PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering

dsrk98
05-21-2002, 05:14 PM
I just bought a 86 svo, problem is, it sputters when under 3/4 to full throttle then goes away when I back out a little. Help?

IT WAS THE PLUG WIRES OF ALL THINGS!

svocudd
05-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Check state of tune, i.e. plugs with proper gap, wire's, cap, rotor, PCV valve, ingnition timing. Also verify fuel pressure, I think it should be around 40 at idle and climb one psi per pound of boost after that (sound correct everyone?)

Cudd

SVOeric
05-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Actually, at idle with the vacume connector on, it should be around 34-36 (at sea level)

with the connector off, it should be about 40 @ idle...

If it is a fuel starvation problem, you probably wont see the problem at idle.

You need to watch the gauge under acceleration, and if the fuel pressure is dropping when you are having the problem, you found your issue...

Also make sure the VAM to Turbo hose has the spring in it.. if it collapses, it will cause a similar issue.

svopantera
11-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by dsrk98
I just bought a 86 svo, problem is, it sputters when under 3/4 to full throttle then goes away when I back out a little. Help?

IT WAS THE PLUG WIRES OF ALL THINGS!

How long do the plug wires last (mileage/time)?

Gator
11-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by svopantera
How long do the plug wires last (mileage/time)?

Your gonna think im silly, and that may bee the case, however i change mine every oil-change or 2 along with the cap, rotor and plugs.

kiwi
11-03-2004, 05:14 PM
maybe 30,000 miles on wires? a lot of heat there with the turbo & all.....

svopantera
11-03-2004, 07:21 PM
I think mine might me toast at 8k miles. Does that sound weird?

Gator
11-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by svopantera
I think mine might me toast at 8k miles. Does that sound weird?

Nope, Like I said, I change mine every oil change or 2. ( ie: 6K if they make it that long )

8T6 SVO
11-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I still have the original set of wires on my car, 32,xxx miles. Now I haven't driven the car since Jan. 2002, but they worked perfect back then.

I do think Gator is silly - but we all have our quirks!

svobud
11-04-2004, 12:25 AM
What cudd said - and I would specifically look at the TPS if the wires/plugs/etc are fine (and Motorcraft). How old and what Octane of fuel are you running or do you know? Does it do the same thing in "regular" fuel mode as well?

If nothing works - try disconnecting the Knock Sensor and see if it's getting a false reading. OR - run the codes - always a basic item.

jayG
11-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Sputter doesnt always mean fuel starvation...in my case it was too much fuel. So I would suggest getting an adjustable fpr. Ive had many cars and its very rarely plug wires...but anything could happen.

svopantera
11-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by svobud
What cudd said - and I would specifically look at the TPS if the wires/plugs/etc are fine (and Motorcraft). How old and what Octane of fuel are you running or do you know? Does it do the same thing in "regular" fuel mode as well?

If nothing works - try disconnecting the Knock Sensor and see if it's getting a false reading. OR - run the codes - always a basic item.

The TPS is original to the car. I bought the car two years ago with 13k miles and it now has 38k miles. I have a gillis bypass valve set at 18 psi. Knock sensor has been disconnected and bypass valve installed two years ago. No codes

svopantera
11-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jayG
Sputter doesnt always mean fuel starvation...in my case it was too much fuel. So I would suggest getting an adjustable fpr. Ive had many cars and its very rarely plug wires...but anything could happen.

I have an adjustable fpr already.