PDA

View Full Version : New clutch, noise when slowing down in gear

Discord
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Time to pick some brains here, I couldn't find much of anything searching

Picked up a spec 2+ clutch awhile back, had it installed since the old one was slipping on anything over 1/2 throttle.

When I got it back from the shop, there is a noise now. Clutch has maybe 500 miles on it since installed like 2 years ago.

When starting up and beginning to drive, no noise present. After about a minute, there will be a noise present when slowing down in gear, between about 3200-2500ish rpm range. It's actually faily loud, and can be felt. The clutch itself grabs and holds just fine.

Under load, no noise. Clutch in, no noise. Clutch out in neutral, no noise. Engage clutch in gear in the RPM range, the noise is there. Happens in all gears, no matter the speed, it's all relavent to RPM range. Sounds a lot like gear rollover that I've had in my Focus since it was new (like a tractor).

I just can't find anything definitive as to what it could be. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

NavySVO
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
To me it sounds like a throwout bearing.

RTStabler51
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Did you have an aluminum driveshaft and aluminum flywheel? If so, it seems to be a roll of the dice issue. In reading posts on this board it doesn't seem to be an issue (from what I could tell). I have the same issue in the same RPM range, but for whatever reason seems to only happen in 2nd and 3rd gears.

GAboySVO
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Did the repair shop mark the drive shaft before removal and then reinstall in the same location? If not, take it back and have them rotate it 90* then test drive to confirm the fix.

Discord
09-09-2009, 05:06 PM
No alum driveshaft or flywheel to my knowledge.

I was rolling the thought around that the 90* driveshaft thing was a possibility, which I'll do when I get stateside again. It's worth a shot. Deep down I'm really hoping to rule out any internal tranny or clutch issues.

65 Snake
09-11-2009, 09:02 PM
You described exactly what has been going on with my SVO. I just installed a Spec 3+ and aluminum flywheel, also have aluminum driveshaft. Engaged so smoothly, alot of excess free pedal that I couldn't get rid of. Had MM send the firewall adjuster and their quadrant and still the same noise, however all the free pedal was now out. At first I thought I installed the throwout bearing wrong, but pulled the boot away and moving smoothly on the tranny shaft. Less than 300 miles on the combo; but the engagement is good and it doesn't slip at all now.

GAboySVO
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I talked to Bob Hanlon today about my tranny he has for some updating. It has the same sound that you describe in the same circumstances. I thought it was bearings or something not shimmed correctly. He mentioned that from what i described it was most likely clutch plate noise. I have a Spec clutch as well. Maybe you should call Spec and ask them what they think?