PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in Headlights

GAboySVO
03-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Has anyone figured out a good way to keep moisture/condensation out of the headlights? Or what is the most effective way of drying them out?

Any thougths are appreciated.

U S Marine
03-20-2003, 02:09 PM
I carefully spilt mine and re-sealed them with "Goop" clear sealer. It's in a kinda purple/red tube. After they dried. I drilled small ((4) 1/16, I think) holes in the bottom of the buckets. Then I replaced my bulbs with new ones to ensure they were water tight. The holes in the bottom allow them to exchange air so they don't condensate.

Tony

GAboySVO
04-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the hint on freshening up my headlights. Your suggestion worked great. After a little sanding, buffing with a cotton wheel on a bench grinder with tripoli buffing rouge, and polishing with Kit scratch remover, the lights look almost new!

I'll post some before and after pictures once I get them developed. You hint about splitting them open made the clean up a lot easier and effective.

Thanks for serving our country.

U S Marine
04-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Glad it worked out for you! I'd like to see those pics when you get the chance. That sealer sticks like death, so you'll never be able to split them again. As far as the thanks for serving..the pleasure is all mine!!

Tony

GAboySVO
04-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Tony,

I didn't use the Goop stuff because after I read the label, I figured it would be a one time deal. So I used a silicon based adhesive. I should be able to pop them apart if I need to in the future.

Thanks again.

GAboySVO
04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Tony,

Here are the before and after pics. I don't have a digital camera, so I hope you can see the difference in the Pics.

What I did:

1. Remove the lens from the bucket.
2. Cleaned the inner side of lense and bucket.
3. Used bench grinder with cotton buffing wheel and Tripoli rouge to polish inner lense side to remove water spots.
4. Used kit scratch remover and loose cotton buffing wheel to polish inner side of lense.
5. Used 800, then 1000, then 2000 grit wet sand paper to remove yellowing and 100K miles surface imperfections.
6. Used bench grinder with cotton buffing wheel and Tripoli rouge to polish outer lense side.
7. Used kit scratch remover and loose cotton buffing wheel to polish outer side of lense.
8. Reassembled.

Here are the pics....

GAboySVO
04-16-2003, 01:16 PM
More pics......

GAboySVO
04-16-2003, 01:18 PM
More pics.....

GAboySVO
04-16-2003, 01:22 PM
More pics....

U S Marine
04-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Definetly looks better! Take a good bit of work! That drivers one looks real good.

Tony

Glad I could help

GAboySVO
04-16-2003, 05:09 PM
I did the driver side first, so I had a great supply of elbow grease. Also, the driver side lights are about 10 yrs old as opposed to the passenger side which are original. The car is originally from S. FLA, so they have had a large dose of UV rays.

The passenger side head light also had what appears to be imperfections internal to the material almost as if the plastic was injectedinto the mold in waves.