PDA

View Full Version : First time apart, take two

Kens svo
12-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Just picked up this 86 2A for my son (15). I am not sure who is more excited. Looking forward to see how he handles this restoration. Let the fun begin...

Ken Potter
12-12-2015, 10:12 PM
I'll give my little speech...

You should seriously consider joining the club. That way you can search the registry ( see my title ) and find out the date it was built, how many that day, what combinations etc. You can also see any past history provided it has been entered at some point in the past. Of course if it has no entries you can add the first one.

Kens svo
12-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Ok, nice speech

Sending in my application tomorrow.

SVOeric
12-13-2015, 12:20 AM
congratz on your purchase...
I have a 15 year old as well (turns 16 in feb)
So it's time to hear my speech :)
To be honest, I'm a bit leary of turning him loose in a turbocharged car. One of the things about the SVO is when the turbo comes in, it hits like gangbusters.
that's something I'm not sure a new driver would be able to handle.

I know several people 'of age' that haven't been able to handle the turbocharged 'kick' on wet roads.
Just saying, be careful what you hand a younger driver. They are bound to test the limits, and I worry about what will happen.

svono50
12-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Congrats on the 2nd project, seems like a 'natural' thing to add to the garage. I can't say much about having a turbo Mustang as your first car...mine lasted only 29 days...but you could always install an adjustable boost controller and turn things down. ;)

I actually taught my buddy's little sister how to drive stick shift in my SVO back in the day (stop it right there fellas...), since he didn't want her getting in trouble with his 89 5.0L. She got the hang of it pretty quick and was doing well. We were running through the small farm town I grew up in on 30mph streets. She asked if she could give it a little gas, so I said 'sure'. We were rolling in 3rd, so it took a little bit for the turbo to spool up, but we ended up shooting by 50mph a bit quicker than she expected. Luckily I got her to lift and coast down without any issues. She learned a good lesson to take it easy with any car she wasn't familiar with, as her parents cars were both Pinto's with much less HP and didn't 'run away' like mine could.

Kens svo
12-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Shortly after I met my wife, I let her borrow my one year old SVO to run some errands. She brought it back a little while later white face and said" I don't like your car". She never drove it again. Lucky me. As for the second purchase, it will not be a daily driver. I am pretty proud of the kid, he researched and found this car on his own and got one heck of a deal. A running car plus a second engine, hood, front nose, and front parking lights all for under 3 grand. His plans for the car are car shows and possibly trying autocross. He has a lot of work to do before he does either.

svono50
12-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Great story! Sounds like your kid has his head on straight and is headed in the right direction. Learning driving skills on an auto-x course is one of the safest venues you can do it. Looking forward to its evolution and improvements.

unicorn
12-27-2015, 07:21 PM
that is pretty funny, my wife is the reason I have had some of them I have had.. She is really balling me for letting the unicorn go.

JTurbo
12-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Congrats on the addition. Take the circle-clip off the waste gate actuator arm for the first year... :)
Here is how my first 4-eye mustang (not even a turbo) ended up. Yes I was a stupid 16 YO
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/jturbo1014/81MustangGhia.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/jturbo1014/media/81MustangGhia.jpg.html)

Kens svo
12-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Mustang + snow = above pictures
I also had a four eye, bought it new when I got out of the service. Like most rwd car it hated snow. At the rate we are going on the restoration of his 86 2A it will be 2020 before he drives it :)
Thanks for the waste gate idea, I will keep that in mind.

JTurbo
12-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately I can't blame the accident on snow as the roads were bone dry when I totaled the car. Blame it on excessive speed and driver inexperience....

In any case - I look forward to seeing what you do with the SVO ;)

SVOeric
12-29-2015, 12:33 AM
I have one that looks nearly identical, 79 mustang, (was painted indy porsche red) == and no snow to blame the wreck on.

svono50
12-29-2015, 08:52 PM
I too took out my 79 Turbo Mustang just 29 days into car ownership @ 16yrs old...similar damage to Joe's, but in the driver's side a-pillar. Dry roads, clear conditions and lack of experience on what to do when transitioning from pavement to gravel. Lesson learned and moved onto an 80 Mustang N/A for the next 12 years. Back to our regularly scheduled project thread...

Kens svo
01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
We are trying to find out why one of the previous owner removed the original engine. Nothing obvious yet, sending the block and head to be magna fluxed to rule out any cracks. The front top main bearing shows some wear, but the rest look good to include rod, cam and aux. shaft bearings. If we find no cracks we plan having the deck cleaned up and then search for new pistons. So much fun:)

SVOeric
01-15-2016, 10:32 PM
take the minimum amount off the deck possible. I know a lot of engine builders think shorter deck=more compression = more performance, but there are other issues it creates.
1 - the farther you cut the deck, the shorter the distance between the crank and cam gear -- meaning you will have cam timing issues.
2 - higher compression can cause detonation on a stock computer tune.

Kens svo
01-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Wanted to share this, while disassembling the cylinder head we ran into a problem removing the hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). They usually just pull out by hand, well not so easy with this head. We used a blow gun and compressed air (120psi) to remove seven of them. The last one was really stubborn, tried soaking over night with penetrating oil, still would not budge. Tried removing the plunger and inserted a bolt extractor to try and turn it, no good. Now I am thinking new head, but I had to try one more thing, grease gun with a pencil tip adapter. Got to love basic hydraulics, it pushed right out.

Bruce
01-17-2016, 07:24 PM
That's a great trick. I used it to get the needle bearing out of the end of the crankshaft! Works like a charm.

SVOeric
01-18-2016, 01:17 AM
not sure I've ever seen lifters that hard to remove. Glad you thought through it, and got them all out!
Was this an engine that had sat a long time ?

Kens svo
08-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Update- engine rebuild is on hold while we do some much needed body repair. To much rust, the list runs on; fenders (both), rear quarter panels (lower), rear bumper cover support, rear hatch, roof (near hatch). Prepping for paint now.

svono50
08-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Nice works so far, looking forward to the new 'shiny' paint pics soon!

gbeaird
08-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah, you're almost there. Shiny paint really makes you feel like you're making progress!