Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    SVO's: '86 2R
    Yeah, I know. Pics, or it didn't happen. Maybe tonight, not sure. I did take pictures, and the CF card is full, so I guess I _do_ need to clean it out.

Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock (Finally home),
    Pearland, Texas

Here is the carpet laid in, and the console laid on top. No bolts, no screws, no glue. Man it it tough getting 5 MB files down to 246 K.

Enjoy.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails interior with carpet 2.jpg  

Oh yeah, while I was out in the shop working on the car, it appears this sumbisch was circling our property taking pictures. Not sure if it was of our property, or neighbors, but I wonder how he would have felt if I had peered back at him down the scope on my SKS? You can rest assured the GP100 is a lot closer to me when I'm home now.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chopper 1.jpg  

More progress has been made. Getting the carpet trimmed and laid down. I put the inner quarter panels in and am working on buttoning them in. Question: Does the rear hatch area (spare tire cover) carpet go under or over the quarter panels? Because we autocrossed the car and pulled the spare tire out each time we ran it, the carpet back there always just lay there on top of the panels. Just wanting to know what's factory. Thanks.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Question: Does the rear hatch area (spare tire cover) carpet go under or over the quarter panels?
    Over.

Bueno. Thank you.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

Got a chance to work on the SVO yesterday. Got the holes drilled out on the deck for the lower spoiler and epoxied the broken studs back onto the lower spoiler. Since I had fixed these things once before and they broke off, I'm thinking of wrapping them in fiberglass and resin. I'm hoping that will provide some additional support without adding a lot of weight. Has anyone tried this, and can attest that it will work, or is the resin too 'hot' for the plastic the lower spoiler is made of?

Thanks.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearlad, Texas

Got to spend a little more quality time with the SVO today. Not much, but better than the none that it has been lately. I reinstalled the freshly-painted hatch strut mounts on the body and thought I'd install the new dew wipes I got so many years ago. Well, I pulled them out of their wrapping, and the metal part doesn't seem to match the curve of the top of the door well. I pulled the old ones and had a look. Yep, they match much better. Soo, remembering some comments regarding dew wipes on this list, I pulled the old dew wipes off. I'll have to get the metal trim painted to match the rest of the window frame before I install the new rubber. Sigh.

I also thought I'd grab the back interior trim pieces to clean and install. Well, I seem to be missing the short piece that goes back there. I'll have to take a trip to the body shop to see if it is laying around there. I didn't think I had ever pulled it from the car, but one never knows. So are the interior trim pieces the same for ~86 Mustangs? I might have to go junk yarding.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

Well, replacement set of rear seatbelts arrived in the mail yesterday (Thanks Garth!). They are in MUCH better shape than the originals. Hopefully, I'll get some time to throw them in the car. I have been waiting for them to finish the interior install, so now I can proceed.

Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO G Stock (Finally home),
    Pearland, Texas

We managed to get the rear seats and console bolted in. With the help of my co-driver, I was able to clean the polishing compound spooge between the hatch and top of the body (from the buffing after paint). I've pulled a couple of the bolts that hold the hatch on the hatch hinges and have paint drying. I plan on installing them and pulling the other two to paint.

After I got tired of cleaning under the hatch, and hood, I installed the new hatch seal I got for the car. Now I'm ready to start putting the back end together, and installing the front seats. I need to touch up the pedal shafts and the seat mount brackets before the seats go in.

I'll get pictures when I get time. But last Sunday was very productive, SVO-wise.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

In order to make room to work on the fluorescent light install (two 4' dual T8 fixtures) over the new workbench, I had to find a place to put the door windows. Sooo, I re-installed them. They were nice and clean from peeling the old tinting off of them, so why not put them back from where they came? I did that. Since I didn't want to use the big plastic rivets that came with the bushing kit, I opted to use bolts and nylock nuts to secure the windows to the window lift mechanism. I used that method for attaching the external door handles to the door, and had read that someone had used them for their solution for attaching the windows, so I thought I'd follow.

I used allen-head button-head bolts. While it took some effort to get the nut in place, after I accomplished that, everything tightened right up and works well. There is an issue with the passenger side window in that it seems to pop outward out of the rear track when rolling the window up. You gotta pay attention to the window when rolling it up. I'm hoping things will get better when I install the dew wipes. If not, does anyone know of any adjustments I can make to help that?

Hopefully we'll be able to make some more progress this weekend.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

The guide bushings appear to be in pretty decent shape. I'll try adjusting the guide rod and see if that helps. Thanks.

Hopefully, I can get the doorpanels reinstalled this weekend.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

Hmm, well, I didn't get the windows adjusted over the weekend. I did, however, get some hatch wiring done and the lower spoiler attached to the hatch. Additionally, I got the hatch adjusted and bolted back down. It seems a bit off 'square' from the car, but as we all know with these things, it could be the car.

No update pics of the car, but I have included a picture of our workbench with all the lights in and on. I've closed the doors, so that's all the lights one gets with the doors shut. It's better than it looks with the cellphone camera. I want to get some hotter bulbs, but am having troubles finding any at the local big-box monopolistic national conglomerate hardware entities. These are 3500 deg-K, I believe.

The SVO is to the left of this picture. Maybe we'll get out this week to try adjusting the winders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop lights.jpg  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I finally got out to the shop to try my hand at adjusting the window track. Loosened up the bottom nut. Nothing would move. Loosened up the top nut, nothing would move. I 'exercised' the window down and up about an inch. The track rod moved a bit. I tightened up the nuts and ran the window down and up several times. _Perfect_ window frame alignment! Thanks, Mike, for the tip!

I'm still waiting for the dew wipe frame to be painted so I can assemble the dew wipes and finish with the doors. I'll probably work on getting the seats installed and working more on the hatch parts this weekend.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

It's been a while since I've had time to get out to the shop and work on the SVO, but I finally got a chance last weekend. I got the 3rd brake light lens polished and installed, and installed the hatch latch. It looks like I still have to adjust the hatch some so the latch lines up with the striker to line up properly, but at least it's bolted down. I also later polished the license plate light lenses, and will try to install those this week. It's been brutally hot, and I've had a lot of other projects going on, but now that the summer is fading, I can get out in the shop more and get more done.

I'm now trying to locate a glass guy, and get the upper wing repaired so I can paint and install. Updates as they occur.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas