Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    SVO's: 1986 2R comp prep
    Do you think the wheels from www.mavromont.com would fit an SVO? I'm looking for a set of wheels to put on some DOT race tires for open track driving.

Willie

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    I'm not too sure about those pony wheels... the offset isn't enough.

Here, try these - http://www.konigwheels.com/home.cfm

go to "what fits"

Type in FORD PROBE - 1993

You should get a list of MANY different styles of wheels. Stay with the ones that are 40-42mm offsets and no wider than 8", and If you bigger than 17" you'll have problems (I'm adding this clause in case someone else reads this later and their application is NOT a track car).

Dunno if they'll meet certain standards for a SERIOUS track car - but they're a definite viable alternative.

drewkeen
    Originally posted by 89stangChic
    Sweet!
    I was curious about the 2k Cobra rims and 99-02 Cobra Rims.
    18x9 and like 17x8... anyone on this? I know these rims are different due to the IRS in those models....
    no such thing as a 2k cobra, only the 2k cobra R

there were no cobras made in 02 either.

the stock rims are 17x8 on the 94-01 models for sure, i think the 03 has 17x9's and im not sure o nthe 93.

now my question, can i use my cobra's 245/45-17's on the rear of the svo for traction? i have nittos on them and they sure would grab nice and allow me to buy some cheap tires for the svo.

Originally posted by drewkeen
    now my question, can i use my cobra's 245/45-17's on the rear of the svo for traction? i have nittos on them and they sure would grab nice and allow me to buy some cheap tires for the svo.
    You'll have to roll the fender lip or they will rub on the outside edge of the tire....especially on a bump.

SVO's: 1986 SVO 1D
    So, guys, I have a question:

If I go to a 17" rim, then what is the correct tire height if going with a 225 width?

How about with a 245 width?

Thanks, in advance, for your responses?

Rich
    SVOCA Member # 360
    86 SVO (1D) - built on 11/23/1985 (1 of 223)
    86 Merkur XR4Ti
    93 Honda Nighthawk

drewkeen
    i think 45 with 225 and 40 with 245.

here, i think i will show how those 96 cobra rims look o na 96 cobra heh...they look awesome on that black svo though, i think il lhave to try them out on mine sometime.

http://twcmedia.hypermart.net/cobra/cobra003.jpg
    http://twcmedia.hypermart.net/cobra/cobra007.jpg
    http://twcmedia.hypermart.net/cobra/cobra018.jpg
    http://twcmedia.hypermart.net/cobra/cobra019.jpg
    http://twcmedia.hypermart.net/cobra/cobra020.jpg

i have more if interested, but i think they looked better on the svo than the sn-95 personally.

Bud,

Are u certain that probe wheels will fit the svo?

I ask this because I watched as the owner of a new/used wheel shop tried to slide a set of probe gt wheels on my car.

He did not seem to force the issue but, as I looked at the rim it did SEEM to have a smaller centerbore.

btw... Why do u suggest using 40-42mm offset?

The svo wheel is suppose to be 44.5mm.

I do have a question which someone on this board should be able to answer. I have heard the Bullitt Mustang wheel will fit with minor modification. What exactly does this minor modification consist of.
    Last edited by pegasus.v.o; 10-07-2002 at 02:15 AM.
    Duhhh!!!! Why dont ya put a 5.0 in that car George???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pegasus.v.o
    Bud,

Are u certain that probe wheels will fit the svo?

A stock Probe wheel will NOT fit without machining the center hub out larger. When I suggest "Probe Wheels" - I meaning "Probe Applications

btw... Why do u suggest using 40-42mm offset?

The svo wheel is suppose to be 44.5mm.

Most people are wanting a wider wheel. The two applications I've seen used were both Probe Applications in the 40-42mm range. My car and Gary Alsobrooks' car. I try not to 'theory' my way through things. This is what I know works, but who knows - there may be something out there that's better.

I do have a question which someone on this board should be able to answer. I have heard the Bullitt Mustang wheel will fit with minor modification. What exactly does this minor modification consist of.

Milling the backside. Call Paul at SVPU - he had a set milled to fit a stock suspension.

CrazyHa-Y-an
    Has anyone looking for custom sized wheels ever checked out Boyd Coddington? Granted I wouldnt consider them racing wheels (not lightweight and not 3 piece), but Boyd does make custom sizes, width, backspacing, and offset. After I'm done with my first two stages of mods, I will be redoing the exterior and wheels. I plan to get a set of wheels just for shows and I'm definately going to go with Boyd Coddington.

I do have a question though ... who makes lightweight 3 piece race wheels for the SVO?

Thanks!!

SVO's: 84 RESTO-MOD f/s
    a nice but a "high dollar" wheel is FIKSE i looked into the wheel but i dont need a rim like that...they're some killer potholes here in Jersey. -RICH-
    < - - - Brothers From Different Mothers

Thanks for the reply Bud!
    Am I assuming correctly that any probe wheel will work after having the centerbore punched out?
    Also I have been looking at the high offset wheels offered for late model Mustangs. Question is what is the minimum offset that would be recommended for the svo?
    P.S Do the Bullitt wheels stick out past the fender ?
    Duhhh!!!! Why dont ya put a 5.0 in that car George???

Am I assuming correctly that any probe wheel will work after having the centerbore punched out?

Right - assume would be the right word. I know of TWO Probe applications that require NO modifcations to fit the SVO. That's the extent of my knowledge. My wheels and Gary's wheels.

Also I have been looking at the high offset wheels offered for late model Mustangs. Question is what is the minimum offset that would be recommended for the svo?

I don't have a clue. I know the 40-42mm wheels that are for a Probe Application fit correctly as far as offset is concerned. I've never seen any regular late model mustang wheel that did NOT have some rubbing issues when used on an unmodified or lowered SVO.

P.S Do the Bullitt wheels stick out past the fender ?

As stated previously - ask Paul. He has first hand knowledge of the bullit wheels and what modifcations it will take for them to fit a SVO.

SVO's: 86 1C
    pegasus,

I would not recommend going any further than 30mm offset using a 17x8" rim with a 225 tire if you don't want to worry about any rubbing with stock fenders. If I were to chose a 17x8" aftermarket rim I would shoot for a 38mm offset, which would allow a 245 tire to fit w/o having to roll the rear fenders.

I found a couple of chips out of one of my rear tire's tread blocks the other day, so I will be rolling my rear fenders before the trip down to the Reunion. If you check out page two of this thread I have some info on the 96 Cobra wheels I have on my 86. They do fit, but it is tight.

As for the Bullitt rims, I believe they have the same offset as the older Cobra rims, so the answer would be no. HTH.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I just put on 4 - 17" x 8" Cobra Wheels.

Front tires are 235 - 40 - 17"

Rear tires are 245 - 40 - 17"

Does not rub at all, fast or slow.

Now I just got to get it to run right again. Raced a Camero up to the lake, won hands down, but caused massive grey smoke out of my tail pipes.

Fred

drewkeen
    if those 245/14-17s fit out back, will the wheels on my cobra, which are 245/45-17 fit on the back? this would only bee for maybe a weekend cruise around town or a trip to the track because i have nitto 555's on it and they grip well and i would like to keep cheaper tires on for day to day driving.