PDA

View Full Version : Strut/Shock Replacements??

CarGuy
07-11-2003, 01:26 PM
I going on the bet that my passenger front strut/shock is gone. I wiped off quite a bit of grime from it earlier - and I'll be rechecking it soon. My question is I'm in the process of getting the car to be a nice driver for now - money is a concern and I didn't want to spend $150 on replacements. Can anyone suggestion a good quality replacement that is good on performance and easy on the wallet. I don't plan on them being used for the life of the car - but other projects have priority for now. I apologize for the spill - I just didn't want to get run down by the die-hard Koni guys ;) Also, is it possible to have my front Koni's rebuilt? Is that worth looking into?

Thanks for all the help :)

richsvo
07-11-2003, 07:02 PM
The Koni is the only "direct replacement" for the SVO, since it was that way from the factory. I believe there are a couple of other brands out there that will fit, but the performance is severely lacking when compared to the Koni. Check with your local Midas, Pep Boys, or similar, and see what they offer. You will, however be disappointed with the ride.

HTH,
Rich

Ken Potter
07-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Your Koni's can be rebuilt. Check with Paul at SVPU. He's a distributor.

vrinner
07-12-2003, 12:11 AM
My 84 street car has KYB shocks on it and they stink. They were put on back in about 86 before I knew what I had.

I just had my Koni shocks rebuilt on my 86 track car. Normally should cost around $135 each. Mine ended up costing my more than double that because of other issues/modification I wanted done to them.

I dont know how much the KYB's were at the time but I'm sure they are cheaper than $135 but you will loose in the performance.

CarGuy
07-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Cool - Thanks guys, maybe I can get the one Koni rebuilt for now (If its bad...) I'll give SVPU a call

Vrinner - I'm surprised you didn't like the KYBs. I've never used them, but have always heard good things about them.

Thanks again

vrinner
07-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy
Vrinner - I'm surprised you didn't like the KYBs. I've never used them, but have always heard good things about them.

The struts are non-adjustable. The horible ride is due to the Motorsport C springs.

lonchair
07-21-2003, 01:30 PM
I rebuilt my front struts with replacement cartriges from autozone. They are non adjustable and not performance oriented, but the ride is fine, even when driving the car kinda hard. They cost 35.00 a side and came with complete instructions. The cartriges fit inside the Koni strut body and from the outside, look just like normal. They are good for use on a budget.

CarGuy
07-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks lonchair - sounds like my kind of repair :D