PDA

View Full Version : Homeward Bound

svono50
10-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, in my case it is just 'home'. I pulled into the 'ol driveway @ 2:55pm CST after an uneventful 440 mile trip home. Averaged 65.5 mph (obviously slow by Chalky's standards) and pulled down 24.9 mpg on the one tankful that I tracked where I was averaging 69.7 mph. Can you tell I keep a log of my trips?!?

I had a great time seeing familiar faces and meeting some new ones too. I hope everyone has a safe trip home, whether your trip is 20 or 2400 miles. I will follow up with pics later as I need to devote my attention to some 'other' matters. :cheers:

Alex L
10-12-2008, 05:24 PM
pulled in around 4:00pm, got stuck in traffic 75 north. rest of time was pretty leadfooted in bursts, bet its somewhere around 12mpg, even light load, closed loop was spotty at best.

SVORob
10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Well Drag pack was not so lucky he broke down just South of Cincy. Luckly after a few dozen phone calls. AlexL is running out to him with a dizzy. He replaced the TFI anf still no spark. Hope he is back on the road soon. I just spoke to AlexL and he is pulling up to save the day!

The SVOCA brother hood in action! nuff said

SVORob
10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Just heard from AlexL it was the PIP got spark! Drag pack is setting the timing now will be on the road in 5.

svofloyd
10-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Alex deserves a medal.

indiana dave
10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Way to go Alex!
Lord knows Rick's helped a lot of us out. Good to here some favors paid back.
Post up when you make it home Rick!

johnbasler
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
The STL crew got home at 1:30 this afternoon. I had to pound 6 beers tonight just to prevent the DTs.

Alex L
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
just made it back to the house. dragpack was on the road fairly quickly once the timing was set. had a minor charging issue, but we pounded pavement all the way up to florence, then traffic STOPPED. wreck 75 north at 12th street in covington. it was my exit so i waved em off the highway, we stopped at a gas station, geeked about j3 adapter for a few minutes after dragpack cleaned up, and sent em on their merry way. they should be home in about 2-2.5hr from now.

Alex L
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
update. just got a call from dragpack. he's down again. 12 miles up indiana st route 1. he's pulling the dizzy and swapping TFIs just to make sure, and will call me back. so im on deck to head out again.

Alex L
10-12-2008, 10:04 PM
dizzy pulled, aux gear bit it. previous dizzy had a few teeth missing, didn't even notice it in the dark. DAVEZ84SVO was contacted and is diverting to recover, and transport dragpack home.

rschonegg
10-12-2008, 11:05 PM
we got back on the road and broke BIG time while taking Indiana HWY 1 to I-74, DaveZ84SVO is on his way to tow. Rick and I are stealing someone's wireless internet to post this, I have about 20% battery life left on the laptop, and the wolves have howled twice already, I think they are triangulating our position. the bull frog started a few minutes ago and dueling banjos probably isn't far off.... picture two RED 86 SVO's in someones gravel driveway, Rick and I are lawnchaired in front of my car out by the end of the driveway waiting........... 11:00pm

we are having a mini-meet, if anyone wants to come....... I can give LAT-LONG for anyone that has a GPS to find us.......

drquest
10-12-2008, 11:15 PM
we got back on the road and broke BIG time while taking Indiana HWY 1 to I-74, DaveZ84SVO is on his way to tow. Rick and I are stealing someone's wireless internet to post this, I have about 20% battery life left on the laptop, and the wolves have howled twice already, I think they are triangulating our position. the bull frog started a few minutes ago and dueling banjos probably isn't far off.... picture two RED 86 SVO's in someones gravel driveway, Rick and I are lawnchaired in front of my car out by the end of the driveway waiting........... 11:00pm

we are having a mini-meet, if anyone wants to come....... I can give LAT-LONG for anyone that has a GPS to find us.......

Yikes! Any idea what broke?

Laredo
10-13-2008, 12:45 AM
The Lowe's rubber pipe coupler used as a band aid from the turbo to the intercooler only lasted so long for tbrody and blew out coming out of the rest stop in Columbus IN, Auto Zone was near by and had 1 and only 1, 2 in. radiator hose to fill in. It was promptly replaced and we were back on the road after cooling Laredo's passenger side front brake seems the right caliper may now be going bad.

chalkys_explorer
10-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Ya'll ain't fillin me with confidence here!!!!!

SchoolBoy
10-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Just pat the car on the hood, and ask blackie to please, please, please get me home.

lonewolf
10-13-2008, 02:16 AM

I made it home with no troubles about half an hour ago.

1low86svo
10-13-2008, 04:36 AM
man guys sorry for all the bad luck/hope you all make it home with no more problems.i fill your pain.

rschonegg
10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
DaveZ84SVO, Dragpak, and I, rescued Rick's car at about 1:45am and got on our way, I made it home with my SVO in the Garage. I know why SVOCA people are the best. THANK YOU AlexL, Roberto, Marco, and all those on the phone trying to figure out who has what part to get to Dave at the roadside.... we were visited by the Local County Mountie at the front of the homeowners driveway, and I said to him " I bet you want to hear the story". I started with "We are in a car club" while pointing at my BRAND NEW SVO Club of America sticker on the back of my car. He left without cuffing and stuffing DragPak nor I, so our night WAS getting better.....

indiana dave
10-13-2008, 08:51 AM
We made it home fine. Kids were worn out and slept most of the way. Nice and quiet drive. no drama...
OK... we were in the family truckster, but still...
glad you guys finally got home OK.
Do you both work today? Sorry for you if so.

Alex L
10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
indiana dave : i would hope they called in dead.

glad to hear you all got back home safely.

SVOPaul
10-13-2008, 10:50 AM
No issues on my end....and no discussions with state law enforcement like I did on the way up. :thumb:

rschonegg
10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
DragPak's roadside pics:

rschonegg
10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
DragPak's 2nd set of Roadside pics: notice how dark the last 3 pics are.... indiana HWY 1 from 11:00pm to 1:45am...wolves howling...cop shows up..owner of gravel driveway wants us to push Rick's car further down his driveway and into the grass.... I wonder if he wanted us to get it stuck... :eek2:

notice Alex's evil grin

svobud
10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
The Georgia crew (myself & GAboy) made in back ... no drama. Avg'ed something like 25-26mpg.

JayG had some 'oil' issues ... and killed any remaining bugs along I-75 from KY to TN .. but made it home without having to walk. A small price to pay for a hard to get Fast Four trophy.

SVOty? Dunno if he made it all the way, we split up just outside Chattanooga.

onthegosvo
10-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Tried to catch up with the Georgia crew, JayG and Ty.
They must have been hauling a_ _.:D

I made it home safe and sound.
Left hotel @ 10:15 arrived home @ 4:05.

I had a great time once again and looking forward to next years reunion.:cheers:

Bruce
10-13-2008, 09:28 PM
After Davez84SVO delivered Dragpack home he got a short nap and I arrived in Indy and we loaded my car and made a uneventfull ride back to WI. Sorry to hear the problems with the Indy crew. Thanks to Dave for the smooth trip with his Navigator and trailer. GREAT REUNION even if I couldn't stop the South from Winning! PS great drive Pat!

svobud
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Steve - you probably passed us and didnt know it. We left at 10am, but stopped the next town south to meet up with Ty (and saw one of Gator's gutter women) - then we ended up stopping within another 10 miles so JayG could fix an oil leak - that had us 30-45 min behind my figured travel time.

DRAGPAK
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Well guys made it home at 5.30 in the morning .I would like the thank rob alex marco richard roberto and davez84svo for all the help .When the car broke the second time i tore the distrubor out of it along with the intermediate shaft,nothing else to do on the side of the road .Time to do some cleaning of the motor .Looks like esslinger will get a call this week for some parts.Theres nothing like a 3 hour road trip turning into 11 trip !!!! slept from 6.00 this morning to 8.30 today. Hope to have it running this weekend if i get the shaft ... :woot:

Nota50
10-14-2008, 02:04 AM

I made it in one piece Aussie!! Just smoked a little ;-) But No poppin like Sat morn LOL

Meotchh
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Well Pat & I had a couple nice flights.
From Memphis to LAX Pat was sitting beside a hot young thing from Little Rock (I know that is hard to believe) & managed to get at least one pic. I think we need more training from Fred on the perv shots.

Hopefully Pat & family are safe from the fires burning near by.

SVOeric
10-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I made it in one piece Aussie!! Just smoked a little ;-) But No poppin like Sat morn LOL
haha -- that thing scared the crap out of me Sat morning...

Nota50
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
haha -- that thing scared the crap out of me Sat morning...

"That's an attention Getter" Sheriff Buford T Justice Of Texas

LOL!!

SVOJames
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I made it home with just a few minor issues, including stopping twice to look for a noise I had noticed Wednesday. I still don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's not Dr. Pepper cans knocking together.

Do laundry and loading the truck to leave tomorrow for Houston.

James

DAVEZ84SVO
10-14-2008, 08:31 PM
The last few days have been very long.. After going to get the trailer & getting Rick's car back to a safe & sound place, I took a few hours nap until I meet up with Bruce.. Loaded up his SVO & off to WI!! My trip home takes 17 hours total.. Went to bed about 8pm last night..

Rick, glad I could help you out after all those times you helped me..

P.S. Do you still have my lens with you??

Dave

DRAGPAK
10-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes your outer passanger light is still in the rear hatch of the svo along with your flash light.

DAVEZ84SVO
10-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes your outer passanger light is still in the rear hatch of the svo along with your flash light.

Looks like I have some motivation to return to Indy!! Hooters anyone??

Did you get that SVO running yet??

Dave

DRAGPAK
10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Ordered some parts from esslinger waiting on the brown truck.

indiana dave
10-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm "up" for it... I might go up to the Suds cruie-in Saturday night.
Drove my SVO around at lunch today. No leaks, or problems other than some stuttering under even a little boost. I don't think I can tune much more on it until I install a new TFI harness. It's pretty trashed, and I can't tell if it's causing problems or not.

svono50
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Sheesh, I leave the Reunion a day early and all heck breaks loose!! :bawl:

Looks like I should go back to my normal pattern of leaving on Monday mornings again to bring the 'chi' of the event back in line, eh? :ears

Glad to hear everyone eventually got home ok. Hopefully Rick's engine didn't suffer too much carnage, good luck with your 'new' project.

Pat_in_L.A.
10-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Do you leave baseball games during the seventh inning stretch, too?

svono50
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Do you leave baseball games during the seventh inning stretch, too?

Nope, heading home a day early was a 5th anny present to my wife who tolerates my automotive obsession. :o

DRAGPAK
10-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Well guys have it running tonight ive done 2 oil changes in less then 20 minutes ,seems to be running ok so far ill drive it to work and see how that goes.I put a stock intermediate shaft in it with a new disturber,waiting on the good stuff :woot: