Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    SVO's: '86 2R
    As I prep the hatch lock cyllinder retainer bracket to go back in, I noticed that it had a rubber gasket/seal that's kind of deformed. While I can reuse this one, if there are any out there cheap I can get, does anyone know if they still exist? Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Bringing this up from the depths. I finally had some time to work on the 86, and actually had some progress. I got the SVPU spats fitted and attached to the car. After that, I got the rocker panel trim pieces fitted and attached.

I didn't notice it until I was working on the second rocker panel, but it appears I have two different sets. With the set on the car looking badly torn up, I did get another set from someone here, and massaged the two that looked the best. I _think_ I used one from the set I got, but don't remember. Anyway, the driver's side rocker panel butts up against the spat, while the passenger side overrides the front part of the spat just a bit. Anyway, They're on, and I'm happy with them.

Additionally, I worked on removing the overspray off the bottom part of the front inner wheel well panel. Both sides got a bit of overspray on them. Luckily, it seems the paint we got on the car is pretty tough!

Hopefully, the forum app won't spin the picture around very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spats installed.JPG  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 85 1C
    Looks great!
    -Eric
    85 1C
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

Thanks. Yes, it does! I was procrastinating doing the work because of all the fitting and drilling I was going to have to do, but it came out pretty well. I think I'll loosen the driver's side spat and open up the holes on the back some, as I think the screws in the wheel opening are still pinching the spat a bit. Anyway, they're finally on, and I can move on to the next project.

The next big project will be fitting the upper wing on, and then getting it, and the dew-wipes painted, and fitting the Aerocatches to the hood. I'm having the hood pin studs cut down to fit the factory hood bumper adjuster holes (~3/8 USS > 8mm 1.50). I dipped the leading edge of the Aerocatch housing in 190-deg water to soften them to try to bend them a bit so they fit the hood better. I still have to cut the holes in the hood =8-O and then do some more fitting.

Hopefully, I'll get some time to play this weekend.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 861c comp prep, 862r
    Looking great! Love to see the pics of the fiberglass hood and the pin installation you are doing. How much lighter is the hood then stock steel? Looks like you'll be on the road soon! Good luck.

I'll do that. If it turns out well, I may even do a little 'how to' like with the rear quarter window frames. ;-)

I don't know how much weight is saved with the hood, possibly 20-30#, but I failed to weigh either. I know there are others with the HO-Fibertrends hood on their car, hopefully someone will chime in on the matter here.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Found this in the 'Weights' thread:

The hood weighs about 46lbs. The fiberglass stock replacement hood weighs about 31lbs, so that could be another 15lbs.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

It's been a while since I last updated this, and I had some positive activity in the shop this weekend, so I thought I'd post my success.

I have been trying to devise a nice way to get the electrical components in the fiberglass hatch grounded. While it would have been cool to use something like what Mazda uses on their second Gen RX7s (wiring and switches on one of the hatch lifts), I'm still at odds on what I'll do there, so that was not a solution at this time.

I went to the local Pick-N-Pull and grabbed some rear defroster wiring from some SUVs. I actually got a couple from some Ford minivans, so they even came with Ford tags on them! They are coiled wires, made to stretch a bit when the hatch is open, and spring out of the way when the hatch is closed. I figured I'd run this wire out a hole I drilled in the flat spot on the passenger's side of the upper part of the hatch, that's opposite the spot where the wiring harness goes from the hatch to the roof on the driver's side. I got a grommet that fit the hole and the wire. I fished another large-gauge wire from that hole, down to the bottom of the hatch, and over to the driver's side bottom of the hatch where the ground screw is located for all the circuits back there (third brake light, rear window defrost, hatch release). I figure I'll bolt them together with a button-head stainless bolt just inside the access hole there, so those wires will be hidden. The other end will be bolted to the inner C-pillar panel up near the roof. There's already a hole there, I can run a short bolt through. I'll use a nylock nut to keep everything nice and tight.

The second pig-tail piece I got from the JY, I figured I'd use for the ground strap for the defroster grid on the window. That way, I'll have two similar-looking pig-tail wires on that side of the car. I think it will make things look a little more factory-like, if not actually factory. I'll run this wire through the same hole the power supply for the defroster grid goes through. That wire will reside behind the inner hatch panel. I may use the attached harness tie downs to keep things from rattling around too much. Some more hole drilling is in order for that to happen.

I had to go get some connectors so I didn't finish hooking everything up, but I've successfully tested clamping a ground wire to the existing ground wires, so things will hopefully work when I'm done. Some day, I'll actually remember to drag a camera out to the shop when I'm working.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Yesterday, I finally got all the parts together to hook up my grounds. I got a stainless button head bolt to fit one of the holes I drilled for the ground. I bolted everything up, turned the brake lights on and _all_ of the brake lights lit! Then, I pressed the hatch release button and heard the familiar Thunk! I used to hear when we autocrossed the car. What a wonderful sound! It was nice to see some success.

I also trimmed the pins for the aerocatch hood latches. Additionally, I received some #8 torx head counter-sunk screws to secure the Aerocatch to the hood, so I'm about ready to start that work. I now need to find a way to get the nut on the back side of the core support for the pin _without_ removing the bumper cover. There's not a lot of space there. The fiberglass front bumper support is in the way, and the top of the core support kind of folds downward front and back, so access if very tight.

I finished up the afternoon by reinstalling some of the interior panels. It was a good day in the shop.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Back from the past!

I _finally_ got everything, well, almost everything, painted and back under one roof. At least it's the big parts that have kept a lot of small parts from getting attached. we got the dew wipe frames, bi-wing, bumper extensions and Aerocatches painted. I did get some time to put the doors together. Now they are complete, with mirrors and everything!

I did just drop the Aerocatches in place, I still have to paint the screws that will hold them in place, so that'll take a little while, but I can now get to work on putting the hatch completely together. I still have to locate all the side molding and get that painted, or just buy the replacement stuff people here have picked up. I'm not sure what to do there.

I have started under the hood. The air cleaner assembly has been cleaned and repainted. I'm trying to get all of that side of the engine compartment cleaned up and then put back on. Then I'll go to work on the other side.

It's really nice to see the doors finished and hear them close with that dull thud they're supposed to make when everything is tight!

Here's a couple of pics. Hopefully, they don't get spun around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door complete.JPG   painted aerocatch.JPG  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Well, slow progress! Actually, two steps forward, one step back. A couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd tackle the hatch spoilers. I got the upper wing back from paint, and got all the final fitting done on it. When I started mating it to the lower spoiler, I discovered the paint on the spoiler was a shade different. Argh! I talked to my paint guy, and he said he had enough paint to redo the spoiler. Sooooo, back to paint.

Racing season is starting up again, and a LOT of his racing customers are dragging their broken body panels to his shop to fix and squirt after their first outing for the season, so I guess it's going to take a little time to see them again. Hopefully they'll be ready for when we drop our race car off for mini-tubs.

I DID get some forward progress, though. I finally got the painted Aerocatches installed. I still have to touch up the sockets in the screw heads, but that should be pretty easy. Anyway, here are the pictures. Hopefully they don't get spun around again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aerocatch on hood closed.JPG   hood latch open.jpg   hood with aerocatch latches.JPG  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

I finally got the wings repainted and back. The lower wing is bolted down, and I have the upper wing loosely-attached by the main stud. I still have to acquire some fiberglass screws and drill the upper and lower holes for the upper wing, so it's still not quite done yet. Here are some pictures of the look at this time.

I'm currently busy putting Eibachs on my wife's Dakota R/T so progress on the SVO has slowed again. We'll get there, though. Looks like the race car engine will be a no-show again this year, so I'll have plenty of time to spend on the SVO. >:-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bi-wing1.JPG   biwing2.JPG  
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Looking good. Keep at it.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    Wow .. them some glossy wings.

SVO's: 86 1E
    Learned the hard way that with trim paint (at least what I used) some flattening agent is needed for the proper sheen.
    86 SVO 1E, not stock. MM&FF May 2010
    2012 Mustang GT, also not stock.