Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    SVO's: '86 2R
    Thanks, Harry. Yep, I ordered a couple of 90's and 180's, as well as the couplers to go between the hoses. Hopefull that stuff hits the door by Friday.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Still trying to puzzle together the cooling tube/hoses on our 86. I also finally got to removing the turbo return line. Nice very dark, green cr@p spilled out. At least it's now out, and I can start putting stuff back together. The fitting on the block looks to have a bit of rust sediment in it. I may chase it with a drill bit some to see if I can clean it out a bit, but I'm not pulling the fitting until/unless we yank the engine.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 84 1C, 86 2A, 16 GT
    Hi Gene, if you have the two turbo coolant lines off. Could you take a picture of them, I am attempting to replicate a set for my 86.

Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kens svo View Post
    Hi Gene, if you have the two turbo coolant lines off. Could you take a picture of them, I am attempting to replicate a set for my 86.

Thanks,
    Ken
    I can do that, Ken. It may not be until the weekend, but I can certainly do that. The lower one is pretty straightforward. The upper one really needs to be almost perfect, since it's a flare fitting in the turbo, and meets up to the tee on the line going down the side of the head.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

What a waste of a day! I spent all day sweating in a 95 degree shop trying to figure out how to get the 3/4" heater hose to coolant line figured out to no avail! The Forced4D stainless cooling lines are all 5/8" dia. The heater core outlet closest to the center line of the car is 3/4". I'm not finding a good way to get the two connected with reducers and make all the angles (the old hose that I had to CUT off the heater core outlet actually looped around the other heater hose) and still fit behind the IC. I am about to the point of running a big freaking loop of heater hose around the IC and back again!

Additional note: The cooling line that goes to the inlet of the oil cooler goes UNDER the EGR tube! The return line goes OVER the damned thing. The EGR tube on our car seems bent so that there's no room to get under it on the driver's side of the back of the head with the oil cooler inlet tube!

On the plus side, I did get the turbo coolant return line installed. I only hope I got the clamps tight enough. While under the car, with my hand between the inner unibody and the engine, I discovered TWO 'fish hooks' of welding wire from the wonderful welding job the Ford robot did welding the K-member mounting brackets to the unibody! Go Ford Kwality!! Luckily, I discovered them with my work glove and not the back of my hand.

All that said, Ken, here are some pictures of the turbo cooling lines:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo cooling line 3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	337.7 KB 
ID:	47265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo cooling line 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	47266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo cooling line 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	47267

- - - Updated - - -

And a few more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turbo cooling line 5.jpg   turbo cooling line 4.jpg  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Gene, the horse shoe shaped hose is the transition to the 3/4" heater core. It is 3/4 on one end and 5/8" on the other.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Mike, do you mean the Gates 18701? I have that one on order, again, but the online descriptions of that hose all state it's 5/8" at each end. I'm kind of wondering if Dayco 87629 may be a better fit? Online lookups indicate it's kind of u-shaped, and 3/4" X 5/8". The Gates hoses should be here in the next couple of days, so I can verify.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Gene, I don't recall the part number, but it is the one Forced 4 used to sell.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

I reviewed the thread regarding the tubing sale, and found no part numbers listed for the hoses. I did get a few minutes in the shop and had a look at my latest hose acquisition. Gates 19695 is the correct orientation, in fact, you could cut the tube it goes on back to the straight piece that goes down the side of the valve cover, and use the whole hose, but it's not dual-ended. It's 3/4", not 3/4" to 5/8"! The u-shaped hose I was looking at, Gates/Dayco 18701, is 5/8" at each end.

I've ordered both a steel heater hose reducer and a rubber reducer sleeve. Hoping one or the other will work best. Sadly, nothing seems available in stainless.

On the plus side, we've scheduled work tomorrow on the motorhome, so probably not a lot will get done on the SVO.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

The steel reducer tube and the rubber sleeve arrived last week, so more parts arrived. We finally had some success out in the shop this weekend. I got the brakes fixed on the bus, and got the fan and lower radiator support bolted back on the SVO. I spent an inordinant amount of time looking for bolts that fit the j-nuts for the lower radiator support. There seemed to be a thread mismatch, but after running a 6mmX1.0 tap through each, the bolts threaded in just fine. Then I discovered the bolts needed were actually sheet metal screws, for the lower radiator hose support. I already had the j-nuts and bolts attached to the fan mounts, so those were a cinch. Anyway, I finally got all that bolted back together.

Since I had time, I looked at the tubing situation more, and think I'll be using the rubber sleeve, since I won't have to use up more hose clamps and cut up the hoses more. I'm having issues with the hose clamps. I got some 'full circle' type clamps to use on the silicone hoses, and it seems I got one set that fits the extra-thick silicone hoses well, but have been unable to duplicate more inventory. It seems I can either get something that just wont go on over the hoses, or I can get something that ends up with like 2" of clamp end sticking out ready to cut you up next time you reach into the engine compartment.

Another attempt at ordering more clamps was made on Sunday. Waiting for the Big Brown Truck(TM) to run over my next delivery. Sooooo, back to working on the bus.......
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas