Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    SVO's: '86 2R
    If ever there was a good use for Locktite, that would be it.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    If ever there was a good use for Locktite, that would be it.
    Good idea, I'll put that on the list for later this fall when I'm done driving the car.
    86 SVO 1C

So - long time in the making, but my SVO finally went to a good home:

Don't worry, I still have it. I spent most of summer getting ready for a secondary storage unit on my property. The SVO finally has a permanent inside storage spot since October. It feels nice to have it tucked away where it can stay clean, dry and (hopefully) rodent free!

And here is a pic of the SVO's stable mate, my 82 GT T-Top car that I've done a resto / mod on over the last 10 years or so.

Cheers everyone!

JT
    86 SVO 1C

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    NICE-- when you showing up here for a 'barn raising' ?

Just noticed, it's a wood floor... interesting... concrete is one of the big reasons I can't build one where I currently live.
    what's under there ??
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    NICE-- when you showing up here for a 'barn raising' ?

Just noticed, it's a wood floor... interesting... concrete is one of the big reasons I can't build one where I currently live.
    what's under there ??
    Eric, technically it's a shed and not a garage. Built to order and delivered in 2 pieces via trailer. 24' wide x 20' deep.
    The flooring system starts with PT 4x4's that run the depth of the garage (front to back). Then there are 2x4's 8" on center that run perpendicular. Then PT plywood as the final step. It's sitting on a base 4-6" deep of crush stone for drainage.
    86 SVO 1C

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Nice.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

I too noticed the wood flooring, so it is a 'non-permanent' car shed...very clever! Congrats getting both of those Fox gems into a 4-walled dwelling.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    <SNIP> It feels nice to have it tucked away where it can stay clean, dry and (hopefully) rodent free!

<SNIP>
    Bounce fabric softener dryer sheets distributed around the shed backed up with rat bait are your friend for that. The stinkier the sheets, the better. If either car is running without a cat, put a sheet in each tail pipe. IF the hoods still have the insulation, keep the hoods open while storing. Rodents LOVE to build nests in that stuff, and if mama mouse doesn't survive, you pretty much have to throw the insulation out, or so I've been told.... :-/
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Bounce fabric softener dryer sheets distributed around the shed backed up with rat bait are your friend for that. The stinkier the sheets, the better. If either car is running without a cat, put a sheet in each tail pipe. IF the hoods still have the insulation, keep the hoods open while storing. Rodents LOVE to build nests in that stuff, and if mama mouse doesn't survive, you pretty much have to throw the insulation out, or so I've been told.... :-/
    Thanks Gene, over the years I've tried all the normal "mouse repellents" including dryer sheets, Irish spring soap, etc. None worked - and this was one of the main reasons I sold my 86 GT Vert (which was stored off-premise during winters and always had mouse damage come spring).

The SVO had an after market hood pad. This past spring in went in the garbage due to rodent damage....
    86 SVO 1C

Sounds like you need some cats for the property Bugs/spiders are 'easy' to discourage, original scent Downy softener sheets always seem to work for me. Luckily I haven't had any rodent related issues, even the few years I off-site stored my vehicles in barns. I do know that steel wool in the tail pipes and intake track with discourage mice, we used that to stuff holes that they chewed through foundation concrete and holes in walls/stud plates. Apparently they don't like the taste of the steel.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Thanks Gene, over the years I've tried all the normal "mouse repellents" including dryer sheets, Irish spring soap, etc. None worked - and this was one of the main reasons I sold my 86 GT Vert (which was stored off-premise during winters and always had mouse damage come spring).

The SVO had an after market hood pad. This past spring in went in the garbage due to rodent damage....
    I hear you on that! We had rodents take up raising their pups in the hood insulation of one of our Cadillacs. Unfortunately, mama mouse got a hold of some of the bait and didn't make it back to the pups. That hood insulation had to go. I replaced it with some aftermarket insulation. It's okay, but even the 50-year old original looked better. We had another family grab some insulation off the hood liner of our 3800-mile Dakota R/T. Luckily, just some chewing of part of the pad closest to the hood itself, so it's mostly-hidden.

The SVO has a 'glass hood and no liner, but even it's hood is up. All hoods are up in our shop, even if the car has a cover. Kind of defeats the use of the cover but at least it keeps the dust off the rest of the car.

I've found that rodent protection requires a multi-pronged strategy. Keep them out, if you can, keep them out of the cars if you can, and poison them if you have to. We're in a semi-rural area, so there are bobcats, foxes, coyotes, and the occasional barn cat, yet we still see signs of rodents in the shop. The little effers can get EVERYWHERE, too. We have shelving like you see in the big box hardware stores, and I've seen rodent droppings on the top shelves on those things.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas