PDA

View Full Version : hot battery cables and won't start

turbosvo
08-14-2008, 12:43 AM
my car started acting up alittle, it won't start sometimes! I turn the key over and the cars starter will want to start over and clicks a few times! Im sure the battery is good and I just switched out the starting silinoed and noticed that the battery cables get hot the I'll pop the clutch to start and it starts right up:confused: any suggestions before I pull the starter off?

Oh and the batt. Light in the car stays on while I'm driving now to!

BrianO
08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
hot cables are no bueno! the light on the dash is from the regulator, might have it checked/replaced could be that or the alternator.

If you can roll start it with the clutch then the starter is gone or a connection to it is bad. the clicking sound is the gear popping out to hit the flywheel.. it may just be dead.

Rob.
08-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Do a voltage drop test at all points from your battery to your starter. That will tell if you have a bad connection(s) or a bad component(s), and where. All points includes grounds too don't forget.

turbosvo
08-14-2008, 07:31 AM
hot cables are no bueno! the light on the dash is from the regulator, might have it checked/replaced could be that or the alternator.

If you can roll start it with the clutch then the starter is gone or a connection to it is bad. the clicking sound is the gear popping out to hit the flywheel.. it may just be dead.

I'll check the wires to the starter because I just started moving some wires around and the car started once

I don't know how to do a voltage test:confused:

NavySVO
08-14-2008, 08:11 AM
I just started moving some wires around and the car started once
What wires did you move around? Please be more specific. If you don't know the nomenclature of them, take a pic and post it for us.

turbosvo
08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=turbosvo;180863]I just started moving some wires around and the car started onceQUOTE]
What wires did you move around? Please be more specific. If you don't know the nomenclature of them, take a pic and post it for us.

The wires going to the starting seloniod and the battery cables and a ground that is bolted to the upper intake! Also I would tap the starting seloniod

NavySVO
08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Ther ground should not go to the intake, it should go to the block, lower front driver's corner, right above the oil pan

turbosvo
08-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Ther ground should not go to the intake, it should go to the block, lower front driver's corner, right above the oil pan

I'll try switching it to see what happens

BrianO
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
most times I've seen intermittent starting and clicking..it normally turns out to be a bad ground.

SVOeric
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
see if this pic helps, the stud circled here is where the ground should go.

turbosvo
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
i tried starting it this morning and didnt have enough room to pop the clutch so ill try it tonigh. thanks for the pic, im really hoping thats all it is

fastmonkeywheels
08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
My money is on the starter cable shorting to ground. It'll pull enough current to heat the cables up, the solenoid will still click and a clutch-pop should still start it. He also said that he moved some wires around and he could start it, maybe he lifted the shorting starter cable.

Rob.
08-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Positive side:
The red meter lead is connected to the highest point of potential voltage. In your case that would be the positive battery terminal. The black meter lead is connected to were the voltage is trying to get to, your starter's positive terminal. Now crank your engine and see what it reads. Anything over .3V is a problem.

Ground side:
Connect the red lead to the starter motor case, and connect to the negative battery terminal. Crank engine. Anything over .4V indicates a problem.

Just remember voltage goes from highest to lowest.
Power source--->Load device
You can check all kinds of stuff this way.
Notables with allowances include:
Starter solenoid .2V
Battery Terminals .2V
Alternator charging @ approx 100amps Positive side .7V / Ground side .4V
Accessory circuits (brakes,headlights,tailights) Positive side .2V / Ground .2V
Ignitition modules, fuel injection sensors, computer stuff Positive side .1V Ground side .06V (very sensitive)

Your red lead always goes on the power source and the black lead is always on the load device. Simple.
All tests are done while the circuits are active and under load.