PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Intake

SVOMARK
05-09-2002, 08:31 AM
My 86 SVO was not running well at boost above 8 psi where it began to lose power and sputter. When I removed the stock intercooler I noticed a coating of oil in both ports of the IC. The throttle body also had some oil in it. I cleaned everything I could get to with a carb cleaner, but after cleaning and reinstalling the IC it runs like a three cylinder. It sputters and no power. Any clues?
Thanks,
Mark

svocudd
05-09-2002, 09:06 AM
First thing I would look at is your PCV valve? When was it last replaced?

If you unhook the hose between your VAM and the Turbo there is probaly oil in there as well. Very common issue on these engines. It is imperitive to have a good PCV Valve in the system and it MUST be a Motorcraft (EV-127) I beleive.

Check your plugs as well. Maybe they got fouled with all the oil.

Hope that helps.

Cudd

svobud
05-09-2002, 01:05 PM
I think cudd has pretty much covered it. Your engine may very well be running on only 3 cyls. Sounds like you haven't done any maintenence on your car in a while - so, besides the PCV - and checking the plugs ...I'd suggest you give your engine a once over with a serious tune up.

gbeaird
05-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Make sure you got everything buttoned up well. Sometimes those IC hoses are tough to get on and sealed.

I have owned two SVOs in my life, both ran well, but were high mileage cars. Both had a coating of oil in the IC. I also own a RX7 Turbo II. It also has a thin coating of oil in the IC passages. A thin coating is probably to be expected with these older cars. If you pull the intake hose off between the vane air meter (VAM) and the turbo inlet, you will probably have oil you can pour out of the folds in the hose.

Anyway, a thin coating can be expected. Pools of oil in the IC passages may be a bit too much, though. If it is a thin coating, don't get too worked up. A tune up may be what you need to get the car back running well.

Gene Beaird
86 2R SVO
Pearland, Texas

SVOMARK
05-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Thanks Cudd. I got a new PCV and will put it on. The plugs only have a few miles on them. But will ck to make sure they aren't fouled.

SVOMARK
05-13-2002, 08:56 AM
OL MUD DUCK HERE AGAIN.

Installed new PVC valve, yes EV-127 was correct, cleaned oil out of the VAM (it was pretty bad) and still have trouble with shutting off and cutting out at boosts above 8 psi.

New plug wires are next.

Tried a code reader, EGO is bad and knock sensor isn't working.

I am in a tight spot.

Any other ideas.

I am in a tight spot.

Gator
05-13-2002, 10:00 AM
So have ya tried the new wires and plugs yet..?

SVOMARK
05-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Wires are next. Put a set of plugs in about 1,000 miles ago. They may be fouled, I am planning on taking them out to ck.

Bonified,
Mark