Thread: Bad lifters

6 PSI Boost

Bad lifters

I am replacing a set of lifters in a car that I just bought. It's an 84 model. All stock car 108k on the motor. I drove it around the block it runs pretty good which I was surprized. Anything else I should replace while I'm there. I going to restore this car and will be pulling engine later just want to get it runnig right before I do it. What shop manual do you guys use?

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    valve stem seals
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Boosted
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    valve stem seals
    x2. I would also replace the sliders (followers), as they are fairly cheap. I can remember at the reunion we saw some that were not too old and they were pretty worn down.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I wouldn't replace them unless they are worn. if they are broke in, and working, they have a pretty good chance of continuing to do so.
    Breaking in a new set of sliders is going to cause more wear on the cam. I'd go with the -- if it ain't broke theory on this one
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 84 1E
    Quote Originally Posted by NavySVO View Post
    x2. I would also replace the sliders (followers), as they are fairly cheap. I can remember at the reunion we saw some that were not too old and they were pretty worn down.
    If you're going to pull the motor soon anyways I would just leave them for now. By the time you replace the lifters, valve seals, followers, you might as well pull the head to port it, drop a roller came and followers in there. Where to stop is hard when you start.
    -Ken
    '84 - HE351, MS2-Extra
    PICS

SVO's: 85 855 855 86 86 86
    Has the car been sitting for a long time? I recently replaced some valve springs. Check them while you are doing the valve stems seals. As far as manuals I have some of everything around here. Chiltons, ford and stuff pulled from the net. Don't forget that you get discounts from the vendors with a membership!

Boosted
    SVO's: 2-'86
    I've got Haynes, Chilton, Steve Smith's How to build the mustang ministock (which has a section by esslinger on how to build the engine) the esslinger catalog (which has an engine build section) David Vizard's How to Hotrod the Ford SOHC (really about the 2.0, but has a section in it that Esslinger collaborated on about turbo engines). Des Hammil's book on the Ford SOHC and Sierra Cosworth (also 2.0 based). I keep trying to score dealer manuals on the evil bay and here but keep missing.

Bob

6 PSI Boost
    The car was setting for about a year in the guys yard I got it from. I'm trying to get a good baseline on the engine it self to see how much it's really going to need. I got about 5k to work with maybe 6k to get thic car back on the road and looking good. I just got the lifters today, and going to start turning some bolts this weekend. I like working on cars when it's not a rush to get it done.

6 PSI Boost
    All good info. I got allot to learn, but I learn fast. Already got one hard to find part car already nothing like another one.