Thread: Fuel sending unit

12 PSI Boost

Fuel sending unit

I swapped out my factory fuel sending unit and got one from LMR.
    It works BUT.. when I first got in the car today for example, it showed about 3/4 seems to show the correct level but as I drive it wants to always drift over towards full. If I go around a hard curve it will float towards full as well. It never seems to come back to the correct level even on flat ground.
    Is there something else I should have done on the install?

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    you replaced the tank as well, right ?

did you look to see if the new tank had the same baffle as the original tank ?
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    I am with Eric on this one, something seems not quite right with the tank rather than the sender. Since the sender seems to be giving a reading and it varies as you drive, it is sending back a signal. I would think that if the sender was flaky, it would give different readings than you describe, if at all. When I did my sender replacement, I didn't snap a pic of the inside the tank at the sender, only the pump location...wish I had now. I know I don't get fluctuation on my gage reading, unless I am doing on ramp/off ramp gymnastics or out on the road course. I would give whomever you purchased the tank from a call to see if you can get some info as to whether the replacement has all the internal pieces as the stock one.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    Eric... no sir I didnt look. I assumed it was correct. I bought the tank and sender from LMR, I figured it would be a correct replacement tank as our stock one. This is the one I got ...
    1984-97 Mustang Fuel Tank w/ EFI by 5.0 Resto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lrs-9002b_1145.jpg  
    Last edited by pfmeeks1966; 05-24-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    84' SVO

12 PSI Boost
    pfmeeks1966, if it helps, here's what the inside of my Spectra branded tank looked like (through the filler hole) when I did some of my stuff a few months ago..:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200126_110300.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	47175