Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    SVO's: '86 2R
    Ted, I'm pretty sure mine had the flange in the slot in the seal, and the screws went through the part of the seal that covered that flange from below, then the flange, then the hood, somehow. A pictue might help, though. Thank you.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    No problem Gene. See pics below...also just realized I am missing a screw...uugghh! The black doesn't make it easy to see very clearly, but hope it makes sense, as you can see a little squish out of the seal from under the ring on the top screw in the first pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hood Seal - Assy_01.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	47342 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hood Seal - Assy_02.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	47343
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

That helps a lot, Ted! I think there is a flap that goes around the cutout on the hood, and the frame bolts on from below that. I'll have to get back out into the shop to verify, but that brings new understanding on how it all fits together. Still not sure if I'll use the frame right off, or see how stable the seal I have without it. I'll certainly bag it and keep the frame in my spares box. Thanks.

Check the right rear tire for that missing screw!!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Got some more SVO time in the shop today, and had a decent bit of success. After endless hours of cutting and fitting and modifying, I finally got the inner marker lights installed. It took a LOT of work, and even now, they're not perfect, but dang close. I guess the combination of reproduction parts **3 really bit me here. The light lenses, header panel and bumper cover conspired against me, but I perservered. Here are the results:

Name:	Lights in and lights on.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	47345

I had to drill out the rivets holding the lower mounts out to remove them. I then modded them by trimming the excess length and installing a 10/24 rivnut on the light side. I used OEM nut clips and a couple of screws to mount the bracket back on the header panel.

For the upper mount, since I couldn't easily get to the mounting tab, I bent it down over the header panel and drilled and installed another 10/24 rivnut on each side. After some quality time with my Dremel on the existing mounting tabs on the lenses themselves, I got things bolted together. Happy that chore is now crossed off my list. I'm sure I'll need to do some more adjusting on the headlights once I get it back on the ground, but we're good now.

I got some replacement alternator belts and installed them. I started cleaning the wiring to the alternator, and the terminal boots. Looks like the battery terminal has been warm, and the boot for it is misshapen and cracked. I'd like to replace it, if that's possible. Does anyone know of any replacements for just the battery terminal? The search capability on the well-known aftermarket Mustang parts vendors is really lacking, and I'm not having a lot of luck with a general online search (WTF do you enter 'Mustang' in your search parameters and the third hit is 'terminal for GM alternator'?!?) Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1E
    Are you talking about the positive cable red plastic cover? If so I bought a new cable a while back and it came with the plastic insulator on it. Unfortunately for you I tossed my old one.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Are you talking about the positive cable red plastic cover? If so I bought a new cable a while back and it came with the plastic insulator on it. Unfortunately for you I tossed my old one.
    I think it's red. It's pretty miss-shaped and dirty. Because of the deformation, I didn't bother to clean it, but would assume it's red. It's the one that goes on the battery stud on the alternator.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1E
    I was thinking of the terminal on the battery.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I was thinking of the terminal on the battery.
    I'm currently working on reconnecting the alternator. The other two terminals look okay, although discolored a bit, they did clean up. It's the cover for the battery terminal on the alternator that needs replacing. I was hoping a replacement would be easy to find, it would certainly be easy to replace, since I bet I an simply tug on the cover and it'll fall apart.

That whole harness plugs into a socket near the driver's side strut tower. Is there a trick to unplugging it? I've tried, and about all I'm being successful at is breaking plastic.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Gene, you should be able to find a cover for terminal, it likely won't be like the stock one. I replaced mine when I upgraded to the Pat-In-LA cable that I won in a raffle many moons ago. I will dig through my records to see where I got it. You can maybe check Ron Francis or possibly PA Performance for one??

The connector has likely been overheated a bit and can become very brittle, so be careful. I was lucky to still have mine pull apart OK and still use it for the Field and Stator leads. Here are a couple reference pics of mine:

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Pat in LA Harness_Alternator.jpg 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	47349 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Stock Harness_Female Plug_01.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	47350 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Wiring - Stock Harness_Male Plug_02.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	47351
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

That looks crispy, Ted! =8-0 I'm afraid mine might look like that inside the connector, which may be preventing me getting it apart. I'll not try to force it any more, because I'd like to have it still function.

Thanks for the pointers. Neither web site seems to show anything specific, but I'll contact them to see what they have.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

It was crispy! I may have picked up the cable cover on the alternator from Columbine Automotive Products: http://www.columbineconnectors.com/. I know I ordered some weatherpack connectors from there, they have a pretty good selection of stuff and good prices.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Aircraft Spruce has what looks like 4 different sized boots, and I've ordered two sizes to see which one will fit the best. They're silicone, so hopefully I can get them to stretch over the ring eye. I'd like to not have to cut it off and install a new one of these. Shipping cost more than the units themselves. Should be here mid-week.

I queried Ron Francis about the boots, and they show a black one in stock. It looks about right, but is black. We'll see what the AS units look like before turning to RF. Or, maybe I'll just live with it. This project has had a LOT of scope creep, with several 'while I'm theres' getting in the way of turning the key.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas