Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Ooohh, vapor blasting...just saw that on Project Binky where they did that to the tranny case. The thing came out like a brand new casting, crazy cool stuff. Good luck on whatever method you get figured out and don't forget to post up the results for our viewing pleasure!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Ooohh, vapor blasting...just saw that on Project Binky where they did that to the tranny case. The thing came out like a brand new casting, crazy cool stuff. Good luck on whatever method you get figured out and don't forget to post up the results for our viewing pleasure!
    I'll do that. The glass media I've been using does a very nice job, but seemed to have a hard time knocking this stuff off. The media I had did seem a bit damp and caked, so it may not have been moving that much media. We'll see when I get more time to get dirty again.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Success! I was able to get those pins out with the Dremel and Vise-Grips. The 'threads' on those things are straight, parallel with the pin shaft. More like tiny little fluted barrels. When I got a real good grip on the pin, I was able to rock it back and forth while pulling up on it, and they came out. Oddly, the one that was wet with oil was the hardest to pull.

Now on to drilling and tapping the holes for bolts.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I guess the twisted spiral flutes are for softer materials, like plastics, at least that is what I have used on products. I am guessing the oil soaked one was more 'sealed' and created a vacuum as you pulled it out...or that casting core pin was a little more worn and the hole was slightly smaller. Glad to hear you got them out, drilling/tapping should be pretty easy. Now just don't drill through the top of the cover...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Got the pin holes drilled and tapped for a #12-24 bolt. Now, I just need to get some #12-24 bolts.

I also got the hole drilled for the grommet. I used a 22mm bimetal hole saw, and with the help of my co-driver, we clamped the cover to the drill press and slowly cut it through. I then dressed the back side up with a die grinder and chamfered and opened the hole up a bit with a 120 grit sanding stick. The oil separator is a bit tight, but I figure that's better than loose.

I used the 22 mm hole saw because the cutting teeth sit a bit outside of the hole saw 'body', so a 1" hole saw would actually create a ~1-1/16 +/- hole, which is way too big. The 22mm bit cuts about a 23mm +/-, which is just about right with some cleanup and finishing.

With the bolts, I can _finally_ start putting things back together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve cover cut for grommet underside.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	47193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve cover cut for grommet.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	47194
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    that lookd really nice!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Nice work Gene and thanx for the pics!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

We have yet another project in the shop that may take up some time and materials, but I really want to get this thing back together sooner to get the old gas out of the tank. Need to coat the polished aluminum so it doesn’t spot/tarnish.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got the pin holes drilled and tapped for bolts to secure the baffle. If you do this, actually if you do any drilling and tapping for any small bolts do NOT use #12-28!! That is a unicorn size/thread. I wanted to cut as little metal away as possible, but wanted to use a fine thread, so that was the one I chose, even though I had no bolts of that size in stock. I located that size from the 'gun bolt' box at a local hardware store. I still have to cut them down, since they were a bit long, but so far, this is what I'm sticking with.

I still have to drill out the baffle plate, since one of the pin holes got a bit messed up, but that 'should' be a quick fix. I'll be using Permatex red thread locker when I assemble the valve cover.

Hopefully, I can get to that this weekend, but we're expecting a hurricane in the neighborhood then, so we'll see how much shop time I get.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Scene 42, take 67. Aaannndddd Action!

The scene opens on a sunny, yet breezy day in the swamp. Nice northerly breeze blows courtesy of TS Cristobol. Luckily, the forecasted rain showers from said storm didn't materialize.

The atmosphere in the shop, however, was much more stormy. There was much cursing and throwing of tools. The stench of recently exploded F-bombs filled the air. Seems the accompanying 12-28 die to go with the 12-28 tap used to create the threaded holes for those unicorn bolts purchased just a week ago is nowhere to be found.

Luckily, our our hapless protagonist had also purchased a couple of 1/4-28 bolts, and then verified that there were both the tap AND the die in the set available to cut the threads, and cut and dress the bolts, if necessary. So on to Plan B, or is it Plan X by now?!?

After drilling and tapping the new, 1/4" holes, and getting an idea of the length of bolt necessary, cutting them shorter and cleaning up the cut (as well as burning up one hacksaw blade in the process ), we were able to bolt everything back together. A drop of Threadlocker was added to each bolt in an effort to keep the bolts in place once the car is back on the ground. Safety wire would have been a better choice, but that would involve another month of getting the safety wire jig, and breaking the appropriate number of drill bits trying to get the two bolts drilled. The car will be a limited-use car, with us, anyhow, so fingers crossed the bolts hold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear baffle bolted down.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	47226

Calling this one finally beat completely to death. Pending any unforeseen issues, we'll be installing the cover this next weekend.

AAaaannnnnndddddd cut!

That's a wrap, folks!!
    Last edited by gbeaird; 06-08-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Nice work Gene and glad to hear you ended on a good note with that one!

Personally, I have finally rid all of the products I support here at work of any #12 size screws and moved to either #10 or 1/4" since, as you noted, #12's are unicorns and should be avoided at all costs.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Ted, I didn't know the current status of #12's, or I would have, too. I was simply trying to remove as little material as possible, in case something fscked up. I know now, and while I have a real aversion to throwing tools out, I may paint the #12 taps and dies I have (still have the course thread) red, or something to make them stand out. That, or I'll sub other sized in the tap and die box and put the #12's in a bag, making it less of a chance they get used.

The two bolts I did find were like $2/ea, which, while I thought was pretty steep, I felt I needed at the time. Sadly, wasting my time shopping around and searching for those two dammed bolts made me miss the launch of the Falcon 9 mission that I really wanted to watch.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Progress!! While the generator was running, trying to charge the house batteries on the other project, I managed to get the new-to-me valve cover installed. I went with the Fel-Pro rubber gasket. I think I pulled a rubber Mahle off, but this one was available. Bolted down. I'll go double-check the bolt torque after it sits overnight. I need to pull one bolt when I get to the cooling tube install, but that should be a quick thing.

While I am at it, since we have this nice, pretty, polished valve cover on, it would be a shame to rub all that polishing with the plug wires. Does anyone have an elegant way to prop the plug wires off the valve cover? Two of the valve cover bolts have extensions on them for something, but we had no plug wire looms when we got the car. What's everyone done?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New valve cover.jpg  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Since we're still waiting for our electrician to come add a 50 amp circuit to our shop, the other project's projects have been shelved, somewhat. I took the time yesterday to get started on running the cooling pipes and figuring out which hose goes where and see if/what else I need. Since I went with some silicone hoses, I discovered that the full-circle clamps I got for them are too small. It seems the wall thickness on silicone hoses is about 2X that of regular rubber hoses. I also discovered I need a 120-deg hose off the thermostat housing, so will be ordering that, too. I can use a 90-deg hose, but I think a 120-deg unit will stress the system less.

It also looks like the outlets on the heater core are two different sizes. The cooling lines, are only one size, though, that's 5/8". Not sure what I'm going to do there, as I'm not sure I can just screw the clamp down on the 3/4" hose so it seals properly against the 5/8" tube. Anyone with the Forced-4 cooling tube set experience this mismatch?

That, and coating the tubes with RPM (I know they're stainless, but wanted to make sure they were protected) took up most of the afternoon's activities.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 9L SVO
    Gene,
    They do make a 3/4 to 5/8 reduction silicone 90 degree elbow. I just ordered one for my car from ebay.

Regards,
    Harry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samco-Sport...wAAOSwZrRe-DjQ