Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Gene, for the fan shroud try some Zip-Strip paint stripper, the stuff in the yellow can (see below). I used that to remove the clear coat paint that was on everything in my engine compartment when I bought my SVO. The stuff didn't harm any of the hard plastic or rubber parts and bubbled the clear off the surfaces easily. I remember using it on my fan shroud and it looks like new, even today. I would test a small area on the inside or bottom surface of the shroud where you can't see it, just to confirm, but I like the fact that it is a gel and you can dab or brush it on. Good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zip-Strip.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	45877
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Thanks, Ted. The paint stripper seems to have done the job. Those shrouds seem pretty bullet-proof, since the paint stripper and this Zip-Strip stuff didn't harm them!

After everything dried, it looked a TON better. Just finishing up paint now, so hopefully I can put the assembly back together tomorrow.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Well, progress wasn't as much as I had hoped, but I did have some progress. I pulled two fans apart, cleaned and repainted parts, and put together one good, and one not quite as good assembly. Here is the good one:

Name:	referbed fan 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	45879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	referbed fan 1.jpg 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	45880

The fan itself was a mess on the back side. That took most of the work. I cleaned the mounting brackets, and coated the lower two (they were rusty and required some quality time with a bench grinder and wire brush) with the Eastwood faux cadmium coating. They didn't turn out as good as the brake booster on our 68 Cadillac, but since they're on the bottom of the fan, they should be good enough.

Tiny steps, tiny, steps......
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Progress!! My bride recommended we spend some of the 3-day weekend getting the front end cleaned up (I'm sure she was just getting tired of me saying I was going to do it). Anyway, Friday afternoon, I drained the radiator. We had errands to run on Saturday so didn't get much done then except get the old radiator ready to pull.

Sunday, we pulled the car out of the shop, got it up on jack stands, pulled the radiator out and hosed the core support and surrounding areas down with Gunk.

Name:	SVO engine bay cleaning.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	46094

Sorry for the lean, not sure how to edit pictures uploaded.

Anyway, after much scrubbing and washing, we got it pretty clean:

Name:	Core support clean.jpg 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	46095

We wasted a BUNCH of time scrubbing that dark stuff, until I put one of our big LEDs on it, and figured we were scrubbing to the primer. =8-0

Anyway, once it sat and dried a bit, I pitched the old radiator back in for it's ride back into the shop. This afternoon, I pulled the radiator back out, and touched up the core support top and bottom. I'm sure most of that will disappear under the bumper cover mounting bracket and new radiator, but wanted to get the bare metal covered some to slow the rust down.

Name:	Core support after touch-up.jpg 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	46096

Looking spiffy, IMHO. :-)

Next week, I'll get the head set gasket set ordered, as well as a water pump gasket, and probably try to find a thermostat housing, in case what I have crumbles into a rusty pile when I try to replace the cooling lines. I'm figuring that most of the top end has to come off to get to all the metal lines, so figure I'll pull the IC and intake, and while I'm there, install the Bob's 40-Ford ported intake I got from him so many years ago, as well as the really nicely-finished valve cover I got, and on the other side, install my Rob's header.

That all probably won't happen until later this year, since the shop is now getting almost too hot to work in. Don't want to sweat all over the new parts!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    looking good Gene! Your core support looks better than the paint on my car
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

It did turn out nice. I was concerned that my painting angle and distance were going to mess things up. Additionally, the paint looked very thin going on. Since it went on to horizontal surfaces, it leveled out very nicely, and covered the black and gray paint well. I'm happy.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

The Bell IC core arrived yesterday. Very-well packed! I also ordered the following:
    FelPro 35114T - T-stat gasket
    FelPro ES72811 - Turbo gasket set
    SCE 4023 - SCE Pro Copper Embossed Exhaust Gasket
    Mahle MS15582W - Intake gasket set
    Mahle VS39751 - Valve cover gasket

The FelPro stuff is already here. It seems the Mahle tuff has to be drop-shipped from the manufacturer. :-/

Name:	Bell IC Core.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	46114
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

A little progress. Got some quality time out in the shop over the weekend. The plan was to drop the radiator in, but as I was getting things ready, I discovered a big buildup of caked oil and dirt on the A/C lines going to the condenser and their support bracket. The stuff was like plastic, and I had to use a plastic pry bar and even a screw driver blade to clean things up. But I did get that done, and that part back in.

Then, had issues with the wiring harness that goes between the evaporator and radiator. When clipped securely to the plastic mounting tabs, the harness and conduit got in the way of the radiator, preventing it from getting close enough to the core support to be able to bolt the upper support brackets in place.

In order to make everything coexist, I had to cut the zip ties I was using (using black zip ties instead of the black fabric tape Ford used), put a bit of a 'sag' in the harness so that it would slip below the condenser mount, making an extra ~3/4" of space between the condenser and radiator. That seemed to have done the job.

While fitting everything, I ended up scratching the paint on the top of the core support, so had to touch that up and then let it dry. So while I did get the radiator IN the car, it's not completely-secured. That'll happen next weekend.

Name:	New radiator in.jpg 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	46115
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got out in the shop to get some things done last weekend. I got the radiator completely secured. I have been pulling parts that I've collected over the years off the shelves and checking them over. Many years ago, I got one of Bob's ported intakes, and got that out of storage. I noticed that there was still a water line nipple on the lower manifold, and it had a bit of rust on it. So, I decided to remove it so I could clean it up, or maybe even replace it with something aluminum.

I quickly-discovered why it was still there. It was kind of stuck. So I sprayed it with some spray lube, and started working on it with a socket and long pull handle. It started to break loose, then this happened:

Name:	lower intake manifold.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	46131

I did manage to get it out without much more damage. Luckily, I've already found a guy who can weld that crack up for me, so hopefully I can save it. Two steps forward, one step back. :-/
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    UGH.. that stinks! Glad you have welder friends
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    I agree with Eric, that sucks...but at least it is fixable, nothing too difficult for a seasoned welder to handle. My guess is that nipple was cranked in their too much to begin with, since the cooling system is limited to its pressure and those NPT fittings don't need mammoth torque with the right kind of sealant.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I'm betting that electrolysis got to it. Two different metals with some water-added will certainly do that. Either way, yeah, it didn't want to come out.

I was actually trying to pull it to see if one of my Russell aluminum pieces would fit. I'll have to order more parts. :-)
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got a few moments out in the shop this afternoon after we hooked the trailer up for tomorrow's autocross event, and located my Plexus plastic cleaner and polish. It seems little more than ammonia and some soap, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Here's the before:

Name:	Engnie bay splash shield before.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	46151

and here's after:

Name:	Engine bay splash shield after.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	46150

I tried very hard to make sure the lighting and angles were pretty consistent between the two pictures, and I think I succeeded. The spots are still there, but a LOT of the film and staining are gone. Most notable were the spots where the panel tabs are bent and pinned to the core support. There was some rust still there from the cleaning, and now that staining is pretty much gone. The rust and staining where the panels are worn is still there, and I suspect I'll have to live with that, but those ends are down in the deep dark corners of the engine bay, so that staining may just go unnoticed.

Time for a 'Rita!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got the manifold back tonight. Looks awesome! It looks like he didn’t mess the threads up much, if at all. I’ Still clean things up, but so far, so good.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Since this is the restomod thread for the car, I thought I'd add bits about my IC R&R sub-project. I'm planning to replace the OEM IC core with the Bell P/N A350090060 shown above in post 172. I got some quality time out in the shop last weekend, and got the IC pulled apart:

Name:	Old IC old core removed.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	46172

It looks like there's a 'lip' on the old core that sets in a slot on the upper and lower gasket. I'll have to see how the new core fits after cleaning things up. Some have mentioned that I'll need to trim the inner edge of the gasket on the inside of that slot for things to fit. I'll see how the new core settles into the housing before trimming, since I'd like to be able to back the change out if necessary.

Note that there are a couple of orange seals that seem to be glued to the TB side of the core. It looks like pressure from the turbo bellows these inserts out between the IC housing and the core under boost, preventing leakage around the core. I'll need to remove these inserts and attach them to the new core.

Updates as they occur. Time to clean!
    Last edited by gbeaird; 07-18-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas