Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Ooohh, vapor blasting...just saw that on Project Binky where they did that to the tranny case. The thing came out like a brand new casting, crazy cool stuff. Good luck on whatever method you get figured out and don't forget to post up the results for our viewing pleasure!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Ooohh, vapor blasting...just saw that on Project Binky where they did that to the tranny case. The thing came out like a brand new casting, crazy cool stuff. Good luck on whatever method you get figured out and don't forget to post up the results for our viewing pleasure!
    I'll do that. The glass media I've been using does a very nice job, but seemed to have a hard time knocking this stuff off. The media I had did seem a bit damp and caked, so it may not have been moving that much media. We'll see when I get more time to get dirty again.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Success! I was able to get those pins out with the Dremel and Vise-Grips. The 'threads' on those things are straight, parallel with the pin shaft. More like tiny little fluted barrels. When I got a real good grip on the pin, I was able to rock it back and forth while pulling up on it, and they came out. Oddly, the one that was wet with oil was the hardest to pull.

Now on to drilling and tapping the holes for bolts.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    I guess the twisted spiral flutes are for softer materials, like plastics, at least that is what I have used on products. I am guessing the oil soaked one was more 'sealed' and created a vacuum as you pulled it out...or that casting core pin was a little more worn and the hole was slightly smaller. Glad to hear you got them out, drilling/tapping should be pretty easy. Now just don't drill through the top of the cover...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Got the pin holes drilled and tapped for a #12-24 bolt. Now, I just need to get some #12-24 bolts.

I also got the hole drilled for the grommet. I used a 22mm bimetal hole saw, and with the help of my co-driver, we clamped the cover to the drill press and slowly cut it through. I then dressed the back side up with a die grinder and chamfered and opened the hole up a bit with a 120 grit sanding stick. The oil separator is a bit tight, but I figure that's better than loose.

I used the 22 mm hole saw because the cutting teeth sit a bit outside of the hole saw 'body', so a 1" hole saw would actually create a ~1-1/16 +/- hole, which is way too big. The 22mm bit cuts about a 23mm +/-, which is just about right with some cleanup and finishing.

With the bolts, I can _finally_ start putting things back together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve cover cut for grommet underside.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	47193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve cover cut for grommet.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	47194
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas