Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    SVO's: '86 2R
    Sigh, no sand/bead blaster here. I've honestly never needed one. The one time I did, we were doing a frame on a 2nd Gen F-body. Then, though, we took it out to the hangar where my Dad worked, and did the _very_ dirty deed there.

I may try some bike parts cleaner first. I know they aren't that expensive, it's just a very dirty/dusty job.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Gene, if you have a local powder coating shop, machine shop or wheel refinisher, they usually have a blasting cabinet...rather than an open air gun. I am sure they could do the job for you for not much $$ and a lot easier than chemically cleaning it IMHO. I am lucky enough to have a blasting cabinet at work I can 'borrow' for smaller items.

Here are a couple pics of my lower intake & turbo compressor housing and the dull aluminum paint.

Raw/Blasted lower intake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake - Lower_Stock_Bottom_01.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	46860

Painted lowers, Left = fresh, Right = ~15 years old, no paint on gasket surface:

Name:	Intake - Lower_Comparison_Painted_01.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	46861

Lower installed, no paint on gasket surface:

Name:	Intake - Install_Lower_01.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	46862

Compressor housing ~10 years old, no paint on hose clamp area:

Name:	Turbo Inlet Hose - New Setup_02.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	46863
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Neither C-100 nor Simple Green had much good effect on my test part. I ordered the low-end 'blast from a bucket' gun and glass blasting media. We'll see how that comes out. Luckily, one of the spares in my inventory includes a third intake set that's clean and port matched. I'll probably use it so I can continue to move forward with the project until the gun arrives.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1E
    I can attest to the dull aluminium paint Ted used. I also did my intake with it and like the results.
    Bruce

I have been using a product called 'RPM' - Rust Preventative Magic. It's a wax-like compound you apply to hot components. It's primarily for bare steel parts, so you can have concours-correct unpainted steel parts that don't rust, but seems to work well on all metal bits. I'm planning to coat the cleaned aluminum parts with it so I have a nearly-bare aluminum part.

I also saw a guy who uses Cerakote on his aluminum car parts with good success, too. It's kind of between paint and enamel coating in both ease of application and durability. I thought about that, but since I have the RPM, IF I can get the parts sufficiently clean, I'll go with it. The IC is already coated with it and looks great. Parts on other cars that I've coated have stood up well over the months and years.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas