Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SVO's: coming soon... again

Gt40 18x9 idea help please

ok i searched and read about fitment but there are so many people chiming in on it fitting their car but not another, do to sn95 this or MM that or IRS and this offset or that offset, or heavy modification or direct bolt, what is acceptable stick out or fender rub? quad shock rub? 10.5 in back etc . so I am still unclear.

I have a 1984 svo all stock K frame arms, brakes and rear. Koni quads I am thinking about installing but are not in yet. I did just intall H&R springs so it is sitting about an inch lower.

I want all 4 to be 18 x 9
    I am and have been drooling over the gt40 stlye rims / wheels.
    I am looking at a 2005+ version
    Wheel Size: 18x9"
    Wheel Offset: +40mm (Fits Best 2005+ All)
    Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5 inch

is this going to work? what tire options should I consider 235-? 245-? / 35? 40? will it stick out? how much? does anyone have a pic of a 05+ mustang offset rim and tire with the stock arms brakes and rear on it that I can see a pic of ?

the wheels that I want are on sale so time is important on real repsonses, I was going to buy them this morning, double checked here before I purchased them and ended up more confused.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by fastest4d; 04-22-2008 at 04:53 AM.
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

SVO's: 1986 2R comp prep
    I think the only tire that'll work will be a 255/35/18...about 25 inches in diameter.

You'll probably have to at the minimum flip the quad shocks over or remove them totally.

Good luck!

will that tire fit on all 4 corners?
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

SVO's: 1986 2R comp prep
    That tire is about the same size as a 255/40/17 that some FOX bodied Mustangs run without fender modification. I know for certain that 275/40/17 tires need fender mods...

I was hoping for a little more detailed info but oh well, c986svo thanks for chiming in wheels ordered........ we will see.
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

SVO's: 85 SVO
    I just bought a set of steedas that are 18*9.5 with a +30 and the car will need flared. They are about a half inch at most from the strut and stick out an inch at least. On the rear with the irs I have plenty of clearance to the inside but they again stick out about an inch. Hope this helps if you want pics let me know.
    <<<

that doesn't help at all I read what you have in other threads with your mods, thats a wider rim with a differnt offset and and IRS in back and ?? in front..

from what I can find most people are having some issues but then I find out they have a sn95 this or sn95 that or they are to lowered or they got the wonrg offset etc.

I am talking all stock svo stuff
    Last edited by fastest4d; 04-22-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

in case others are interested to see what the difference was.

pic 1... FR500
    pic 2...Ford GT40
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fr500 wheel.jpg   gt40 wheel.jpg  
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

well problem #1 has occured. I bought them from americanmuscle.com I ordered the 2005+ versions.

the offset is correct.
    BUT:
    they mount nice on the rear but on the fron they are more sn95 and I can't fit the center hub/spindle through it. so even though I ordered the right style they are only have way to the 05+ spec.

and since I can't return them cause I have tires on them, it is time to start manipulating the front to try to get them to work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26.JPG   27.JPG   28.JPG  
    Last edited by fastest4d; 06-02-2008 at 01:55 AM.
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

SVO's: Several
    Do you have any local machinist who could bore out the hub center diameter on the wheel?

SVO's: '84 2A
    Quote Originally Posted by fastest4d View Post
    well problem #1 has occured. I bought them from americanmuscle.com I ordered the 2005+ versions.

the offset is correct.
    BUT:
    they mount nice on the rear but on the fron they are more sn95 and I can't fit the center hub/spindle through it. so even though I ordered the right style they are only have way to the 05+ spec.

and since I can't return them cause I have tires on them, it is time to start manipulating the front to try to get them to work
    Does the hub fit part way through or are the diameters totally incompatible?

Quote Originally Posted by tateg View Post
    Does the hub fit part way through or are the diameters totally incompatible?
    it fit partly but has about 1/2 inch to go BUT there is only about 1/8 at that point between the tire and the shock
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

SVO's: '84 2A
    Quote Originally Posted by fastest4d View Post
    it fit partly but has about 1/2 inch to go BUT there is only about 1/8 at that point between the tire and the shock
    1/2" is too far. I was able to use 1/4" spacers on my wheels and still have enough stud for safety. You *could* install high end spacers which bolt to your wheel studs and have their own wheel studs. But you would end up with wheels sticking out of your fenders pretty far.

I am going to pic up a number of different arms and hubs and spindles to see what combo may work. it is not just to be able to bolt them up it has to be near race functional for me too, as I plan on being more radical with this svo so I do not do something stupid in the comp prep.

so I will play around without gutting out the wheels etc. as I still have the option to sell them locally, and get a different wheel. I will keep you updated, progress may be slowed down though as we are expecting our second child this month.
    85 Com Prep.
    www.fordturbo.com
    www.fastest4d.com

SVO's: 1986 Cp single wing
    When I put new wheels on my 86 SVO back in 1996 I had the same problem. I took my rotors off and had a local guy machine the hub down to where the wheels fit. That way know matter what wheel you put on there it will fit.
    Problem I have now is I bought new rotors for my car and I have to get them machined.