Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    SVO's: '86 2R
    The interior panels are pretty resilient! I started with compressed air, and got a fair amount of the loose paint off. It seems that where it didn't stick, it didn't stick at all. Where it did, it's one with the panel. I proceeded to using a stainless steel parts cleaning brush, but was afraid I'd scratch the plastic if I went too hard on the pressure. Tape was good, too, but kind of a waste of tape, IMO. I also tried glass beads in my media blaster, with the nozzle held about a foot away from the panel. I wasn't seeing a lot of progress from it, and it left a 'haze' of dust on the panel.

I then tried brake cleaner. It did okay, but seemed to get only the stuff that was already loose up. I progressed to an electrical circuit cleaner, which did nothing, probably because it dried too fast, then on to carburetor cleaner. It contained toluene and acetone, and really did the job, expecially along the edge of the panel, where the paint seemed to stick the best. I think I have most of it off, and since I have the panel already washed in acetone, think I'll have another go at repainting the panel.

Fingers crossed.....
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got a couple of fresh coats of paint on the interior hatch panel yesterday. Hopefully, it sticks this time.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

So far, the paint seems to have actually stuck this time. We made some progress in the hatch area, replacing the jack and tie-down nut assembly back under the deck. I DO have to find the lug wrench, though. Can't remember what box it's in. We rearranged the back panels so they align a bit better, and even wrestled the two long screws that hold the back panels on either side of the latch into place. Man, what a chore! I started the day wanting to work on the interior hatch panel, and after finding the fasteners, discovered that I'm missing the two mounts for the two screws closest to the latch. They're on the OEM hatch, but the fiberglass hatch interior is designed a bit differently than the OEM, so I'm nervous about pulling them and trying to fit them on the 'glass hatch, with the hatch on the car. No effing way am I removing that again!

I'm going to try to install the hatch strut pivot balls into the hatch. There's no matal behind the mounting boss, so am concerned they may not hold up to the strain. I'm ONLY going to use them to set the old struts on to hold the hatch open for work, and shows. No way would I ever believe they will be strong enough to actually close the hatch with the struts in place. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to come up with another solution utilizing the latch. I'm currently propping things up with an adjustable broom handle, but it's in no way secure enough to trust it unsupervised.

Using Ted's recommendation in his project thread, I replaced the hatch striker bushing. Like him, I had to 'space' the stud some with some electrical wrap tape (didn't have anything else in the shop), and it seems to work okay. Time will tell. I even replaced the license plate lights with LED. The factory sockets show evidence of getting quite hot over the years, so these LEDs should help keep temps down back there.

We even got some bus and home projects done, so it's been a good vacation, so far. We didn't go to the first regional autocross of the season, even though the weather was awesome. Still too risky for us to mingle.....
    Last edited by gbeaird; 01-03-2021 at 06:13 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

We pulled the original hatch out of storage and laid it on some sawhorses to look at the area the interior panel goes. After measuring things, and looking at the OEM panel, and the mounting tabs on the hatch, it appears the mounting tabs weren't installed in the correct position when the thing was bult. There is an extra set of holes in the panel to match those on the mounting tabs.

Gonna have to sit back and try to figure out how to get the tabs mounted so we can use the factory holes in the panel.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got the inside hatch panel installed! Using paint to mark the spot to mount the screw tabs works great. Reusing the old push pins along the top of the panel to help with alignment, I screwed the two tabs to the panel, painted the mounting surface, set the panel in place, and used an awl to help pull the bottom of the panel so the tabs touched the hatch. Pulled everything apart, drilled holes, attached tabs, and then successfully-mounted the panel. It looks factory in there.

I also added the prop rod mounts to the inside of the hatch, but after drilling and tapping the hatch for the mounts, screwing them in place and trying the prop rods, there was a lot of fiberglass cracking sounds to be heard while we let the weight of the hatch rest on them. The prop rods had to come out, and some new solution for propping the hatch when we need it open will have to be determined.

Anyone have any cool ideas?

Anyway, here are pictures of the results:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hatch interior 1.jpg   hatch interior 2.jpg  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas