SVO's: A red one.

How about letting us have some good discussions

I certainly dont mean to offend anyone by this and I realize that most of us are just guests here and have to play by the rules setforth. Anyway, I thought the last thread about the 'saved section' was interesting and worth discussing further and was somewhat disappointed by the way it was simply locked after some very good ideas were brought to light. The further discussion was not an attempt to sway the decision that has been made but to brainstorm ideas to help promote everything this site stands for. I enjoy having a good discussion on topics that all dont agree upon and that is what makes these forums fun to me.

I'm just venting a little so dont take offense to it.
    '79 Indy pace car V8 4sp; '79 Indy pace car 4cyl turbo 36k miles; '82 GT T-top; '85 ascMcLaren coupe; '85 SVO 1C; '86 SVO 1C; '86 SVO 2R; '88 Turbocoupe; 90 GT vert; '92 GT

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    It was beat to death, every single point of it had been covered at least 3 times.
    there were no new ideas, just the same idea, brought up another way.

The BOD voted, and decided against it. What more do you want ?
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Well I am somewhat new here so I didnt see it as being beat to death. I agree it was voted on and denied and that was that however what harm could it bring to further discuss different ideas that branch off the original topic? Again, I'm not trying to stir things up or offend anyone but I just found it interesting. I have absolutely no idea what it takes to run a site like this and what is involved with adding something new or changing things.
    '79 Indy pace car V8 4sp; '79 Indy pace car 4cyl turbo 36k miles; '82 GT T-top; '85 ascMcLaren coupe; '85 SVO 1C; '86 SVO 1C; '86 SVO 2R; '88 Turbocoupe; 90 GT vert; '92 GT

what harm could come ?
    Next thing you know, we're all nazi sporting killroys, cause we said no, and there ain't no point in going there....
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

We have all "saved" cars....however a forum for that is nothing more than a "look at me forum" which I don't think is necessary or appropriate. I have my own cars history detailed on my website and when I talk about it I talk about how I got a smokin deal on a car that was abandoned and rebuilt it....not tooting my own horn about how I did everyone a favor and "saved" a car....yes I saved it but there is no special gold star for that...it's part of being an enthusiast.

Saving a car from certain death is one thing....buying a project from another member that had already "saved" it from dire straights is not "saving" the car...it is merely picking up the ball on someone else's "saved project" because a current SVOCA member is not realistically going to junk or part out a restorable car. It may make the story sound better but it's not accurate.

Just talking in the lounge or other areas on this site about what you are doing and sharing your progress is ALREADY a way to show what you are doing and even info about saving a car from doom.....so another topic for "saved" cars would only muddy things and clutter the site....we have a lounge area and that among other things going on belong there.

There are sites out there with 800 subforums and they are aggravating at best to navigate....who has the time to sort through 50 or more categories. If we start with more subforums then where does it stop? we could end up with categories like "how to wash your SVO" or "Recommended service intervals" and things that really don't need it's own forum category.

Most of us have "saved" a car....some have saved many like myself and the west coast contingent.....but we, the BoD just don't see the need in a "look at me" forum....it just doesn't fit our style as a group.

OK. You guys make the rules and decisions. I just was making a comment and suggestion thats all. I wasnt trying to argue the fact you said no.

Part of what attracted to me to this site was your aggresive stance on protecting these cars and their identity which is what that thread was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_pro50
    OK. You guys make the rules and decisions. I just was making a comment and suggestion thats all. I wasnt trying to argue the fact you said no.

Part of what attracted to me to this site was your aggresive stance on protecting these cars and their identity which is what that thread was all about.
    Understood but there are threads about this everywhere already which is why we didn't feel it necessary to create a new one to rehash what is already out there.

We can't please everyone all the time....we are trying to keep the site streamlined enough that it isn't a chore to search for or find things and a redundant category isn't going to help that.

Just because we don't want to create a new category for information that is already covered eslewhere doesn't mean we no longer have an aggressive stance on protecting these cars. The thread was about creating a new topic and one that was already covered elsewhere under another category...not about protecting the cars.

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Since I was the one who asked the original question I feel the need to clear some things up. I never intended it to be a "look at me" forum. I intended it to be a "LOOK AT US" forum. A section any Joe or Joesphine could see and go "Hey look" and just click once. Some positive attitude or reaching out to bring in new members sure wouldn't hurt the club. I figure it was the quickest way to hook new members. And yes while everybody, man or woman, young or old, enjoys getting praise for ANY job well done I wasn't looking for compliments. The whole question of if somebody else started the project for me or anybody else to finish wasn't my point. Whenever I take on a new project it's new to ME. If someone else has started fixing it that's great but I usually go back to start from a clean slate and not just adding my work on top. I've looked around several sites and a few had similar things and I thought it would be good for US as a club. The members cars section hasn't even been updated since 9/03. I'll close by saying that while it wasn't my decision and I understand and respect everybody. I feel somewhat disappointed and maybe even a little insulted. I've ALWAYS been pro-SVOCA and have even defended it, the members, and the BOD, even if it wasn't always something I agreed with. Later...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Potter
    Since I was the one who asked the original question I feel the need to clear some things up. I never intended it to be a "look at me" forum. I intended it to be a "LOOK AT US" forum. A section any Joe or Joesphine could see and go "Hey look" and just click once. Some positive attitude or reaching out to bring in new members sure wouldn't hurt the club. I figure it was the quickest way to hook new members. And yes while everybody, man or woman, young or old, enjoys getting praise for ANY job well done I wasn't looking for compliments. The whole question of if somebody else started the project for me or anybody else to finish wasn't my point. Whenever I take on a new project it's new to ME. If someone else has started fixing it that's great but I usually go back to start from a clean slate and not just adding my work on top. I've looked around several sites and a few had similar things and I thought it would be good for US as a club. The members cars section hasn't even been updated since 9/03. I'll close by saying that while it wasn't my decision and I understand and respect everybody. I feel somewhat disappointed and maybe even a little insulted. I've ALWAYS been pro-SVOCA and have even defended it, the members, and the BOD, even if it wasn't always something I agreed with. Later...
    Ken, you were in the light simply because you started the thread. I did not mention it as a "Look at Ken thread"....just a "look at me" because simply put there is no other way to describe what that thread would seem like.

Now...consider this....would you rather have a listing of everybody's project car on ONE website or have 200 people list the life story of their own SVO on THEIR site...therefore giving a presence of 200 SVO "Saved" stories on the net rather than one single site. And to have them on just this site, there isn't enough space to give due credit/space to each person.

I also have my own saved stories and cars...but I detail those on my website which gives another "hit" for google or whatever. A more commanding presence would be many different sites on the web detailing stories rather than one single one with a thread or subforum that people would have to search through.

I am not in charge of it but I find it hard to believe the members cars section has not been updated in over 3 years and if I were Eric I would personally find that insulting...especially considering all that he has done for this site to make it run smoothly.

SVO's: 841C,862R,841Ettop
    Ken, i still think the idea and sentiment behind it, in whatever form it may have eventuated, was a good idea.

Greg, thanks for promoting the idea of intelligent debate on topics of relevance.

Chris

I assure you the members section has been updated since 03 (speaking of insults ?)

Other than the emails I get from people asking me to "update my pic with this", and I have no idea who they are, or what they want updated, I get updates done within 2 weeks, and normally quicker.

I don't think I can remember a time when there havn't been pics of at least 10 svo's in the forum, in different states, not to mention the HUNDREDS (probably close to 1000) pics on the regular site.

it's already been said -- if you want to do it right, SETUP YOUR OWN SITE. you are not going to be able to do a full restoration justice in one thread anyway.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Again, I didnt open this thread to rehash the topic of the last thread. A decision was made and I respect that. I just didnt like the way it was locked while some of us were still politely discussing a topic that we were excited about. It was kinda like everyone was told to shut up and go back to their corners. As an enthusiast I can't help but to get excited over some things. I was the one who proposed the "lost and found" section over at FEP that people became excited about and started contributing pictures to. I'm not bashing the site as I feel its a great site but I think we should be given a little leeway to discuss topics.

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    Ya know what guys ... I'm getting tired of this.

Greg - stop it. I don't care what you title this as, stop whinning and crying cause you weren't allowed to throw your 2 cents in on a dead-end topic. You obviously didn't respect the decision that was made cause you started an entirely NEW thread in the same topic section.

Chris - the cheerleader section is found elsewhere. Look under, "me too"

Ken - You didn't need to clear up a thing. You just added more fuel to the arguement and did so here cause THIS is nothing more than a continuation of the CLOSED thread from before. And ladies and gentlemen - that's exactly what DISCUSSIONS turn into - arguements - and I for one am not letting it continue.

THREAD CLOSED

Director, and Idiot Savant Gator's Avatar
    Well, i aint speaking for anyone else but me. Please keep in mind while reading this that I consider myself one of the few that steppd up and "saved" an SVO. It was literally said to me that if I did not buy it, it was going to the junkyard. So (again) keep that in mind while reading this.

OK....First off i liked the idea, but in the end, i still voted "no."

Here were my thoughts.

IMO there were / are too many questions than answers right now in my eye.

What is to say that we should dedicate a section to "saved" cars ? Lets have a section for low mile survivor cars, a section for cars with high-mile cars, a section for dailey drivers, a section for race cars...yada yada yada...before we know it we should have section for SVO's with rusty intake bolts that are red and have yellow stickers on the fender. ( Im being sarcastic here, yes...but I hope that you see my point. )

That got me thinking...we need not highlight "saved" cars with thier own section just as we do not highlight low miled originals with thier own section.

Arent saved SVO's special ? Hell yes they are...but in the end, my 1D is no more "special" than an original owner car, a race car, a 3rd owner 94 mile car...or the Road Warrior. I consider this forum to be just like our reunions. If its an SVO...its special.

Should "saved" SVO's be heralded as such ?...hell yes they should. But I really dont think that we need a whole section dedicated to them to make sure that they are and show the world what we as a club can do.

Just as it was mentioned...if you did a lot of work to an SVO and your proud of your save... start a web-page, its easy and truely a great way to show accomplishments.

Now that was the brunt of it as to why i chose no. Like I said, I liked the idea, it was a good idea...but it brings on too many roads that i would rather not go down....along with all the "little" things like space, management, time management...who will do all this, what standards would we use, and who's definition of "saved" we use....cause I promise you that i do not take the term "saved" lightly.

Now can we discuss anything we want..? Yeah,we did and it was decided by the BOD as a "no." Now what other topic should we discuss..?
    Last edited by Gator; 02-23-2006 at 08:28 PM.