Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need help!!!

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by NavySVO View Post
    try this
    I just printed out this same page after doing some google research on PIP... I try it see what I come up with.
    84 SVO

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    Great thread... Thanks
    84 SVO

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    The PIP (stator, Hall-Effect sensor, inside distributor thingie) should be replaced as a set with the TFI.

Also highly likely is the insulation on the TFI harness is damaged and causing intermittent shorting. Especially since this is on an 1984 Ford - notorious for bad wiring.

Get a replacement TFI pigtail and splice it in. Be sure to check the wire insulation for at least a foot up the harness from the actual TFI connector and repair as needed (heat shrink tubing, etc).
    I'll probably just replace the PIP rather than bother testing it since this is the second time I replaced the TFI without replacing the PIP, didn't know I should've dont it... Thanks for the insight.

I also didn't know there was any problem with the TFI wiring harnesses on the 84's, I'll be sure to check it well.

Great advise!
    84 SVO

SVO's: 84 2A, 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah48 View Post
    I also didn't know there was any problem with the TFI wiring harnesses on the 84's, I'll be sure to check it well.
    ALL the wiring on the 84s is questionable at best. i cant count the yards of replacement wire in my engine harness
    redneck engineered 84 2a, stock 84 1D.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    The PIP (stator, Hall-Effect sensor, inside distributor thingie) should be replaced as a set with the TFI.

Also highly likely is the insulation on the TFI harness is damaged and causing intermittent shorting. Especially since this is on an 1984 Ford - notorious for bad wiring.

Get a replacement TFI pigtail and splice it in. Be sure to check the wire insulation for at least a foot up the harness from the actual TFI connector and repair as needed (heat shrink tubing, etc).
    I bought a PIP last night but probably wont have time to install it until this weekend, I let you know how it goes...
    84 SVO

SVO's: '86 XR4Ti
    Hey, Mike...never came across any posts or a thread re. the need for a PIP change-out with TFI replacement. Would you happen to have a source on that? Thanks.
    Ed
    86 XR4Ti 5SPD

Boosted
    It is a Ford recommendation

Navy (btw, I was on the Coral Sea - CVA43 - from '72 to '75), any idea about the need to do the PIP change after intalling a TFI relocation harness?
    Ed
    86 XR4Ti 5SPD

And where does that PSI copy come from under the user name? I'm running 18 pounds, which is just 'a bit of boost' more than the 4 PSI that's showing there!?!
    Ed
    86 XR4Ti 5SPD

SVO's: 85 855 855 86 86 86
    Quote Originally Posted by 86XR4Ti5SPD View Post
    And where does that PSI copy come from under the user name? I'm running 18 pounds, which is just 'a bit of boost' more than the 4 PSI that's showing there!?!
    The more you post the more it goes up!

After the fun weekend we just had, check to make sure all of your grounds are connected (bellhousing & block). Then make sure they are good solid connections & the wires are not cut,damaged, or coroded.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    The more you post the more it goes up!
    Oh.....never mind.
    Ed
    86 XR4Ti 5SPD

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    After the fun weekend we just had, check to make sure all of your grounds are connected (bellhousing & block). Then make sure they are good solid connections & the wires are not cut,damaged, or coroded.
    I've looked at the grounds before but I'll check them a little more closely again...

I didn't have much time to work on it this weekend so I didn't get the PIP changed. I took the cap and rotor off and couldn't easily identify how to get to the PIP. I believe it is the advance that the rotor bolts to that's in the way, how do you take it off? Do you have to pull the distributor to do it? I'm sure I could figure it out but some insight would be cool!
    84 SVO

SVO's: 84 SVO
    yeah or you could check the kanooter valve