PDA

View Full Version : A look at the Limited Slip

yldouright
07-14-2018, 10:53 AM
I've been told the SVO has a limited slip differential. Is this a clutch/spring type differential or something more exotic? Which Fords don't use this type of limited slip and is there any reason why these other types won't work/fit in the SVO?

SVO4PWR2
07-14-2018, 12:29 PM
I've seen two types
1st type in my 85 & 86 3:73 gears they had standard clutch / spring type

2nd type in my 84 with slapper bar "no quad shocks" with 3:45 gears has a cone type

Which ever one you have should be able to be rebuilt.

hth -RICH-

SVOeric
07-14-2018, 04:06 PM
SVO rears are 7.5's
If you beat on them, IE: slicks and hard launches, you will break them
the 7.5's do hold up fairly well for road-racing apps, less un-sprung weight.

a lot of people do replace the 7.5 with an 8.8 as there are more 8.8 options.
There's not really anything with an 8.8 that's a direct replacement. SVO rear width is a bit different than everything else out there, but there are options that work

yldouright
07-14-2018, 05:43 PM
@SVO4PWR2
Thanks. I appreciate the complete reply :)

@svoeric
What's the service schedule (adjust/replace) for both types of the Limted Slip assuming 10 road track days per year and daily driving? I've seen numerous 8.8 replacement posts on this and other forums. If I had to do that, I'd be looking for a T2. As I've already mentioned, I don't see the appeal of drag racing in general and that is particularly true of doing it in an SVO.

gbeaird
07-14-2018, 06:01 PM
We ran our 86 for years of 2-driver, once a month autocross events on sticky Kuhmo's and Hoosiers with nothing more than an annual gear oil change. It's still in fine shape.

Our C Prepared Firebird came with a 9-bolt, which is a cone type diff. We finally got to the point that it was doing the 'one-wheel-peel' off of corners, so we opted to update to a 9" with a Tru-Track. It's been doing well for years, so far, with nothing more than a bolt-check and oil change once a year, and that's on Hoosier slicks.

GAboySVO
07-15-2018, 09:29 PM
SVO rears are 7.5's

There's not really anything with an 8.8 that's a direct replacement. SVO rear width is a bit different than everything else out there, but there are options that work

That's not exactly correct. I used the FMS 8.8 from summit and all I had to do was swap my axels and brakes and everything else bolted right up. I did have to modify the body to rear end soft brake line bracket to match the 8.8 flange. I think you can do the same thing with any fox body 8.8.

SVOeric
07-15-2018, 10:11 PM
LOL that's exactly what I said.

You can make it work, but there are no EXACT replacements.
The housing is not the same width either, even tho it still works.