PDA

View Full Version : emergency brake hole "seal-up"

SVOeric
06-01-2003, 09:18 PM
I am about to make the trek to Paul's this weekend (about 5-6 hours) in the SVO --

I have had trouble with the emergency brake area being leaky (I can smell exhaust through it from time to time), and loud.

The little rubber strip that goes around the lever has been gone for a long long time -- I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution for sealing this thing up a little better...

kiwi
06-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Eric/ Could you make something out of a rubber mud flap or somethin' cut to fit? At least for now or permanent.....I haven't had the pleasure of fixin' that myself...

svo1fast4
06-01-2003, 10:39 PM
I used a hot melt glue gun and put glue on the tabs and a few other places it works ok . Better then what it was.

Rob

Pat_in_L.A.
06-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Eric, have you had the console out of the car at all? I have found the busted and missing parts laying down underneath on several cars. The glue gun should do the trick. If parts are missing, thin rubber sheet can be bought at Orchard or some other hardware house by the foot. Sometimes there is enough of the plastic stub left to melt it back to the inner retaining cover.

SVOeric
06-02-2003, 10:18 AM
the console is laying in my garage -- so nope -- the rubber isn't laying in there---

My plastic looks like someone has already tried to melt the plastic tabs, as they are melted all the way down flat :(

To be honest, I wasn't really worried about fixing the little rubber thing.

I was thinking somthing more like a boot that seals around the brake lever, with some type of metal ring around that screwed down on top of the carped then was covered by the console that would really cut down on noise, and stink ...

I'm sure there are cars out there that already use something like this, that we might be able to STEAL it from --

anyone have any ideas ?

DON86SVO
06-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Look at the parking brake boot on a Contour. It looks like a small shifter boot. Also. the insert that goes in the console of a '94-97 Mustang looks a lot like the one on an SVO.

8T6 SVO
06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Eric,

I don't know any way to improve the seal through the floor other than using some cork tape to seal up any holes, but I do know of a good fix for the console tray seal.

I had Matt Walker fix my console tray seal. He did a perfect job that will last for a long time to come. It seems that all Mustangs "lose" this seal no matter how old or new they are - it's inevitable.

8T6

SVOeric
06-02-2003, 01:00 PM
I had Matt Walker fix my console tray seal.

Spill the beans -- how did he do it ?

8T6 SVO
06-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I won't give up any of Matt's idea's - You'll have to ask him. But I will show you a picture of his handy work.

8T6 SVO
06-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Side view of tray

SVOeric
06-02-2003, 02:35 PM
not bad --- I'm still thinking a boot would be a better way to go --- I'm going to hit a yard in the nect couple of days, and see what I can run across...

8T6 SVO
06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Eric,

The area where the e. brake goes thru is not a real big area. The reason I suggested cork tape is because it will seal holes of this size and remain flexible. Cork tape is a product that HVAC Contractors use to seal penetrations at wall jacks for condeser (freon) lines. There are many other uses as well. Anyway, this tape has a bituthene compound mixed with what used to be cork to give it flexibility & strength. You can find this tape at any HVAC supply house or even Home Depot or Lowes has it. It comes in a roll, approximately 2" wide. Great thing is - you can put multiple strips on top of each other because the tape "molds" together. Great for tight areas and sealing your "thingie".

8T6

90lx86svo
06-02-2003, 06:19 PM
I cannot imagine the flap sealing a lot even when it was new. I would have to agree with the other guys and say the exhaust is coming from either the shifter hole or parking brake cable hole in the floor.

I fixed my rubber flap by making an aluminum peice that follows the contour of the console from the two screws on top down the slope with a slot cut in it for the handle. I then riveted the rubber flap the the AL peice and bolted it under the plastic trim. Make sense? Probably not. I will try to take some pictures.

Bud

SVOeric
06-02-2003, 06:47 PM
ahhhh -- so that is what cork tape is --- :D .. that would probably work :)

I know there is a small exhaust leak, and of course, it is right below the e-brake hole --- so that is where my exhaust leak is coming from --

8T6 SVO
06-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah - That darn leaky connection at the 3" Sacramento downpipe to y-pipe. What a pain! Hey! Maybe put some cork tape on it!

SVOeric
06-02-2003, 07:29 PM
naaa-- can't blame that one on the DP, I think it was the welders fault --- it was 3:00 am tho :D -- the day before the reunion...

90lx86svo
06-14-2003, 12:24 AM
Here is the picture I promised.