Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SVO's: 1984 reborn

Thumbs up no run after head gasket change

As most of you know I replaced the head gasket on the SVO this weekend. While in there the only other things I did were change the timing belt, replace valve stem seals, and replace the IAC pigtail, that's it. Everything else I had done prior to the head gasket change and it ran fine.

I got on here and found the sticky about timing..I put the new timing belt on with the crank at TDC where the notch is straight up, then set the ignition timing to TDC where the rotor points to #1 cylinder point, then set the cam one to TDC as well pointing it towards the ignition pulley just like the pictures Eric posted. I set the TPS back to .90 as well.

I have it all back together, checked all electrical connections, and I tried starting it. For all intents and purposes it should have started right up, but did not.

So.. the engie tries to idle at like 20rpm's literally.. touching the pedal kills it.
    I checked the firing order twice to make sure and even switched back to the old plugs to narrow down the symptoms, they are all getting fuel. I tried running codes, but it does nothing.

any words of wisdom here? places to start? I have a hunch it's something to do with the cam/ignition stuff, but let me know what you think.
    Last edited by BrianO; 03-11-2008 at 08:09 PM.

16 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 84 Slapper bar
    Mine did the same thing when I did my head swap and it turned out my timing was two teeth off, so I would recheck the timing first then maybe any grounds or anything like that that you may have inadvertantly knocked loose

Boosted
    Set your cam timing and distributor were you think it needs to be and take pics of the cam and crank sprocket, as well as the dist setting.

If the engine timing is at 0, the ignition (dist) needs to be initially set at the plug prior to #1 to be almost perfect out of the gates. (distributor rotates CW)

I hate nothing in the world more than changing the belt on mine. I always get it a tooth or 2 off. I really suck at it. All you can do it try try again. I have had it off one tooth and it ran fine other than the exhaust glowing red. This last time I was dead on. Years of practice!!
    Time to clean up the engine bay!

this is the picture I went by.. I have mine exactly like this..
    http://www.svoca.com/forum/attachmen...4&d=1131160868

this is also what I went by.. mine was just like this as well.
    http://www.svoca.com/forum/attachmen...5&d=1131160931

if these settings in the pictures are correct then can it be something else?

Check it again. Check the rotor for sure also. IF that don't work take the belt off and do it again. YOu know nothing else is wrong so go with what you just did. and then check for intake leaks. vam plug things like that. Rags in the intake.

Boosted
    Ok, I see what you mean, but take pics of YOUR install so we can help you out.
    Also, the manual says that when you install the belt, to give the engine 2 manual rotations (by hand) after the belt is installed, and to re-check the engine (belt) timing.

I know what you meant.. I was typing that as you replied.. pictures coming in a second

pictures of cam gear and dizzy... both look correct to me.

the crank is straight up.

I've been inside and checked any connections and even had someone else go over it when I was done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0204 (Large).JPG   PICT0205 (Large).JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    So what does your timing light show for base timing?
    I haven't put a light on it yet. I'm assuming that TDC would allow the car to run, but I'm guessing that means the timing is at zero.. hmm.. I'll go eat and come back and try again. keep the ideas coming.

much appreciated

Boosted
    that cam mark is WAY off.......too far advanced.

You will get it. It took me 2 weeks one time. Had to close the door to the shop and leave it for a while. When I went back it was running after I got the wires and rotor back in time. Easy work for you!

Quote Originally Posted by NavySVO View Post
    that cam mark is WAY off.......too far advanced.
    it's exactly where it is in the picture showing how to set TDC, I lined it up with the ignition gear just like the posts says.

if that picture is wrong in the TDC sticky then how should it be?

TDC is zero correct and then I need to bump it to 10 degrees.. that's probably what it is.... I'll be back

Boosted
    And you need to provide a pic of the crank sprocket please.

SVO's: 84
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    I put the new timing belt on with the crank at TDC where the notch is straight up
    Is this using the key way or timing mark on the pulley?
    <- Got fuel?