Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
    SVO's: 86 1C
    Certainly the lighting in the pic then, that is the correct SEM color if my memory serves me right. Important thing is to match the color on all parts so you don't end up with various shades of gray. I have always used the same Duplicolor gray for all components that needed some help on mine.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

A few weekends ago (before 'Rona Apocalypse), the weather was actually pretty nice around here - especially for March. Roads were clean of salt so I was able to sneak out the SVO for a quick drive....

Now that spring has officially sprung....

86 SVO 1C

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Nice! -- we had a couple days, but SALT!!!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Enjoy when you can! I got mine out of my neighbor's garage Saturday and brought it back home (~100 yards), since it was sunny and my neighbor was headed back home this Monday. Didn't want to spin it around the block, since I don't have liability turned back on yet. Of course it did snow ~3" Sunday night, just to confirm we are way too early to think about kicking it back into action.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

FYI --- wanna see why I'm always poking people, telling them 'upload your pics to the site, DONT link them'
    and people are always like I can do whatever I want!

click page one of this thread...
    Sorry Joe -- dont meant to use you as an example... but just was a good example I happen to see. please don't think I'm picking on you.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    FYI --- wanna see why I'm always poking people, telling them 'upload your pics to the site, DONT link them'
    and people are always like I can do whatever I want!

click page one of this thread...
    Sorry Joe -- dont meant to use you as an example... but just was a good example I happen to see. please don't think I'm picking on you.
    Yeah, I know. Photobucket really screwed the whole forum pic posting thing. Someday I’ll fix it.
    86 SVO 1C

Another project of the 'Rona-apocolypse to-do list.... This is the 3rd time I've "cleaned-up" the corner marker lights on my SVO. In the past I've never treated the lights and because the car mainly sat outside, UV always did it's damage. I would try urethane clear coat, but I'm not sure it would actually stick to the refinished lights {considering they are wet sanded to 2k grit paper then buffed with compound and finally polishing cleaner}. Sooooo?

The good news is that the car now spends 99% of the time inside, so UV shouldn't be a problem. I might try some ceramic coating instead of urethane clear coat....

Anyway, here is what I started with:

And after:

I cheated on one of the lights, it wouldn't buff out good enough. So I ended up swapping another corner lense that cleaned up much better.

JT
    Last edited by JTurbo; 04-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    86 SVO 1C

nice job!
    they look good. let us see how you coat them.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Those came out great! Looking forward to seeing them fully finished and back in place.

A long time ago I had a chat with a plastics engineer I worked with about discolored headlight buckets, as he used to work with a Tier 1 that did these kinds of products. I will spare you the details, but his recommendation was to use a pure acrylic clear coat to protect the lens. He noted that the plastic fogs/discolors due to UV damage, not just environmental exposure. Apparently acrylic has natural UV blocking properties along with sealing the plastic. Even a thin coat on the lens should help greatly extend the life of the lens from discoloration. I did my wife's Forester lenses and they looked great, but she decided to sell it ~2 months after I did it, so I can't say how long it would last, but the lenses didn't fog over in that amount of time. YMMV.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Drove it today instead of working on it:

The corner marker lenses look pretty good.

So for the coating, I bought a DIY quasi-ceramic coating called "The Last Coat" The lenses were first then I did the whole car. Likely not as long lasting as the professional ceramic coating, but again, the car now spends 99.9% of the time in my garage....
    86 SVO 1C

Looking good Joe! Nice work on the DIY ceramic coating, the lenses look new in the pics.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4