Thread: T3/T4 Hybrid 5 Bolt?

T3/T4 Hybrid 5 Bolt?

I need some help. I know I'm going to eventually go to a T3/T4 hybrid. I've seen a few on eBay and they mention a 5 bolt? Is that referring to the exhaust manifold flange or the intake bolt area?

I'm not sure, I dont' want to get a turbo (I wanna get a good deal) that won't work with our setup. If it comes down to it, I may very well just go to one of the vendors that support this board and make sure I get the right turbo that is without question.

-JD-

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    You really need to talk to charlie at Evergreen, and not mess with that ebay crap.

If you have member under your name, you will certainly get a DEAL!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Ya I know. I need to get that taken care of. I'm just trying to expand my knowledge as well. I don't like to just go out and buy the biggest and best. I want what is going to fit my needs. I try not to buy anything blind, I want it explained to me for the why and how....

-JD-

JD,

The five bolt refers to the outlet style on the rear of the turbo exhaust side. Even though so many on this board speak ill of the "E-Bay" turbo(s), I ended up getting my Hybrid from there for a really good price ($200.00 new). I did send it down to Charlie @ Evergreen so that he could change the center section over to water cooled (since it was only an oil cooled center) and he gave it a look over to make sure it wasn't just an expensive door stop. I got the all clear from him and it cost me an extra $75. Not bad if you look at the mathematics involved. So don't be discouraged from buying there if you really see a deal, just make sure to go a little extra and have it evaluated before the install.

Good Luck,

Chris
    1985 1E SVO
    1965 Shelby Cobra
    1967 Mustang Fastback
    1992 LX 5.0 Convt
    2005 Mustang GT

The ebay stuff is not a real high grade turbo. Some have had luck with them and others have taken them back off because of failure.
    The 5 bolt just refers to the T3 bolt pattern on the exhaust flange that goes to the waste gate houseing.
    Tell Evergreen what you want it to do and what power you want. He'll fix you up.
    I'm going alittle bigger on my next one.
    Members get a better deal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00104.jpg  
    Time to clean up the engine bay!

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Charlie don't just say ok -- I'll send you a big turbo.
    he asks what are your hp goals, what rpm do you want the power to start, where do you want to hit your peak hp, what are your plans for the car (road race, auto-x, street)... what future plans?
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Well right now, I don't know a whole lot of the power possiblities or the possibilities of the SVO. All I know is basic stuff can get you 250 HP with about 300 ft lbs of torque and it will handle like its on rails with stock suspension. I'm trying to learn and I do use the Search (this time I didn't) function. I'm starting to lean towards using the SVO as a occasional road course car (since I'm a soon to be ex-road racer), drag racer and street car. So its gotta look purdy too!

Basically, I'm hoping to get 300 HP at the wheels with the ability to later go to 350-400 hp with the major upgrades. My car has to be faster than my Wife's stock Mustang!

Thanks for the responses.

-JD-

SVO's: Several
    Just because it is a five bolt does not necessarily mean that the turbo will fit the Ford elbow. Other manufacturers' turbine housings have different bolt patterns. That's just one more reason to rely on the club's vendors.