PDA

View Full Version : SVO Center Caps

SVO4Turbo
09-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Are the center caps on the factory wheels made of metal or plastic? I don't have them in my possession at the moment so I can't check. Also, do any of you know of anyone making replacements for the factory center caps?

I sent my wheels off to get chromed....sent a picture of an SVO wheel and everything to obtain a quote. Nothing mentioned about the center caps which are clearly there. Price is bid at $600. Now, after I've shipped the wheels to them, they bring up that there are plastic center caps on the wheels, and those are going to cost $40 each to have chromed since they are plastic. F that. I'm not going to bend over and take it simply because I sent the wheels.

So far, not happy... www.chromeprosplating.com

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Pat_in_L.A.
09-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Yes, the center caps are plastic.

EDIT: my bad. I was wrong. I grabbed an 85 200SX Turbo center cap, which looks amazingly similar. They both have that spun stainless outer cover.

SVO4Turbo
09-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks Pat. Since they are plastic, couldn't you just use that chrome spray paint on the plastic center caps? I'm just looking for suggestions. If your suggestion is "pay it and now you know", I'd like to hear that too. $160 just seems crazy for 4 little 2" caps.

Pat_in_L.A.
09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
You were willing to pay for the wheels to be chromed and you committed to that. Just pay for that and leave the center caps as they are. You could find NOS center caps for a lot less than $160.

BTW, have you checked out the "paid member" features here at SVOCA? Paid members get a deal at Wheel Worx.

SVO4Turbo
09-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Do you think the caps would look good with Chrome wheels?

Pat_in_L.A.
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by SVO4Turbo
Do you think the caps would look good with Chrome wheels?

I wouldn't pay $160 to have them chromed.

A guy sold me 4 NOS ones at last year's Reunion for just a couple bucks a piece. God bless him. The paid members here hang tough!

SVO4PWR2
09-09-2005, 09:25 PM
i just checked my wheels....my centercaps are metal of some sort...i even took a magnet to them, there was a weak magnet pull.

plus when i polished my rims i did the centercaps with a light sandblast and then hours of buffing.

-RICH-

SVO4Turbo
09-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Pat_in_L.A.
I wouldn't pay $160 to have them chromed.

A guy sold me 4 NOS ones at last year's Reunion for just a couple bucks a piece. God bless him. The paid members here hang tough!

I meant the factory looking center caps with chrome wheels.

SVO4PWR2 - That's odd that yours are metal. They look like you have them polished to mirror shine.

Rob Hughes
09-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Yea, mine (2 sets) are stainless I believe...maybe different years got different caps.

svobud
09-09-2005, 10:24 PM
All of mine have been made of metal.

SVO4Turbo
09-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Thank you all for your input. It appears I need to have a discussion with them. I can't help but wonder if this sort of "bait and switch" is a normal practice. Pretty hard to back out after you've made the investment of shipping them the wheels.

Thanks Again.

indiana dave
09-10-2005, 08:37 AM
I don't think they did a bait and switch... It's common to quote something, then discover something else that may need more $.
I would tell them to scrap the centercaps, and go to Ford and order some for an 80's Tempo. Same thing. I believe brand new ones would look fine with chrome wheels.
If you search this site, you can confirm the application. I'm pretty sure it was the Tempos.

SVO4Turbo
09-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I agree that I won't be spending the $160 and will try another application, but I do think they should have at least asked the question. I sent them a closeup of an SVO wheel. I guess I try to do my business in an informative manner, to avoid situations like this. It's really not the $160, but more the principal.

Thanks for that info Dave, I had no idea that there was another source for these caps. As usual, this site proves to be helpful.

I'll make sure I post pictures when they are completed, and hope this post helps others who are thinking about going through this process.

SVO4Turbo
09-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I couldn't find any info on the center caps for a Tempo on this site, but I started doing a bit of searching and I think you're right. Do they look like what you see in the picture http://www.automotive.com/1985/65/ford/tempo/gl/colorado/colorado-springs/15827782/32/

or here...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317238

KevinK
09-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I bought new center caps at Ford 6-7 yrars ago. They cost $40 + each witha discount. Not cheap but it was a new part and not a used one.

SVOeric
09-10-2005, 08:26 PM
svpu had them NOS, and I'm sure PPI does as well.

Gyrhead
09-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Green Sales has them NOS for $15 each. They are aluminum.

THESVOTRUST
09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Joe,
I'm sorry to hear this (I know you want chromed wheels)
I feel bad also in that the offer you made on my set (was probably based on the "low price" you got from this company!

IF you are coming to the reunion I will try and bring some NOS, some used (so you can have chromed) and some polished caps
should you choose to spent the $930 with this company.

Mark
P.S. I also have 20 NOS lugnuts or 16 and a NOS set of Mcgards

SVO4Turbo
09-13-2005, 04:06 AM
No worries. I sent an e-mail to them that explained how I felt about the situation, in a nice way, and they have since replied saying that they understand and will do the caps for $10 each which would about cover their labor costs. I'm still not thrilled, but $40 is a lot better than $160, so I'll just pay it and be done.

So that takes the price to $640, plus what I have invested in shipping, to about $700 for the set including caps.

Thanks for the offer Mark. You've been most helpful.

THESVOTRUST
09-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Glad to hear that they "stepped up and offered the discount"!

Let us know how these hold up-there are probably a few that would like to find a good service.

Mark

P.S. That car (in your photo) deserves chome wheels!

SVO4Turbo
09-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by THESVOTRUST

P.S. That car (in your photo) deserves chome wheels!

Yes, I had a spare set on the car when I took that picture. Looks pretty bad for a 33K car. :D

I'll update with the new wheels when they are done.

Joe

venomizd93
12-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I bought some for a tempo off of evilbay for $8 for a set of 4 and I can't tell the difference between the two. They are metal with the tabs on them as well.