your car should run like a monster compared to what you had before. Try a can of torco and see if that helps the car run better.........

Did you get the boost creep issue fixed? s the knock sensor still hooked up, i can't remember what you said about your sensor.

You might want to try hooking up a second boost guage infront of the IC and compare intake bost pressures to the pressure before the IC. that IC you have could be a restriction. Its awefully narrow.

More info needed.......

boostedbruiser
06-04-2008, 01:51 AM
oh and for the record i made the best power with the A237 cam striaght up

turbosvo
06-04-2008, 02:01 AM
EXPLAIN...."it does wat it wants to" Symptoms....??????

Your car should run like a monster compared to what you had before. Try a can of torco and see if that helps the car run better.........

Did you get the boost creep issue fixed? s the knock sensor still hooked up, i can't remember what you said about your sensor.

You might want to try hooking up a second boost guage infront of the IC and compare intake bost pressures to the pressure before the IC. that IC you have could be a restriction. Its awefully narrow.

More info needed.......

The boost creep issue was taken care of by installing my stock turbo back on, of didnt work with the hybrid even after it was ported:mad:

The boost builds good! But if I'm in first gear and step on it it pulls hard untill about 4k then it takes a while getting past that, but once I shift to 2nd once again it pulls hard till about 4k!

I'm going to retard the cam 4degrees and see how that feels tommorow before I take it to the dyno.

SVOeric
06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
it's not the cam.. that 237 should run like cheap paint in the higher rpm's compared to the ranger cam, even retarded a ton.

these guys are right, the issues you are explaining are either fuel or ignition related. are you still running a knock sensor?

trainford308
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Turbosvo,
Your original combination ran great. Changing the porting, big valves, header, elbow, and cam change, makes a completely different engine. Obviously, you need more fuel, but how much more? You are just guessing with the bigger (I assume bigger) injectors and chip. I would suggest a Dyno session to find out the right fuel and spark combination. Tom

turbosvo
06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm going to get it dynoed today!
I retarded the cam 4 degrees and it felt better,but not the best! no knock sensor connected!

boostedbruiser
06-04-2008, 09:06 PM
that cam does not need to be retarded that much. i'm betting lack of octane.....

hopefully the dyno will tell you something.

turbosvo
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I wasn't able to dyno it because I had no exhaust all I had was just the bob elbow, and he said that my air/fuel wouldnt be accurate. but I got the exhaust done so I'll dyno it next week!

boostedbruiser
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
you drove it around without a Down pipe? jeezzz i bet that was loud.......

Get everything tidy'ed up and then go to the dyno. stop half @ssen it.

Alex L
06-05-2008, 02:06 AM
when i was at the track last time, initially it would fall on its face @ 4k, like hitting a wall. watched the WB02 on the next run in 3rd and it was pulling 12.5:1 from 3-4k, and then *BAM* 10:1 or less once the turbo got fully spooled up. dropping the fuel pressure regulaor down 2 turns caused it to settle down @ 12.7:1 after 4k and start to edge towards 13:1 after 6k, and removed the power loss. get your DP on and get a WB02 on it (either dyno or in dash), bet you're running really fat. (either from an intake restriction in your IC like BB mentioned, or the tune is just not correct for the combo)

boostedbruiser
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Get a meth injection kit and run the turbo on high boost all the time :D

Wish i was home bud to give you a hand. I know if i was there i could get this straightened out for ya. quick and fast and in a hurry.

turbosvo
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I'll try turning the fuel down alittle, Im pretty sure that its fuel now that I adjusted the cam! But I guess we'll see once I get it dynoed.

Hopefully I'll have it running perfect when you come back kevin, I think I'll probably end up running a 50 shot of nitrious once I get everything running right, untill I can afford a Methanol kit (since I'm try to find a house:) )

turbosvo
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
ok so I turned the fuel down to 40psi with the hose disconnected and I runs a WHOLE lot better, it feels great threw all of the rpms! Thanks alot guys!:)

I'll keep yall posted on the dyno runs also!

Alex L
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
ok so I turned the fuel down to 40psi with the hose disconnected and I runs a WHOLE lot better, it feels great threw all of the rpms! Thanks alot guys!:)

I'll keep yall posted on the dyno runs also!

good to hear! it seems that tuning the eeks' after 3k is like smashing rocks together if you dont have a j3 and a wideband. just don't get too aggressive on pulling fuel; ive found its a very fine line from pulling 12.5:1 above 4k and leaning out hard and knocking.

turbosvo
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to get me a wideband! Thanks again

Alex L
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to get me a wideband! Thanks again

the innovative LC1 seems to be the status quo. im running an AEM as i like the display. (and it fits really well into an unused dash vent :D ) usually runs ~$250. i know the AEM can provide a narrow band emulation to drive the eec o2 input, and i _think_ the lc1 can as well. both use pre-calibrated wb02 sensors, which do not require nitrogen calibration after purchase. http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/product_info.php?products_id=132

turbosvo
06-05-2008, 07:06 PM
how do you wire up a wideband?

Is it just screwing in the oxygen sensor an get power to the gauge?
:confused:

Alex L
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
how do you wire up a wideband?

Is it just screwing in the oxygen sensor an get power to the gauge?
:confused:

the aem was a snap. removed old 02 sensosr and removed its side of the 02 sensor connection. connected in ground, power and narrowband signal from the AEM harness into it. switched AEM to run in narrowband emulation mode. installed wideband o2 sensor into downpipe. plugged back into harness. started car and it fired right up.

boostedbruiser
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a zeitronix, i love it, nice display, small and accurate. i told you a while back a WB would be a great TOOL to have. glad to hear its running better

turbosvo
06-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I have a zeitronix, i love it, nice display, small and accurate. i told you a while back a WB would be a great TOOL to have. glad to hear its running better

Yeah I like your wideband guage!