PDA

View Full Version : Onion heads

svocudd
06-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Is this item unique to the SVO? If so, what makes is different then the other Fox 3 upper strut mounts?

I see that Energy Suspension makes poly replacement upper stur mount bushings. Can these be used on the SVO?

Thanks

Cudd

SVOeric
06-24-2002, 11:02 AM
these are specific to the SVO.

Ford also sold these in the ford motorsports catalog, and they were pretty expensive.

The kit energy sells will not work.
I had a knuckle head @ XXXXX auto parts store sell me one of these kits a for my onion heads. he said yea.. sure it says svo on the list of things that it fits. (probably said NOT SVO)

I bought a set of used ones for my car, cause the rubber in mine was toasted..

BigNBlue
06-24-2002, 12:35 PM
Sacramento Mustang advertises' these as original
Ford replacements. I have not purchased a set but
ran across them looking for other parts. They sell for $98 @.

Follow this link:
http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl

BigNBlue
06-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Oops!! Bad link. Just go to SacramentoMustang.com and search SVO Suspension parts.

SVOeric
06-24-2002, 01:23 PM
umm.. yea.. that is correct, $98 each!!

so you can have $196 in a set of stock replacments, or

spend a little less, and get a good set of caster/camber plates.

Of course, it depends on what your plans for the car are, but I would definetly go for the caster/camber plates.

SVOeric
06-24-2002, 05:09 PM
I was on the phone with Paul @ SVPU and mentioned this, and he laughed very hard...

Seems that the The 2002 Ford motorsport racing catalog (page 100) has these onion heads listed part number M-18183-H

list price in the motorsport catalog is $35 each.

Maybe the ones from sacramento mustang come with KY Jelly for lubrication???

Paul was still laughing when we hung up the phone...

BigNBlue
06-24-2002, 07:32 PM
Ford also sold these in the ford motorsports catalog, and they were pretty expensive.

Hey Eric!! I agree $198 a pair is a bit over the top, but $70 a pair doesn't sound "pretty expensive" to me. :p

Just dishin' out a little!!!

SVOeric
06-24-2002, 08:35 PM
well on my pay-check, anything over $20 is expensive!!!

BTW: while we are dishing, they are $99 each :) bringing the grand total to $198 per pair...

shew.. that is some serious markup.. wonder where I can get into a racket like that!!!

svocudd
06-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Just checked my normal Ford Motorsport source. They list the onion heads at $30 each. I just might have to pick up a pair.

Cudd

gbeaird
06-26-2002, 01:35 PM
I didn't know FMS units existed. At $30 each, that is a steal, IMHO.

I did, however, while looking around in junk yards, come across a set on a ~'80s-era 6-cyllinder Grenada/Futura wagon that had onionheads that looked EXACTLY like those on a SVO. I didn't get them, as I wasn't sure if they would work, or not. The center hole is probably too small.

It is something to look at, though. With the FMS units available, we may not need to investigate this any further.

Gene Beaird
86 2R SVO
Pearland, Texas

svono50
06-26-2002, 01:47 PM
If my memory serves me right, the onion heads were not unique to the SVO, they were standard early FOX model pieces. They were chosen over the sandwich style units because they allowed ~1" more of strut travel before bottoming out. This is all from memory of articles I read in the past, so take it for what it is worth.

My former 79 & 80 Mustangs had the onion head units and they were identical to my SVO's. I ran 86 GT struts in my 80 w/o any fitment problems on the onion mount. I am sure you could pick up a set from any JY Mustang, Capri, Fairmont or Zepher. Of course with Ford selling the for only $30/side why would you get a used unit except in an emergency?

brooksgnm
07-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Yep, I just went out and looked at my cars. The 78 Zephyr had onion heads, the 83 Capri didn't, and if memory serves me right, the 85 gt didn't either. -Mark

russde
01-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Someone mentioned (Eric?) that instead of the onion head mounts that a quality set of caster/camber plates might be a good option.
Are the standard Mustang ones 'bolt-on' for the SVO? Or do they need to be specific for the SVO?

SVOeric
01-05-2003, 12:37 PM
the onion heads are just a little heavier than the stock units.., That is why you find them on the heavier cars. (would be my guess)

Standard caster/camber plates for a 5.0 should work fine

Speaking of which.. i need to get me a set

lonchair
01-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by SVOeric

Just some info I found out recently. I looked into buying the Onion Heads that are forsale from FMS. According to the place I called in Houston (Tommy Vaughn Motorsports) and a couple of discontinued parts suppliers, the ones from FMS are not the ones that fit the SVO. The SVO ones are part # D8BZ-18A161-B and the Motorcraft # AD192 . Both are discontinued. A discontinued parts place (Green something.....) did a search for me and found that there were 6 left at 3 different discontiued parts places. I'm picking one set up on Tuesday.

8T6 SVO
01-05-2003, 07:19 PM
I picked up a pair of Ford Motorsport Onion Heads several months ago. They are identical to the stock SVO ones and fit perfectly.

8T6

SVOPaul
01-06-2003, 12:16 AM
The ones that FMS listed ARE the SVO ones....and they are NOT obsolete....I have them in stock ;)

Often times you will find parts guys that will tell you something is obsolete because they don't feel like looking it up or ordering it....

lonchair
01-06-2003, 09:35 AM
you sure? Both my local parts guy and the guy at the motorsport place said that the ones from FMS came up saying "except SVO". If they are the same, thats good cause the FMS ones are cheeper.

8T6 SVO
01-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Per the 2002 Ford Racing Performance Parts Catalog, "Ford Racing has a limited supply of these mounts originally used on production Mustangs from 1979-38 and SVO Mustangs from 1984-86. It is adaptable to 1987-93 Mustangs as well. This mount is still preferred by many enthusiasts since it maintains the position of the strut more precisely during hard cornering."
Part #M-18183-H

lonchair
01-06-2003, 12:53 PM
I guess the parts place I spoke with was just plane wrong or just mistaken. Eitherway, I'll get the motorsports ones and save some money.

Scott Evil
01-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Pardon my complete ignorance, but what is an onion head?

svobud
01-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Scott Evil
Pardon my complete ignorance, but what is an onion head?

open the hood, look at the strut - that big black round part that the strut attaches to ... hope that explains it.

Scott Evil
01-29-2003, 05:54 PM
gotcha.

I have heard the PRC actuators on my Turbo Coupe called cookies, onion head is a new one for me.

svobud
01-29-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Scott Evil
gotcha.

I have heard the PRC actuators on my Turbo Coupe called cookies, onion head is a new one for me.

well, I wouldn't know anything about your TC. We're talking about SVOs.

Scott Evil
01-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I guess that was a weak joke.