Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Low voltage wire wrap?

  
  1. #1
    17 PSI Boost kjdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Batavia, IL
    Posts
    215

    Low voltage wire wrap?

    Well the last owner decided to peel off some the TFI low voltage wrap. Where can I get replacement wrap? Ratshack?

    Also, did the factory splice wires by just using tape? I have a orange wire coming from the computer that trunks outs to two locations. The slice is just twisted wire and some fiber tape. Weird..

  2. #2
    OVER-BOOST!! svono50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Streamwood, IL
    Posts
    3,875
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Most electronics shops like RS should have what you are looking for. I purchased some non-adhesive wrap from Eastwood many years ago. It is nice when you have to remove it, you don't have all that adhesive goo to contend with. Just wrap the one open end with some electrical tape and call it a day. I just checked Eastwood's site and the only thing similar is the cold shrink tape that they offer, again non-adhesive. Should work to rewrap some wires.

    As for your splice, sounds like someone may have done some hacking on some wires. Although, if the wires are mechanically welded together and wrapped, then that could be a factory splice. I have run into those before, they do seem a little primative, but they do work nicely. You usually find those in ground splices.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

  3. #3
    Boosted Pat_in_L.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Sunland, California
    Posts
    8,005
    SVO's: Several
    If all the splices are within 10 inches of the TFI and all wires are the same color on the TFI side, that was a repair job to replace the TFI connector.

  4. #4
    17 PSI Boost kjdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Batavia, IL
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_in_L.A. View Post
    If all the splices are within 10 inches of the TFI and all wires are the same color on the TFI side, that was a repair job to replace the TFI connector.
    Missing about 5" of shielding near the connector and around 8"-10" in the middle of the harness.

  5. #5
    OVER-BOOST!! svono50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Streamwood, IL
    Posts
    3,875
    SVO's: 86 1C
    kjdad, I have to assume you are talking about the actual wire insulation and not the wrap around the wire bundle, correct?

    I think you have an 84 model, which is well known to shed any/all exposed insulation in the engine compartment unfortunately. Your best bet is to cut out and splice in new wiring with fresh insulation where it is damaged. A quick-n-dirty way to do it is to cut the wire and cover it with some shrink tubing and solder back together the cut with shrink tubing over it. Good luck.

    BTW, I did locate some non-adhesive harness wrap here:

    http://www.wiringharness.com/harnesstape.htm

    Also, you are not that far away from me, maybe I could assist some time if you want. Drop me a PM.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

  6. #6
    17 PSI Boost kjdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Batavia, IL
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    kjdad, I have to assume you are talking about the actual wire insulation and not the wrap around the wire bundle, correct?

    I think you have an 84 model, which is well known to shed any/all exposed insulation in the engine compartment unfortunately. Your best bet is to cut out and splice in new wiring with fresh insulation where it is damaged. A quick-n-dirty way to do it is to cut the wire and cover it with some shrink tubing and solder back together the cut with shrink tubing over it. Good luck.

    BTW, I did locate some non-adhesive harness wrap here:

    http://www.wiringharness.com/harnesstape.htm

    Also, you are not that far away from me, maybe I could assist some time if you want. Drop me a PM.
    Thanks for the link. The wires look good for the most part. Some damage from hack jobs and some of the connectors were not taking off correctly so they have broken tabs..but overall the wires are ok. I am just missing the shielding on the LV TFI wires. It was torn off and taped up.

    I pulled the entire harness out to redo it. I hate gooy old eletrical tape

  7. #7
    Boosted
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdad View Post
    I hate gooy old eletrical tape
    Nothing nail polish remover won't take care of. The wife won't appreciate it much though.

  8. #8
    17 PSI Boost kjdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Batavia, IL
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by NavySVO View Post
    Nothing nail polish remover won't take care of. The wife won't appreciate it much though.
    Does that damage the wires? I have been using simple green on a rag and a lot of swearing.

  9. #9
    OVER-BOOST!! svono50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Streamwood, IL
    Posts
    3,875
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdad View Post
    Thanks for the link. <snip> I pulled the entire harness out to redo it. I hate gooy old eletrical tape
    No problem. I love the stuff I have, but it won't last forever. Normal electrical tape you get in HD, Lowes, etc gets gooey at engine compartment temps and usually just walks. The non-adhesive stuff I have can't get gooey unless I start melting it, which wouldn't matter what I had at that point.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

  10. #10
    Banned Meotchh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by NavySVO View Post
    Nothing nail polish remover won't take care of. The wife won't appreciate it much though.
    Not a good idea if it has Acetone in it as most nail polish removers do. The Acetone will dry out the insulation on the wires & cause it to crack away even quicker.

    A few good products to clean wires:

    1. Shop Hand Cleaner with Pumice (Works great if you have the wires out of the car & you can rinse them off. Plus you can apply it by hand & not worry about getting any harmful chemicals on your skin)
    2. 3M adheisive remover (Easily applied with a shop rag, terry cloth towel, or paper towels. You will want to wear some gloves.)
    3. PPG adheisive remover (Easily applied with a shop rag, terry cloth towel, or paper towels. You will want to wear some gloves.)

  11. #11
    17 PSI Boost kjdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Batavia, IL
    Posts
    215
    Simple green doesn't work for the most part. I was using it on my hands more then anything. I ended up with a basketball sized mound of tape. I chucked it at my 4 year old and it stuck to his back..then I got busted out by the wife for getting black goop on his shirt

  12. #12
    Boosted Pat_in_L.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Sunland, California
    Posts
    8,005
    SVO's: Several
    So it DID work. You just got busted.

  13. #13
    Max BOOST! caroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Fort Collins Colorado
    Posts
    448
    SVO's: 86 -1E
    Forget the simple green, get a can of brake cleaner, spray it on a rag and clean wires.

  14. #14
    17 PSI Boost kjdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Batavia, IL
    Posts
    215
    Do you think conductive aluminum EMI shielding tape would work for the TFI wires?

  15. #15
    Boosted
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdad View Post
    Does that damage the wires?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Not a good idea if it has Acetone in it as most nail polish removers do. The Acetone will dry out the insulation on the wires & cause it to crack away even quicker.
    I meant use it to get it off of your hands and tools used.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •