PDA

View Full Version : SVO wheels prone to warpage?

RKnorr
05-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Got some bouncing and rhythmic road noise going on. Just bought car 2 weeks ago and previous owner said wheels and maybe tires were not true. Tires I can understand buy why the wheels. The roads are pretty smooth around here. I guess the question is: How strong are the stock SVO wheels and are they prone to get misshapen? How would you check and what would be considered too much?

kiwi
05-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Jack it up/ Spin 'em around???? Dumb question to check & make sure they are bolted up square........I think it's mtl the tires....

RKnorr
05-17-2003, 11:38 PM
I realize it sounds pretty dumb asking about warped wheels but the previous owner led me to believe that all the wheels need to be replaced because they aren't true and I was wondering if this has been a weak point with SVOs. I will jack it up and spin them soon. I also suspect the majority of the problem is probably going to be tire-related. Bridgestone Potenza PE940s in the stock size, anybody have any experience with them?

svobud
05-17-2003, 11:54 PM
just about every wheel I've sent off to be reconditioned has had to be 'straighten" by the wheel guys .. so yes, I guess they're prone to warping a bit :)

That's from 3 full sets of wheels I've had redone ..

Nothing major ... just a slight bit.

Ken Potter
05-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Another possibilty is "flat spotted" tires. This can come from either a major brake lock-up / skidding or improper long term storage. I have experienced both and can make for a very bumpy ride. The improper storage flat spot can be reduced or fixed by taking a long ride on the highway provided the long term storage was months and not years. The flat spot from skidding can only be fixed by shaving some tread off. In my case I had purchased the road hazard warranty and Goodyear just replaced them.

Bruce
05-20-2003, 12:30 AM
I had " new " tires on my car when I got it that had not been moved for two years. I always had a shake till I wore them out this year. When I put on new tires the shake went away! So flat spotted tires will do it!

RKnorr
05-20-2003, 05:30 AM
My tires are also "new", sounds like the tires are probably it. My car was garaged and not moved very often for three years. I'm paying the price for that now, every time I get in the car a new rubber part needs replacement..yesterday it was a fuel quick disconnect that started to leak!

Jackal
05-20-2003, 12:41 PM
The last time I needed a repair on one, an "aluminum wheel welding guy" told me they were forged aluminum & tougher than any weld he could put on them. So, I would imagine the tires are the problem.