Thread: Seeing is believing

SVO's: 1984 9W, #3537-SOLD

Seeing is believing

My favorite part of the track event was hearing that an SVO will hang with the 03-04 cobras on the Barber road coarse.. So I was in my fourth session of the day, when I notice that I am slowly catching up to a red stang.. I was not pushing my car full out as I know that it has a small oil leak when pushed all out.. I was shifting at about 4500 rpm with the boost around 12-13 psi.. As I got closer to that red mustang I noticed that it had the rear spoiler with no raise in it between.. Upon closer inspection it had the word "COBRA" in the rear bumper cover, identifying it as an 03-04 cobra.. I looked in the rearview mirror, and there was nobody close enough to worry about.. As I got closer, it seemed like he was starting to push that cobra a bit more.. I ran a little bit harder also, to see if my SVO would hang with this cobra.. I followed him for about 2 laps, there were a few places that I could have passed him, as always it was coming out of the corners.. I would brake before the corner & be on the gas going through the corner all the way.. The cobra would be wrestling his car around the turns & then he got on the gas as the turns went straight.. If we could have passed in the turns, I would have passed him on the first lap, so I paitently waited untill I got that hand sign to pass out the drivers window.. I boosted it up & passed with ease & a nod to the driver.. I'm very impressed with my SVO & how well she did aginst all of those other cars.. I passed a lot of cars (Roush's, Saleen's, GT's, Cobra's, & even a kit car cobra)with ease because of the SVO's corning ability.. I just wanted to share this with you all.. Thanks for all your support in getting my car up to racing status, so I could have this awesome story to tell..

Dave
    84 SVO 9W #3537 6th fastest @ '09 autocross

SVO's: Several
    It sounded like your dad had a great time, too!

SVO's: 1984 9W, #3537-SOLD
    Pat, He told me to tell everybody that he had a blast!! I offered him a ride everytime I want out on the track, but he kept saying, "You are here to have fun, get out there & have some fun.." It was great!! Thanks to all..

Dave
    84 SVO 9W #3537 6th fastest @ '09 autocross

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Dave,

I know what you mean. There was a silver 05 Roush, GTs and a couple of 03-04 Cobra's that the Road Warrior dogged all day until we got the pass sign or they broke. I would love to have seen their faces when the RW passed 'em by.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Quote Originally Posted by GAboySVO View Post
    I would love to have seen their faces when the RW passed 'em by.
    At the end of one session, Californiadreamer saw their faces and heard their comments after having ridden along as a passenger in the RW. I'll let him post about his debriefing with a few Cobra owners.

SVO's: 85 Ford Red
    I did hear one comment next to me when they saw the Road Warrior,
    That's not a Mustang!

SVO's: '86 2R
    Thanks Pat, now gather round 'chilen...........

#1 When Harry took the car out I was in the grandstands and saw him pull up in line (about 6th to start) in the Road Warrior and the group in front of me said "Man, what a pile". I said "It has over 200K on it too". I didn't take long for Harry to move into second behind either a Rousch 360R or a new GT500 Shelby. They didn't think it was a piece then! Harry finished the race 2nd and was on the lead cars tail the whole time! "C" class

#2 When I was leaving the track that day I saw the guy wiping down his Rousch Limited 360R and another guy was giving him **%^%! They both were around 60+. I said (to the 360R driver) "dude, were you holding back on that car, I kept expecting you to blow everyone away". He didnt say a word to me and I knew he was PO'ed. The other guy looks at me and says "Did you see me pass his arse? He kept telling me how he was gonna blow me away (believe he had the GT500) and I passed him on the second lap!" I said "I saw that, but what was that little white car on your tail the whole time (RoadWarrior)?" He went to cussing and hollerin' about that SVO and how he kept pulling away from Harry on the straights. I said "I noticed you pulled away on the straights, but he seemed to be all over you in the curves!" Another one minute on ranting/cussing about the road warrior until he finally says...."Ya know, those SVO's are pretty darn quick little cars!

Nice quote I guess.....Ya know, those SVO's ARE pretty darn quick little cars! Thanks again GAboy, for taking me out there!
    Fry the computer Guy

Director, and Idiot Savant Gator's Avatar
    HA !! That flippin rocks !!!

Im lookin for it, but word is that there is a thread somewhere out there ( on one of the SVT sites, or Mustang sites ) about the event....and one of the topics is road-warrior.

I gotta find it !!

Road Warrior SVO = RESPECT DUE.

SVO's: 84 slapper, 85 Hertz
    Yeah, after I got the IC hose situation under control, myself and the Road Warrior beat up up on'em pretty good. Only 1 other car that was quicker....a 98 GT I believe. He said he was stock but who knows or cares. I was only runnin' 13-15#'s of boost and the RW was having over boost issues but we still faired pretty good.
    "Team Cobra Kai"

Quote Originally Posted by jayG View Post
    Yeah, after I got the IC hose situation under control, myself and the Road Warrior beat up up on'em pretty good.
    Was that you in Bud's car?

SVO's: 1986 1c
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    HA !! That flippin rocks !!!

Im lookin for it, but word is that there is a thread somewhere out there ( on one of the SVT sites, or Mustang sites ) about the event....and one of the topics is road-warrior.

I gotta find it !!

Road Warrior SVO = RESPECT DUE.
    I tried the link this morning and the thread is no longer there. It was on the svtcobra.com site. It was bsically about a guy going 4 wheels off trying to catch a white peice of &*% with multicolor pannels. I assume it is the road warrior.

It wouldnt supprise me to find out that he relized he was chasing a 4cyl and deleted the post due to embarassment.
    Confucius says" a closed mouth gathers no foot"

SVO's: 85 2A Mild mods
    You guys are mirroring exactly what's happened the few times I'v ebeen at an open track event. Everyone is suprised by how fast my SVO is on a road course.
    Ironically, The one day, I had the same problem blowing intercooler hoses off at ful boost for a whole 1/2 mile straight. A couple cinch straps, and tightening the hose clamps as tight as possible at least kept the intercooler in place the next day.
    Not to knock down egos, but a novice driver can make even the best car look bad against a good driver in a lessor car though.
    Oh yea, Just remembered another SVO chasing Cobra story.
    I was on a club outing threw the sounther indiana backroads, and came up on a 98 or so Cobra. He was running pretty hard, and would pull away from me on the long straights. (I was running stock boost if I recall back then).
    I was on his back bumper like glue in the corners. At the destination, he wouldn't talk to me. Oh yea, My car was faded, and had a red primered hood.
    I was at Kenny Browns not long after that and it came up that the guy came in a dumped $2000 into suspension mods saying some little beat up old Mustang handled better than his car. LOL!!!
    If it ain't broke... Give me some time!