PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Differential Housing

gtpprog
08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I am looking to chance the rear end fluid and replace the seal. Does anyone know the Ford part # or equivalent for the rear end housing? Also what rear end fluid is recommended? regular or synthetic fluid? Thanks Tony

blueboss
08-01-2010, 10:25 PM
No need to get Ford parts unless you're down with paying more for the same stuff. Your local preferred auto parts slingers can get you what you need. As for fluids, I prefer synthetic for everything. But the regular stuff is good as well. Don't forget the friction modifier when changing the diff fluid. You probably won't need it depending upon which fluid you select but it won't hurt to add some.

svono50
08-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I ageee with Blueboss, no need for Ford stuff except the friction modifier fluid. The modified fluid smells like skunk juice, so don't bring it into the house or spill it on your clothes. If you are just changing the fluid and pulling the rear cover off, no gasket is required, just use some good 'ol RTV. Do a light bead of RTV on diff and throw the cover on, don't just gunk it on there and squeeze it into the diff. As for fluids I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and not had any issues for the past 47K miles/19 years I have been driving my 86. YMMV.