Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    SVO's: '86 2R
    Sigh, no sand/bead blaster here. I've honestly never needed one. The one time I did, we were doing a frame on a 2nd Gen F-body. Then, though, we took it out to the hangar where my Dad worked, and did the _very_ dirty deed there.

I may try some bike parts cleaner first. I know they aren't that expensive, it's just a very dirty/dusty job.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Gene, if you have a local powder coating shop, machine shop or wheel refinisher, they usually have a blasting cabinet...rather than an open air gun. I am sure they could do the job for you for not much $$ and a lot easier than chemically cleaning it IMHO. I am lucky enough to have a blasting cabinet at work I can 'borrow' for smaller items.

Here are a couple pics of my lower intake & turbo compressor housing and the dull aluminum paint.

Raw/Blasted lower intake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake - Lower_Stock_Bottom_01.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	46860

Painted lowers, Left = fresh, Right = ~15 years old, no paint on gasket surface:

Name:	Intake - Lower_Comparison_Painted_01.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	46861

Lower installed, no paint on gasket surface:

Name:	Intake - Install_Lower_01.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	46862

Compressor housing ~10 years old, no paint on hose clamp area:

Name:	Turbo Inlet Hose - New Setup_02.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	46863
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Neither C-100 nor Simple Green had much good effect on my test part. I ordered the low-end 'blast from a bucket' gun and glass blasting media. We'll see how that comes out. Luckily, one of the spares in my inventory includes a third intake set that's clean and port matched. I'll probably use it so I can continue to move forward with the project until the gun arrives.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1E
    I can attest to the dull aluminium paint Ted used. I also did my intake with it and like the results.
    Bruce

I have been using a product called 'RPM' - Rust Preventative Magic. It's a wax-like compound you apply to hot components. It's primarily for bare steel parts, so you can have concours-correct unpainted steel parts that don't rust, but seems to work well on all metal bits. I'm planning to coat the cleaned aluminum parts with it so I have a nearly-bare aluminum part.

I also saw a guy who uses Cerakote on his aluminum car parts with good success, too. It's kind of between paint and enamel coating in both ease of application and durability. I thought about that, but since I have the RPM, IF I can get the parts sufficiently clean, I'll go with it. The IC is already coated with it and looks great. Parts on other cars that I've coated have stood up well over the months and years.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

So I got the Eastwood 'sandblast from a bucket' kit. It's pretty much just the gun with a hose. You provide the reservoir, and, well, also the medium. I was going to go ahead and get a small cabinet, but they were sold out on all but the biggest unit, so opted for this unit to see if I could stand it.

Since I was doing aluminum, I opted for the glass beads. After about 10 minutes of work on the alternator bracket, the thing looked like it was painted silver. Honestly, it longer to put the thing together than use it!! The part is cleaned and coated. I think I'll leave it off until the intake goes back on, since it is such a pita to get to the lower bolts. I pulled the sensors out of the old manifold and will use a nice clean, port-matched intake I got from someone on this list a long time ago.

I also got all the old cooling tubes off the car. Time to wipe things down and try to figure out how they all go back on. I'll try to pull the EGR tube first, since I'd like to get it off the car.

I haven't dived into the FSM yet, so don't know for certain yet, but does anyone know if the FSM has the cooling pipe routing, just in case? Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got the upper intake bead blasted, and it looks MUCH better. I got the lower intake heated and coated, so it's done. I can bolt the sensors to it. I'll heat the upper AFTER we're done with Christmas dinner.

Oh, and no one told me how fun walking on the media is. Using glass blasting beads, and walking on the piles of the stuff is like walking on snow or west coast Florida sand, it squeaks!! Walking where there is just a dusting of the stuff is treacherous, though. VERY slippery.

Update: the upper manifold is done. Gotta paint those three blue nuts and do the zinc painting trick on the zinc coated parts.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 01-01-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

And more progress! I'm still smiling about this one: I got the lower front bumper cover and fog light mounting bracket reinstalled on the car. It really feels good to have something going ON the car for a change.

Still screwing with cooling parts in between other projects. The water hose 'T' off the water pump is quite rusty. I will try to replace it, but thinking I might as well get a new water pump while I'm in there, since it may be internally in the same shape. Just a thought at the moment.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got more quality time out in the shop to work on the SVO. Got the hole in the oil breather line soldered up. It seems to be holding well. I also tried to 'unscrew' the rusty tube on the water pump to get a cleaner replacement. Looks like my copy of water pump has a press on tube, so it looks like I'll get to replace the water pump, too.

To answer my question posed in post 201, yes, it looks like there's a pretty decent diagram of the cooling tubes in the FSM. I think it's around page 12.04.07. I'll have to get back out into the shop to verify this page, but yes, it's there.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 01-06-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Was looking at the local parts house for a water pump. They have rebuilt, or a new one that was all cast iron. I was thinking that Rock Auto frequently has NOS stuff, so went looking. Found a Motorcraft pump that in the pictures, looked like the pump on the car, that is with a pressed in steel nipple for the cooling lines to connect to. Figuring I found a winner, I ordered it.

It finally arrived. I pulled it out of the box, and it's a Chinese cast iron unit, with the nipple cast into the housing, not a steel nipple pressed into the water outlet neck.

Oh, and the 'FoMoCo' label stuck to it looked fake, too. Oval sticker, black print and no (R) or (TM) I would expect to see. Anyway, I have a new water pump, albeit it doesn't look like original one, I guess I'll use it. It is HEAVY, too. I was about to use the Esslinger pump I have on the shelf, but it doesn't have the nipple. I may still look to see if I can drill and tap the water neck so I can add the nipple. It's a nice aluminum unit. We'll see.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I went ahead and painted the cast iron pump, figuring that while I was in there, and with all the rust that came out with the thermostat/housing. I pulled the old pump off the car and ran it outside to finish draining. When I picked it up to bring it back into the shop at the end of the day, I grabbed it by the hub. As I walked it back into the shop, I could feel the pump spin a bit on the hub shaft. It was very rough, and I though I felt a couple of 'clunks' in the movement, too. Probably a good idea to replace this thing, even if it is a heavy lump.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Well, another two steps forward, one back sort of day in the shop. I figured I'd just throw the front light lenses on the car so I could see some progress. Started with the inner left light, and after I was just about to get it fitted, popped the lens apart, so had to stop and re-seal the halves together. While I waited for that to cure, I started on the inner passenger side.

I now see why that black SVO that was recently posted in the for sale section had the front lenses all misaligned. I bet they used the aftermarket header panel, and possibily aftermarket front fascia, and did not want to spend the hours needed to get them to all fit right. I spent about half a day, so far, trying to get the inner lights to fit. I now have them just about good as possible, but had to remove the lower mount on both sides, as well as bend the aligning tab on the top down and out of the way.

I may see if I can fab a 90-deg. bracket with a slot on the header panel side so I can secure the bottom part to the panel. It's going to be a tight fit, though, so still not certain I can do that.

Additionally, I thought I had a driver's side outer lens, but am having problems finding it. The search continues. The used passenger side had a significant amount of white 'caulk' like stuff all the way around the front perimeter that I had to cut off so it would fit into the opening in the front fascia. A 1/2" wood chisel was great for peeling that stuff off.

I did get the t-stat housing painted, and it looks great. I got lucky and found two flanged nuts I can use to reattach the factory intercooler bracket back on the car. Don't throw out those misc. nuts and bolts, kids, you never know when you'll need them!

Progress so far:

Name:	two lights in.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	47067
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got more shop time this week, and made some progress, even if it wasn't as much as planned. It seems that all these aftermarket parts (header panel/bumper cover/light housings) don't play well together.

INTERCOOLER BRACKET AND BUMPER JACK BASE:
    I did get the rust and old paint knocked off the IC count bracket and bumper jack base. While perusing this list to see what others use to keep the bracket from rattling on the car, I discovered that most just update the hoses and leave those pieces off. I'm good with that, since the TC Coupe IC we had on the car was mounted that way. I'll throw a coat of paint on the bracket and put it back in spares. I got a coat of gray paint on the bottom of the jack base, and will continue work on that as time allows after work this week.

FRONT LIGHTS:
    I then turned to the front lights. After trimming the headlight rings as noted in another thread on LED headlights, I got the headlights ready to go in. OMG what a PITA! It took several iterations of putting them on, pulling them off, etc. I could not get the lower adjuster screw clip installed with the headlight housing in place, so had to pull the housing, insert the screw into the socket on the housing and clip the clip in place, then start installing the housing, while tucking the seal in place and running the screws down until the headlight housings were 'close'. I need to close the hood to see how they look, and finish up the adjustment.

I'm still working on the inboard marker lights, and don't have a solution for them yet. The 90-deg bracket that holds the bottom in place had to be removed, since they weren't located correctly. At this point, I'm thinking of slotting or enlarging the hole in the header panel, and installing some nutserts in the 90-deg bracket, so I can attach the bracket to the marker light and then secure it to the header panel from behind the panel. Not sure I have access to that part of the panel, though, so the actual solution is still in the planning stages.

Anyway, here's a picture of progress as it was yesterday afternoon:

Name:	front lights.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	47086

The inner markers are just set in place for now. There's still a fair amount of work required for them. In all my years of working on cars, I've been able to kind of figure out how the car was assembled while working on it. I can't, for the life of me figure out how Ford assembled the front end of the car in any sort of decent time when the car was rolling down the assembly line. I can only figure that they assembled the entire bumper cover/header panel assembly as a unit, then attached it to the front of the car. Otherwise, there's a LOT of put together, take apart and adjust an adjacent part, reassemble, wash, rinse, repeat until the unit looks okay. What. A. Job!

THERMOSTAT HOUSING:
    I also got the t-stat housing bolted on the car. That aftermarket t-stat housing was all full of FAIL. After dealing with the OEM units, NOS, or used, I don't even consider the aftermarket units to work at all, past the bolt hole separation being the same. The orientation of the housing with respect to the bolt holes is way off. I was going to have to locate a bolt with a smaller had so I could get a socket on it with the housing in place. The little 'stands' on the replacement thermostat took some adjusting just to make it sort of fit into the housing. All of that doesn't even consider how the gasket matched the base of the housing vs. the engine.

With the NOS OEM housing I got, EVERYTHING matched up; bolts dropped in place with plenty of room for the socket, the aftermarket 180-deg thermostat dropped right in, and the gasket set on it perfectly. It is now bolted onto the engine, and ready for the hoses. I was going to do the water pump, but it was already Margarita o'clock, so opted to throw a coat of paint on the aforementioned bumper jack base and call it a day.

So all-in-all, not a bad weekend.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 04-13-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Persevering as time allows, on the SVO. Since I'm on call this week, I go out and do little things at a time. It seems, though, that NOTHING on this car can be done 'right quick'! Went to go throw the water pump back on, and after cleaning the old silicone adhesive out of the end of the tube and the plastic tip, it seems I still had a chunk of set adhesive that got into the tip, and promptly plugged it. So, while I wait for that to set, again, so I can clean it out, again, I went on to other things.

I had a quick look at the remains of the original front header panel to see how the inboard parking light was secured to it. It's two molded-in plastic flanges that were replaced with bent aluminum on the remanufactured unit. I'm thinking about getting some riv-nuts to attach to the aluminum angle pieces, then slotting the header panel some, so I have some adjustment there. Gotta order the riv-nuts and tools for that little project, though.

Then I went to bolt the turbo intake flange back on the turbo. After chasing one bolt, and the gasket, I finally got it bolted up and the flex hose secured to it..... for now.

A while ago, I got a really nice, polished valve cover from a member, and was planning to use it to replace the cover we have on our car, since it's nice and clean and polished. Well, I figured I'd start putting the new gasket on it and get that process started, since it's holding up all the other work in the engine bay. When I pulled it out, and compared it to the one on the car however, I noticed that the breather hole at the back of the pretty cover is 1/4"-3/8" in diameter, which will never be able to fit the breather we have on our 86. I'm thinking this cover is either a 84, or TC unit, but don't know for sure.

Any idea if it's usable, and if so, what mods would I need to do to make it useable? Otherwise, it'll go in the pile of stuff to sell off, and I'll pull and clean what I have.

We have some pretty bad storms in the area, so I closed up shop early today.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    84's had the a nipple sticking out. if it's got the bigger hole, it's likely a merkur, if I remember right, or the later t-bird.

no reason you can't use it, you just need the larger breather... looks like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot from 2020-04-19 19-24-29.png  
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster