Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    45 series tires rubbed on back!

Thats why I went to 40 series tires.

Fred

SVO's: 86 1C
    drewkeen,

245/45's will most likely rub on big dips. You will be less likely to rub if your suspension is at stock ride height, if it is lowered then I could almost gaurantee rubbing.

FWIW, I have been running 96 Cobra rims with Yoko A520's (245/45's) for about 500 miles and have only one mark on one of the rear tires. It was a minor clip into the side of two tread blocks, but enough to get me off my butt and roll my fenders (project for this weekend).
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

drewkeen
    oh ok, so if i just put them on at the strip or something i quess i woul be alright, how hard is rolling fenders and know where theres a site that can trell me how to do it the best way?

I dunno about the fender rolling thing.

I had problems with 45 series tires rubbing so I went with 40 series tires.

I'm sure someone here knows how to roll fenders.

Good luck!

Fred

14 PSI Boost
    Very interesting thread.

My two bits: Don't forget to check rub on the struts after you fling it through a corner. Also, any rims that change the tire patch centerline and ride height are moving the suspension geometry probably for the worse. I also think that the low profile tires could reduce sidewall compliance to the point of less traction on bumpy pavement, maybe more prone to locking brakes. You don't see super low profile in F1 or Nascar.

Stock SVO wheels have a huge 5.75" backspacing in the realm of front wheel drive because of the long control arms and axle. So if I want to keep running 245/45 16" tires, I should really use an 8" wheel to get a straighter sidewall which means a 6" back space.

It seems like all the 5 lug 4.5" wheels have 4.5" backspace. Mitsubishi 300GT wheels are close but they are very heavy. If any of you wnat to run the shorter 5.0 8.8" axle and want to run the same wheels, make sure to use "hubcentric" spacers. I've heard the other style spacers can be dangerous.

You guys said 16x8" Cobra replica wheels are close. Where did you say you can get them? Also, who is MPS that sells a 16x8"?
    Or the guy that custom makes wheels?

I've heard it's easy to get extra backspace cut into a wheel but I'll be darned if I can find anyone that does it.
    Thanks

MPS= Mustang Parts Specialties
    (stangparts.com) MPS now list that wheel as a 16x7, I have also saw them list it as 16x7.5 and 16x8 and since I never measured them when I had them I dont know which is correct.
    Last edited by pegasus.v.o; 11-09-2002 at 10:59 AM.
    Duhhh!!!! Why dont ya put a 5.0 in that car George???

Originally posted by Snake_Lover
    Does anyone know if the 2000 Cobra R wheels will fit our beloved SVO's with a little work and what would it entail?
    Yes and no. The rims will fit but the center caps won't fit on the front because of the dust cap and they will stick out past the fender wells.

The cobra 17 x 9 wheel that has the best chance of fitting the SVO with stock suspension is M-1007-M179, it's the same as the normal 98 cobra wheel with more back spacing. The normal 98 cobra wheel (M-1007-R58) has 5.98" of back spacing and the M-1007-M179 has 6.42" of back spacing. Just thought i'd point that out.

However if you want the look but don't mind the 17" x 8" size then go with the M-1007-D178 it has 5.72" of back spacing, but i'm not sure with all that back spaing if you can get the centre cap on or not.

Darryl
    Last edited by svo90mustang; 11-09-2002 at 02:55 PM.
    1990 LX mustang with a 1988 Turbo Coupe drivetrain

that center cap on the 17x8 will also not fit if you try to retain the factory dustcap.

I got my 17X8 Cobra replica wheels from a GoodYear dealer in Cali. I have 235-40 front and 245-40 back and have no problem with dust covers or with rubbing. The only problem is, I'm pushing my SVO harder and faster in the turns. So I'll probably buy tires more often.

I am at work and am looking for new wheels can anyone tell me the correct centerbore size for the svo wheel?

drewkeen
    Originally posted by svo90mustang

Yes and no. The rims will fit but the center caps won't fit on the front because of the dust cap and they will stick out past the fender wells.

The cobra 17 x 9 wheel that has the best chance of fitting the SVO with stock suspension is M-1007-M179, it's the same as the normal 98 cobra wheel with more back spacing. The normal 98 cobra wheel (M-1007-R58) has 5.98" of back spacing and the M-1007-M179 has 6.42" of back spacing. Just thought i'd point that out.

However if you want the look but don't mind the 17" x 8" size then go with the M-1007-D178 it has 5.72" of back spacing, but i'm not sure with all that back spaing if you can get the centre cap on or not.

Darryl

the cobra wheel on 94-01 cobras is a 17x8, the 03 cobra wheel is a 17x9. The cobra r wheel is a 18x9

14 PSI Boost
    I am curious, if we swapped out the rear end of the SVO for the 8.8 which would be shorter than the SVO's stock 7.5 rear end. So it should at least accomodate the Cobra R rims 17x8. If doing so, what size tires would work? As much as 275 in the rear? Especially with the 1.5in drop.

Let me know.

Originally posted by svono50
    I just thought I would add some more info to Bud's orginal message. I took a wheel off and did some measuring, so here is what I came up with:

Mounting width: 7"
    Overall width: 8.125" (outer lip to outer lip)
    Backspacing: 5.75" (mounting pad to outer lip)
    Calculated offset: 1.6875" or 42.9mm

Do what you want with the info. Later.
    Is this info for the stock SVO rims??

Sorry for the dumb question but i have never owned and svo before!

Darryl
    1990 LX mustang with a 1988 Turbo Coupe drivetrain

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    yes.. those are the numbers for the stock SVO wheel
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Lincoln Mark VII

If Lincoln Mark VII have the same rotor and lower control arms, then technically, I have seen Cobra R wheels on these cars, and I am curious to know the wheels on these cars (17 X 8 or 17 x 9). I have also seen the Cobra R's (5 Lugs) on Thunderbirds Super Coupes and Explorers. I am trying to reduce the cost of adapting to SN95 hubs/brakes/shocks. I believe Lee Clary put 17 x 9 Cobra R's on his "Evolution SVO", but he had IMSA fender flares front and back.
    Any other idea.... just my .02

Chuck MCCray
    85 SVO
    Chuck MCCray
    85 SVO
    85 Buick T Type
    93 Chev Silverado Ext Cab