SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E

posting links in the tech area

This info is listed in the rules, but I don't think a lot of you get the idea behind it.

If you post links to off-site tech info, they will get deleted.

Reasons being,
    #1 it's not guaranteed to be there tomorrow.
    #2 it's not searchable

Anyone that's spent 15 minutes on another forum that don't have a similar rule knows what happens when you start searching... you pull up 5 posts that answer your question, but all the links and pics don't work any more.

We do not want that to happen here.
    so if you want to post links to pics only in your classified ad from photo-bucket, that's fine. but that don't work well for tech-area stuff.

Also, if you run across posts that have missing content, please let me know (via PM) so we can get them cleaned up.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 -1E
    Eric, does this rule hold true if I post something from my website that is a technical document? I know my stuff is not going anywhere, nor has it for the last 10 years.

Sure does...
    I trust your site more than about any around, but we never know what might happen tomorrow.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Ok, so if I participate in a discussion where we are talking about the pinout of an engine harness and I reference a wiring diagram from my site, that link will be deleted?

If there is a MAF tuning discussion and I share my tuning procedure link or reference other MAF tuing documents, those will be deleted? It seems like you might want to start building an internal reference library to make this policy work, or not worry about anything technical on your forum.

FYI, my rothfam.com site is not going anywhere tomorrow, next week, or next month.

Can I ask what prompted this rule?

Chris

This isn't new, it's been around for a very long time.
    Anything that needs to be shared can either be posted, if it's too large, it can be sent to me, where I will load it on the server to be accessed. so long as it's not copywrited material.

Chris, I know you say your site isn't going anywhere, but there's always the chance, you lose interest in 2.3's, or lose your job... no one knows what will happen. This has all happened before.
    Dave Comptons site took a ton of material down,
    GT350's site took out quite a bit of content when it went down.
    We're just trying to make sure the info on the site is available when people search for things.
    We're not trying to take credit for anyone's work.... please list your name on anything you contribute.

Run over to corral, search on almost anything, and pull up a post with pics... chances are you wont have to look too hard to find a post with missing content, because it's been moved, or deleted.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I tell you what, when I loose interest in 2.3s or loose my government job, I will donate all of my content to this site.

I don't remember anything of use on Dave Compton's site...unless you wanted to read about Engle 111 cams or Nick at Modern Performance. I have most of his stuff backed up on my server including his original mailing list dumped to a threaded web layout: http://mhonarc.rothfam.com/ <--feel free to delete this link.

GT350R's site was on a geocities website, it was doomed for failure. I have most of Lew's content stashed on my server, but I can't remember the last time I actually used it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    This is exactly the reason why printed books are still selling.
    And exactly why I have scanned my personal collection so I can reference it whenever, wherever.
    Last edited by caroth; 11-17-2009 at 01:47 PM.