PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Chatter only when warmed up - Spec 2 to blame ?

jamman
12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
All,

I recently installed a new Spec Stage 2 clutch, TO bearing and pilot bearing .. the tranny was completely rebuilt about 4K miles ago.

The car shifts smoothly and runs fine in all gears and no noises occur until the car gets good and warmed up... then I start getting a chatter/knocking type sound only when the car is in neutral and the clutch disengaged .. again the car has to be nice a warmed up for this noise to start happening.

Once I press the clutch pedal in the noise goes away .. so I thought it must be the TO bearing so I yanked the tranny and replaced it yet again and that did NOT get rid of the idle chatter when warmed up ...

The more I looked on the internet, the more I see that others are complaining about Spec clutches making noises similar to mine, only at idle when disengaged, so I wondering if my noise is really pointing to the new Spec 2 clutch.

That or that possibly the TO bearing is making just enough contact with the clutch fingers, when disengaged, to make this noise ...

I do not remember the old clutch having this issue at all ..

Anyone else run into a noise like this or Spec clutch chatter ???

jamman
12-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Also wanted to point out my clutch engagement is very high, barely have to push the clutch pedal in ...

Wonder if that is placing the TO bearing slightly on the fingers when disengaged ..

I will try to loosen it up a little via the quadrant and see what happens ...

stottpie
12-07-2011, 03:35 PM
how many miles on that new clutch?

jamman
12-08-2011, 10:18 AM
about 1200 miles ..

at8tc
12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
did you check the clutch fork? make sure both tabs where on it and tight? also you may have to pull the clutch pedal up manually to adjust the "self adjusting clutch quadrant".

jamman
12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes both tabs were on it and the new TO slid in nice and seemed to be snug ... it was right up against the fingers though ..

I will re-adjust the quadrant this weekend and see what happens

I has a rolling type sound like a bearing or something rotating with chatter mixed in .. the best I can describe it ..

I can feel it in the stick when I hold onto it ...

jamman
12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Well I loosened the clutch cable a bit (using the quadrant) and the noise still continues after it gets warmed up (after driving about 20 mins)

When I removed the tranny to put in the new TO bearing, I took the shaft cover off to look at the front bearing and it looked nice and new ... I took the race out and it had two shims, I re-installed everything (the shims, race and cover) and I remember the shaft did have a little side to side play.

I am wondering if this is possibly a shim issue with my T-5's front bearing retainer and that maybe it is not pre-loading the bearing enough allowing it to get a bit loosened up after it's warm ?

Maybe I need to take it back to the tranny shop and let them listen to it ..

SVOeric
12-13-2011, 03:48 PM
it's a 10 minute job to set the free-play correctly (it's not set by side to side, it's set from tail-shaft to input shaft.

I doubt this would make the type of noise you are talking about, however, you might want to check the input shaft has the correct number of roller bearings inside it. or let the transmission shop do it