Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle saver bearings?

SVO's: 85.5 2R

Axle saver bearings?

The noise my rear end was making turned out to be the axles: apparently some moisture found its way into the axle shaft and caused some premature wear on the axles. Unitrax, my local gear gurus installed some axle saver bearings because they could not locate a set of replacement axles for the SVO.

The tech told me the only downside to these bearings is that they sometimes start to leak after a year or so. He also told me if I located a set, he would install the new axles for free.

I did a few searches and found that Moser makes the replacement axles. Anyone installed a set of these lately? The threads were a few years old.
    "You have a monkey?!"

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 SVO
    I ran them for quite a while and had no issues at all with them
    Minimum standards NEVER guarantee success

SVO's: 85 855 855 86 86 86
    If you are worried about it you could always install a set of 9" bearings and housings from Moser. More expensive, not sure.

SVO's: 86 1C
    I haven't personally ran Mosers, but they are on my short list if my current ones take a crap. I have had several folks I know run Mosers without any issue, from street cars to dedicated dragers.

When I swapped in my 8.8 I went to axle savers due to wear on the original axles. Three driver's side bearings later I had one that wouldn't leak...that was a fun couple of weekends, NOT! The seals on the saver bearings seem to be hit or miss when it comes to sealing. They are not as robust as the normal axle seals and don't take well to any pre-use abuse. Make sure your axle surface where the seals sit are very clean and smooth. Also, don't push the axle too far inward to put on the c-clip or you will damage your saver bearing seal too...ask me how I know.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    06 2.5i Ltd Legacy Wgn

SVO's: None
    I just put Mosers into my car less then 6 months ago. I tried to save a few bucks and go with the bearing savers....I immediately had leaks. Do yourself a favor and get the Mosers. MONEY WELL SPENT. Contact Moser directly and they'll take care of ya....they have the proper listing for the SVO rear.

SVO's: 85.5 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I just put Mosers into my car less then 6 months ago. I tried to save a few bucks and go with the bearing savers....I immediately had leaks. Do yourself a favor and get the Mosers. MONEY WELL SPENT. Contact Moser directly and they'll take care of ya....they have the proper listing for the SVO rear.
    Thanks: I will give Moser a call when I have the funds for the new axles. Hopefully the axle savers will hold up for a little while.
    "You have a monkey?!"

SVO's: 86 1C
    You should be fine if they haven't leaked in the first day or two of use. My axle savers have been in for probably 10 years w/o any issues, would need to look back in my logs to see when I put them in.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    06 2.5i Ltd Legacy Wgn

SVO's: '84 2A
    I'm running them in mine. When I replaced the rear with the 8.8 (due to worn out bearings an axles) I bought the Mosers. I've had no issues with them at all. Additionally, they are about 30% stronger than the stock axles.

16 PSI Boost
    I ran axle savers, they were fine until I started roadracing the car, then both sides started pouring oil.
    I now have a C clip eliminator kit from Strange Engineering, it's a new product designed for roadracing, uses tapered bearings, really nice stuff.

14 PSI Boost

Moser Axle

Does anyone have the part number & contract info on Moser? I need a right axle.

Thanks,

68cobra

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    looks like most people just call moser, and get them, I've never understood people's fascination with part numbers.
    here's how to do it.
    http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15381
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

14 PSI Boost

Moser

Thanks Eric!

I assume they sell the axle bearings & seals as well?

68cobra

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Not sure on that ....
    This thread makes me think you either have to ask, or they don't come.
    http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15559
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

14 PSI Boost
    Thanks!

SVO's: 85 855 855 86 86 86
    By the way if you save alot of money you can buy me a beer at Hotel Charlotte(if its still there) Where in Charlotte do you live? I lived in Charlotte for a couple of years when I worked for IBM.

I ordered a set of axles about a month ago and they were made, shipped and recieved in 8 days. Wish I had ordered the longer studs now though.
    Last edited by Raven855; 05-06-2009 at 11:14 AM.